Passports

  • Andrea Vangor
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 15 10:27 PM
      I have just learned that my great-aunt, who immigrated in 1902 and married
      in this country, returned to Slovakia for a visit to show off her new baby.
      Do you suppose that she would have had to apply for a passport, and would
      there perhaps have been a photograph at that date?
    • Joseph zima
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 21, 2002
        Hello to everyone,

        I assume our ancestors who left Slovakia needed a passport. Where would I search for passport applications/records for my grandparents?

        Thanks!!!

        Joe Zima

      • thomas henceroth
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 21, 2002
          My great grand mother and great aunt couldn't get a
          passport to leave Slovakia, so my great grand father
          (who was already here) sent money to the post master
          in the village to pay someone who could get a passport
          to get one. She then came over on the other woman's
          passport. I suspect this happened often.

          http://mailplus.yahoo.com
        • Gregory J. Kopchak
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 21, 2002
            Yes, it was less than rare to have immigrants arrive
            without the correct docs.

            The Austro-Hungarian rules put many restrictions on
            immigration.

            I know a case where 3 men arrived all using the same
            ID which was sent back and reused by the next one.

            Go to http://www.iarelative.com/hung1903/ to read
            about the problems faced by your ancestors looking
            to leave Austria-Hungary.

            Be sure to read the The Hungarian Emigration Law of 1903
            posted there which applied to Slovakia at the time.

            Greg Kopchak
            It's All Relative

            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 22, 2002
              Thomas,

              Why do you suspect "this happened often." Have you conducted a study? Have
              you seen the results of a statistical study? If not, off-the-cuff remarks
              such as this is what starts rumors and miss-information.

              Frank R. Plichta
              "Searching the World for PLICHTAs"
              "Ja hl'adanie na celom svete za PLICHTA."
              "Das die Welt fuer PLICHTA suchen."
              "Je cherche le monde pour la famille PLICHTA."
              "Buscando el mundo por los PLICHTA."
              "Quaerere summa reum familia PLICHTA."
              I would appreciate receiving ANY information, about ANY Plichta, from ANY
              place, at ANY time in history.

              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 22, 2002
                Dear Mr.Zima,
                There are only a few books, that have such limited information.I know one of
                Bardejov and One of the Bratislava area. Please, write me directly for
                details.
                Regards,
                Vladimir
                I assume our ancestors who left Slovakia needed a passport. Where would I
                search for passport applications/records for my grandparents?

                Thanks!!!

                Joe Zima

                Yahoo! Groups Sponsor