Hello to all - new to group

  • John
    Message 1 of 13 , May 29 4:16 AM
      I am researching my family history. My GGmother Mary MOLNAR (I know
      Hungarian hame) was born in Trecian Tepla(SP?)in 1890, she resided in
      Holik(sp?) before coming to America ca 1912. Her parents were Istevan
      (Steven) MOLNAR and Angelina BALUSK(a), she many siblings of which
      approximatly half died in the great flu epidemic in the early 1900's or
      so I was told. I am unaware of any of the remaining siblings coming to
      America but some may have. I would looe to find out more about the
      region, Culture, and maybe get research Advice as I have hit a
      brickwall overseas. Is there any Census data available, are Churh
      records available, if so how to obtain them, etc. I have really hit a
      brick wall over seas and would love to be able to break through it.
      Thanks.
    • Jody Gonda

        Message 3 of 13 , May 29 7:10 AM
          John,
          For openers, you're obviously uncertain of the spelling of the towns.
          I checked the atlas, and the closest thing I could find for the first name was TRENCIANSKE TEPLICE, in northwest Slovakia. The second one"Holik" is properly spelled HOLIC, also northwest, right near the Czech border. As for records, the records would be either in the local church, or, most likely, in the county archives. Tom

          Message 4 of 13 , May 29 11:01 AM
            BASIC RESEARCH HELP
            For basic research help, be sure to visit Bill Tarkulich's excellent
            site at http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/

            >>> was born in Trecian Tepla (SP?) in 1890, she resided in Holik
            (sp?) <<<

            Trecian Tepla (SP?) = Trencianske Teplice is located 71.5 miles NE of
            Bratislava and 6 miles east of Trencin

            CURRENT MAP

            To determine what church records are stored in Slovak arcives . . .
            LDS FICHES (set of 6) LDS #6000786
            Slovak archives. Index of villages is on fiche #6 and page
            references refer to different religions. Most of these church records
            are available on film via your LDS Family History Center. HOWEVER,
            records for western Slovakia have not yet been released and so you
            will have two choices:
            1) Wait for their eventual release, or
            2) Hire a researcher to study the records at the archive in
            Slovakia.
            go there in person to order the film(s). In about a month, the film
            will arrive and you can book a film reader and begin your research.
          • johnqadam
            Message 5 of 13 , May 29 11:29 AM
              >>> Mary MOLNAR . . . Istevan (Steven) MOLNAR and Angelina BALUSK
              (a) <<<

              I checked phone listings for Trencianske Teplice and Holic'. These
              family names exist in the area but no hits in the particular towns.

              SLOVAK TELEPHONE WHITE PAGES
              You might find relatives in Slovakia who have a telephone listing by
              looking them up in the phone book white pages at
              http://telefonny.zoznam.sk/

              To use the search engine, you need to complete all the letters of last
              name e.g.: Adam or Adamova. There is no English version of the web page.

              Peter Nagy offers English-language instructions
              http://www.centroconsult.sk/facilities/phonewp.html
            • Tom Geiss
              Message 6 of 13 , May 29 11:59 AM
                John Q Adam,
                Just wonder if you would happen to have the microfilm number that covers someone who was born in Spisska Nova Ves ( Iglo Hungary), in 1866; Also the film number of the same person's death record in Brezovica Nad Torysou , in, or about , 1946. Tom
                Message 7 of 13 , May 29 1:56 PM
                  >>> Just wonder if you would happen to have the microfilm number that
                  covers someone who was born in Spisska Nova Ves ( Iglo Hungary), in
                  1866; <<<

                  1) you didn't specify a religion.
                  2) The info is on line at the LDS site

                  RC Krsty 1856-1885 Film 1739841

                  >>> death record in Brezovica Nad Torysou in 1946 <<<
                  That's in the municipal records office.
                • Fred G Kovalyak
                  Message 8 of 13 , May 29 6:29 PM
                       I recall a family by the name of Molnar in Adrian/Delancy & Punxsutawney,Pa.
                    However that was  over 40 years ago.
                         FG Kovalyak

                    Message 9 of 13 , May 29 7:08 PM
                      Thank you very much for the info.

