RE: Sarisske Jastrabie

  • Gil Kubancsek
    Message 1 of 32 , May 22, 2008
      Liza,

      There are many Filickos in Sarisske Jastrabie. There are at least ten Filickos listed in the telephone directory.

      A distant cousin, Zusana Firerova (DOB 1930) , married Mickulas Filicko (1925-1990) in 1950. They had four children, Maria, Emil, Juraj, & Helena. Zusana is in failing health and lives with her daughter Maria & husband Ivan Bobalik.

      The name Macura appears familiar. I may have seen it when I was studying the SJ & Lubotin church records. Other than Macura, none of the other names you mention are familiar to me.

      The current Greek Catholic Church was built in 1818. The church it replaced dated back to the 1700s. It was torn down and an elder care home was being erected on location in July 2001.

      There is no Roman Catholic Church In SJ. Many of my Firer relatives attended the RC Church in the town of Lubotin which is about 3 KM from SJ.

      Gil Kubancsek

      Lisa Marzonie <lmbookworm@...> wrote:

      My husband was there very briefly 3 years ago. He was with cousins who had planned the trip, so he stuck with their iteinerary and had no time to do his own genealogy. I see there are a couple Macuras/Macurovas buried there, and there are some Filickos ----there's a Macura who married a Filicko. That's all we know. My husband did get a couple pictures of the Greek Catholic Church which is old enough for his grandfather to have been baptized there. He didn't see any records, however, and he doesn't speak Slovak, so in their very brief visit, he wasn't able to ask questions. Other than the Macuras, I think other family members (Karoly, Baronkay, Lessenyey, etc.) may be from other towns. If any of these names are familiar to anyone, please let me know.
      Lisa

    • Gil Kubancsek