Re: [S-R] Hello to all - new to group

  • Jody Gonda
    Message 1 of 13 , May 29, 2008
      John,

      This probably is a long shot ..... but my husband's grandmother is a Mary Molnar - although we believe she was born in Abaujvar, Hungary in 1884 and came to the US in the early 1900's. When your Mary Molnar came to the US, where did she live?

      John <john248g@...> wrote:
      I am researching my family history. My GGmother Mary MOLNAR (I know
      Hungarian hame) was born in Trecian Tepla(SP?)in 1890, she resided in
      Holik(sp?) before coming to America ca 1912. Her parents were Istevan
      (Steven) MOLNAR and Angelina BALUSK(a), she many siblings of which
      approximatly half died in the great flu epidemic in the early 1900's or
      so I was told. I am unaware of any of the remaining siblings coming to
      America but some may have. I would looe to find out more about the
      region, Culture, and maybe get research Advice as I have hit a
      brickwall overseas. Is there any Census data available, are Churh
      records available, if so how to obtain them, etc. I have really hit a
      brick wall over seas and would love to be able to break through it.
      Thanks.

      Jody

    • Tom Geiss
      Message 2 of 13 , May 29, 2008
        John,
        For openers, you're obviously uncertain of the spelling of the towns.
        I checked the atlas, and the closest thing I could find for the first name was TRENCIANSKE TEPLICE, in northwest Slovakia. The second one"Holik" is properly spelled HOLIC, also northwest, right near the Czech border. As for records, the records would be either in the local church, or, most likely, in the county archives. Tom

        Message 3 of 13 , May 29, 2008
          BASIC RESEARCH HELP
          For basic research help, be sure to visit Bill Tarkulich's excellent
          site at http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/

          >>> was born in Trecian Tepla (SP?) in 1890, she resided in Holik
          (sp?) <<<

          Trecian Tepla (SP?) = Trencianske Teplice is located 71.5 miles NE of
          Bratislava and 6 miles east of Trencin

          CURRENT MAP

          To determine what church records are stored in Slovak arcives . . .
          LDS FICHES (set of 6) LDS #6000786
          Slovak archives. Index of villages is on fiche #6 and page
          references refer to different religions. Most of these church records
          are available on film via your LDS Family History Center. HOWEVER,
          records for western Slovakia have not yet been released and so you
          will have two choices:
          1) Wait for their eventual release, or
          2) Hire a researcher to study the records at the archive in
          Slovakia.
          go there in person to order the film(s). In about a month, the film
          will arrive and you can book a film reader and begin your research.
        • johnqadam
          Message 4 of 13 , May 29, 2008
            >>> Mary MOLNAR . . . Istevan (Steven) MOLNAR and Angelina BALUSK
            (a) <<<

            I checked phone listings for Trencianske Teplice and Holic'. These
            family names exist in the area but no hits in the particular towns.

            SLOVAK TELEPHONE WHITE PAGES
            You might find relatives in Slovakia who have a telephone listing by
            looking them up in the phone book white pages at
            http://telefonny.zoznam.sk/

            To use the search engine, you need to complete all the letters of last
            name e.g.: Adam or Adamova. There is no English version of the web page.

            Peter Nagy offers English-language instructions
            http://www.centroconsult.sk/facilities/phonewp.html
          • Tom Geiss
            Message 5 of 13 , May 29, 2008
              John Q Adam,
              Just wonder if you would happen to have the microfilm number that covers someone who was born in Spisska Nova Ves ( Iglo Hungary), in 1866; Also the film number of the same person's death record in Brezovica Nad Torysou , in, or about , 1946. Tom
              Message 6 of 13 , May 29, 2008
                >>> Just wonder if you would happen to have the microfilm number that
                covers someone who was born in Spisska Nova Ves ( Iglo Hungary), in
                1866; <<<

                1) you didn't specify a religion.
                2) The info is on line at the LDS site

                RC Krsty 1856-1885 Film 1739841

                >>> death record in Brezovica Nad Torysou in 1946 <<<
                That's in the municipal records office.
              • Fred G Kovalyak
                Message 7 of 13 , May 29, 2008
                     I recall a family by the name of Molnar in Adrian/Delancy & Punxsutawney,Pa.
                  However that was  over 40 years ago.
                       FG Kovalyak

                  Message 8 of 13 , May 29, 2008
                    Thank you very much for the info.

