Brezovica

  • Tom Geiss
    Message 1 of 55 , May 19, 2008
      Dear Members,
      Hi. I've been here before, but I've beenaway for awhile.
      My grandmother was born in Spisska Nova Ves, in 1873 (it was called Iglo, Hungary at the time). One older brother was JOSKA (JOSEF?) GURKA. My grandma was Amalia Gurkova. She died in 1939, in Cleveland, Ohio, having come to America in 1889.
      Well, I recently heard of a letter that had been sent to her by a PIRI GURKOVA, from a place called BREZOVICA NAD TORYSOU.
      I have a friend in Spisska Nova Ves, who I informed about this; and she then called someone in Brezovica, to ask if anyone knew of the Gurka family. She was told " Oh yes, we know of them, but the Gurka castle is in ruins, and the Gurkas are all gone".
      As the days unfolded, she learned more, that there was a Josef Gurka, born in 1866, died in 1946. His wife ,Terezia was born in 1875, died in 1954. Their one son was captured, and shot in WW1. The whole town was in mourning. Church bells tolled for three days.
      They had at least three daughters , RUZENA, ALZBETA, and TEREZIA
      all teachers, who may have taught in Brezovica area, until the communists came in the forties, when the girls went to Kosice, to teach, where they are likely buried.
      Their house and property were taken over by the communists, and are, apparently, still state property today, which would account for it being "in ruins".
      I would appreciate any information I can get regarding Brezovica Nad Torysou. Tom

    • tom geiss
      Message 55 of 55 , Nov 29, 2011
        Thanks for looking Dennis . I know that looking at those records is very time consuming (Been there done that).
        I presume we're talking about "Brezovica Nad Torysou" as there's another Brezovica in the west?
        I have made a lot of progress there though, including having "eyes on the ground".
        Thanks again, Tom