                      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "johnqadam" <johnqadam@...>
                      wrote:

                      > BASIC RESEARCH HELP
                      > For basic research help, be sure to visit Bill Tarkulich's
                      excellent
                      > site at http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/

                      > (sp?) <<<
                      >
                      > Trecian Tepla (SP?) = Trencianske Teplice is located 71.5 miles NE
                      of
                      > Bratislava and 6 miles east of Trencin
                      >
                      > CURRENT MAP
                      > To locate places in Europe, especially if you are not sure of the
                      > proper spelling of the place name, the best reference is found at
                      >
                      > ShtetlSeeker will take you there via Mapquest, Multimap or Google.
                      >
                      > To determine what church records are stored in Slovak
                      arcives . . .
                      > LDS FICHES (set of 6) LDS #6000786
                      > Survey of parish registers in Slovakia up to the time of civil
                      > registration. Provides details of church records that are held in
                      > Slovak archives. Index of villages is on fiche #6 and page
                      > references refer to different religions. Most of these church
                      records
                      > are available on film via your LDS Family History Center. HOWEVER,
                      > records for western Slovakia have not yet been released and so you
                      > will have two choices:
                      > 1) Wait for their eventual release, or
                      > 2) Hire a researcher to study the records at the archive in
                      > Slovakia.
                      > LOCATE YOUR NEAREST FAMILY HISTORY CENTER AND ORDER FILM
                      > You can go to the LDS web site to locate your nearest Family
                      History

                      Message 10 of 13 , May 29 7:11 PM
                        Thank you for the great map!

                        > 1910 HUNGARIAN MAP
                        > The old Hungarian map can be found at:
                        > http://lazarus.elte.hu/hun/maps/1910/nyitra.jpg
                        >
                        > Look in the upper left corner of the map to find Holics [Hungarian
                        sp].

                        > SAVE the map on YOUR computer. OPEN the map in any graphics program.
                        > CUT and PRINT the relevant section of the map. Otherwise, you just
                        get
                        > a corner. This map uses the Hungarian village names that you will
                        > likely find in church records.

                      • Janet Kozlay
                        Message 11 of 13 , May 30 6:38 AM
                          John,

                          If I am correct, your Maria Molnar immigrated on January 25, 1912, from
                          Holak, Trencsen county, aboard The Kroonland to her brother-in-law John
                          Jura. Father, living in Holak, was Istvan Molnar (no "e" in Istvan,
                          Hungarian form of Stephen).

                          Holak is not the same as Holic, but rather an alternate name for Trencianska
                          Tepla. It is just northeast of the city of Trencin, near but not identical
                          with Trencianske Teplice.

                          Holic was in Nyitra county.

                          As far as I can determine, the church records for this village have not yet
                          been released by LDS, so you may have to wait a bit.

                          There are 1828 census records for Tepla (LDS #623161). However, not only is
                          this a bit too early, the 1828 records do not tell you very much. (See
                          discussion of censuses at www.iabsi.com <http://www.iabsi.com/> .)

                          If you cannot wait, you might want to contact a genealogist in the area such
                          as Vladimir Bohinc (www.konekta.sk <http://www.konekta.sk/> ).

                          Janet

                          _____

                          Message 12 of 13 , May 30 8:05 AM
                            John, there is a nice photo of this village at
                            http://www.trencianskatepla.sk <http://www.trencianskatepla.sk/> .

                            Trencianska Tepla has a population of about 4000.

                            Janet

                            _____

                            <http://www.iabsi.com/> com/> .)

                            If you cannot wait, you might want to contact a genealogist in the area such
                            as Vladimir Bohinc (www.konekta.sk <http://www.konekta
                            <http://www.konekta.sk/> sk/> ).

                            Janet

                            _____

                            From: SLOVAK-ROOTS@ <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com> yahoogroups.com
                            yahoogroups.com] On
                            Behalf Of John
                            Sent: Thursday, May 29, 2008 6:16 AM
                            To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@ <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com> yahoogroups.com

                          • bill.tarkulich@iabsi.com
                            Message 13 of 13 , May 30 9:50 AM
                              Trencianska Tepla
                              ILAVA has Jewish records
                              OPATOVA has RC records
                              TRENCINSKA TEPLA has RC records 1782-1895
                              TRENCIN has Evangelica records

                              I agree with Janet, the RC records are not yet available at the FHL.

                              Bill