                    --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "johnqadam" <johnqadam@...>
                    wrote:

                    > BASIC RESEARCH HELP
                    > For basic research help, be sure to visit Bill Tarkulich's
                    excellent
                    > site at http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/

                    > (sp?) <<<
                    >
                    > Trecian Tepla (SP?) = Trencianske Teplice is located 71.5 miles NE
                    of
                    > Bratislava and 6 miles east of Trencin
                    >
                    > CURRENT MAP
                    > To locate places in Europe, especially if you are not sure of the
                    > proper spelling of the place name, the best reference is found at
                    >
                    > ShtetlSeeker will take you there via Mapquest, Multimap or Google.
                    >
                    > To determine what church records are stored in Slovak
                    arcives . . .
                    > LDS FICHES (set of 6) LDS #6000786
                    > Survey of parish registers in Slovakia up to the time of civil
                    > registration. Provides details of church records that are held in
                    > Slovak archives. Index of villages is on fiche #6 and page
                    > references refer to different religions. Most of these church
                    records
                    > are available on film via your LDS Family History Center. HOWEVER,
                    > records for western Slovakia have not yet been released and so you
                    > will have two choices:
                    > 1) Wait for their eventual release, or
                    > 2) Hire a researcher to study the records at the archive in
                    > Slovakia.
                    > LOCATE YOUR NEAREST FAMILY HISTORY CENTER AND ORDER FILM
                    > You can go to the LDS web site to locate your nearest Family
                    History

                    Message 9 of 13 , May 29, 2008
                      Thank you for the great map!

                      > 1910 HUNGARIAN MAP
                      > The old Hungarian map can be found at:
                      > http://lazarus.elte.hu/hun/maps/1910/nyitra.jpg
                      >
                      > Look in the upper left corner of the map to find Holics [Hungarian
                      sp].

                      > SAVE the map on YOUR computer. OPEN the map in any graphics program.
                      > CUT and PRINT the relevant section of the map. Otherwise, you just
                      get
                      > a corner. This map uses the Hungarian village names that you will
                      > likely find in church records.

                    • Janet Kozlay
                      Message 10 of 13 , May 30, 2008
                        John,

                        If I am correct, your Maria Molnar immigrated on January 25, 1912, from
                        Holak, Trencsen county, aboard The Kroonland to her brother-in-law John
                        Jura. Father, living in Holak, was Istvan Molnar (no "e" in Istvan,
                        Hungarian form of Stephen).

                        Holak is not the same as Holic, but rather an alternate name for Trencianska
                        Tepla. It is just northeast of the city of Trencin, near but not identical
                        with Trencianske Teplice.

                        Holic was in Nyitra county.

                        As far as I can determine, the church records for this village have not yet
                        been released by LDS, so you may have to wait a bit.

                        There are 1828 census records for Tepla (LDS #623161). However, not only is
                        this a bit too early, the 1828 records do not tell you very much. (See
                        discussion of censuses at www.iabsi.com <http://www.iabsi.com/> .)

                        If you cannot wait, you might want to contact a genealogist in the area such
                        as Vladimir Bohinc (www.konekta.sk <http://www.konekta.sk/> ).

                        Janet

                        _____

                        Message 11 of 13 , May 30, 2008
                          John, there is a nice photo of this village at
                          http://www.trencianskatepla.sk <http://www.trencianskatepla.sk/> .

                          Trencianska Tepla has a population of about 4000.

                          Janet

                          _____

                          <http://www.iabsi.com/> com/> .)

                          If you cannot wait, you might want to contact a genealogist in the area such
                          as Vladimir Bohinc (www.konekta.sk <http://www.konekta
                          <http://www.konekta.sk/> sk/> ).

                          Janet

                          _____

                          From: SLOVAK-ROOTS@ <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com> yahoogroups.com
                          yahoogroups.com] On
                          Behalf Of John
                          Sent: Thursday, May 29, 2008 6:16 AM
                          To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@ <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com> yahoogroups.com

                        • bill.tarkulich@iabsi.com
                          Message 12 of 13 , May 30, 2008
                            Trencianska Tepla
                            ILAVA has Jewish records
                            OPATOVA has RC records
                            TRENCINSKA TEPLA has RC records 1782-1895
                            TRENCIN has Evangelica records

                            I agree with Janet, the RC records are not yet available at the FHL.

                            Bill