RC puts hold on LDS cooperation

  • Ron Matviyak
    Message 1 of 24 , May 13, 2008
      http://deseretnews.com/article/1%2C5143%2C695276377%2C00.html

      The Catholic Church has ordered dioceses across the globe not to give
      information in parish registers to members of The Church of Jesus
      Christ of Latter-day Saints.

      The Vatican Congregation for Clergy issued a letter directing all
      Catholic bishops to keep LDS members from microfilming and digitizing
      information in registers, according to the Catholic News Service.

      CNS reported the Vatican had "grave reservations" about the LDS
      Church's practice of posthumous baptisms by proxy, a practice in which
      the names of the deceased are baptized into the LDS faith so that they
      may be united in the afterlife with LDS families, if they so choose.

      Father James Massa, executive director of the U.S. bishop's
      Secretariat of Ecumenical and Interreligious Affairs is quoted by CNS
      as saying the step was taken to prevent LDS members from using the
      records.

      "The congregation requests that the conference notifies each diocesan
      bishop in order to ensure that such a detrimental practice is not
      permitted in his territory, due to the confidentiality of the faithful
      and as not to cooperate with the erroneous practices of The Church of
      Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints," CNS reports the Vatican letter
      stating.
      The letter was issued April 5, 10 days before Pope Benedict XVI's U.S.
      visit, which included an ecumenical prayer service attended by two LDS
      leaders. CNS reports this was the first time Mormons had participated
      in a papal prayer service.

      LDS Church spokesman Scott Trotter said the LDS First Presidency
      hadn't had a chance to review the actual letter. "We haven't seen the
      letter yet, so it's premature to say anything," Trotter said. Church
      spokesman Mike Otterson said the church may have more to say on the
      subject later in the week and that LDS officials had not yet made
      contact with Vatican representatives about the issue.

      Father Massa is quoted as saying he could see how the move could
      strain relations between the two churches. "It certainly has that
      potential," CNS quotes Father Massa as saying. "But I would also say
      that the purpose of interreligious dialogue is not to only identify
      agreements, but also to understand our differences. As Catholics, we
      have to make very clear to them their practice of so-called rebaptism
      is unacceptable from the standpoint of Catholic truth."

      CNS quotes Msgr. J. Terrence Fitzgerald, vicar general of the Diocese
      of Salt Lake City, as saying he didn't understand why the LDS church
      was singled out by the Vatican letter. "We have a policy not to give
      out baptismal records to anyone unless they are entitled to have
      them," Msgr. Fitzgerald told CNS. "That isn't just for the Church of
      the Latter-day Saints. That is for all groups."

      The move by the Vatican could have a profound impact on the ability of
      genealogy researchers to trace many family histories.

      Russell Bangerter has been doing professional genealogy research since
      1979 and has a degree in genealogy family history from BYU. Bangerter
      said his clients, from many faiths, all have an interest in creating a
      bond with their heritage.

      "Some of them are LDS and some of them are not LDS. They simply just
      want to know their roots," Bangerter said.

      He said he has used parish registers in his research before. Bangerter
      said a typical parish register, Catholic as well as those of other
      Christian faiths, contain christening and birth data, marriage data as
      well as deaths and burial information.

      Bangerter said much of his research doesn't have anything to do with
      religious work, and closing those records simply hurts families who
      want to know their roots.

      "There's also the ecumenical side of things," Bangerter said. He
      points to the LDS Church's own Family History Library, in which people
      from all walks of life are welcome to access data. "I've seen all
      kinds of people there. I've seen rabbis, I've seen nuns and I've seen
      priests there as well."
    • lkocik@comcast.net
      Message 2 of 24 , May 13, 2008
        Ron
        I'm ashamed I was ever a catholic..this is just another example of how contolling and manipulative they are.
        larry

        Message 3 of 24 , May 14, 2008
          Hi Larry,
          What I am grateful for is that the Church did not intefere when LDS was
          filming in Poland and Slovakia. I obtained much information from their reels.
          But honestly, I still would have found my family in Poland and Slovakia
          without LDS. It just made for a nice chart. I found the volunteers at the LDS
          research room friendly and helpful and very Christian.
          I am not ashamed of being Catholic because rules are rules. I did leave the
          church for five years some time ago, but came back and found that I am
          happier as a Catholic. So, I take the good with the bad. My 93 year young aunt
          always says to me that "We are all wired differently, dearie" and this is
          true.
          Noreen

          Ron
          I'm ashamed I was ever a catholic..this is just another example of how
          contolling and manipulative they are.
          larry

          favorites at AOL Food.

          Message 4 of 24 , May 14, 2008
            Folks,

            Let's stay on topic: Genealogy. There are better-suited forums for
            discussing and debating positions on religion.

            Thanks.
            Message 5 of 24 , May 14, 2008
              While this news is greatly disappointing, it should not affect any RC
              or RC rite church records that were already put into the Czech or
              Slovak Republic Archives, since those were considered state property
              and the LDS agreement was with the respective state archive.

              With regard to any records filmed directly at a church, I would
              suspect that those films too would remain in the LDS collection,
              unless their is some right of rescission clause in their agreement.
              It will be interesting to see how the FHL responds, if at all. They
              tend to be pretty low-key in terms of press releases however.
            • Sue
              Message 6 of 24 , May 14, 2008
                Utah's catholic bishop reponds to Vatican letter banning help with LDS
                SALT LAKE CITY (ABC 4 News) - For the first time since the controversy
                erupted, Utah's Catholic Bishop is talking about a recent letter from
                the Vatican. That letter instructs Catholic dioceses not to share
                parish information with the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day
                Saints.

                READ MORE AT
                http://www.abc4.com/news/local/story.aspx?content_id=57ef5aba-f7dc-
                4066-
                97cf-5d2bdd2f815c

                OR TRY
                http://tinyurl.com/6gcvsj

                <bill.tarkulich@...> wrote:

                > While this news is greatly disappointing, it should not affect any
                RC
                > or RC rite church records that were already put into the Czech or
                > Slovak Republic Archives, since those were considered state property
                > and the LDS agreement was with the respective state archive.
                >
                > With regard to any records filmed directly at a church, I would
                > suspect that those films too would remain in the LDS collection,
                > unless their is some right of rescission clause in their agreement.
                > It will be interesting to see how the FHL responds, if at all. They
                > tend to be pretty low-key in terms of press releases however.

              • Edie
                Message 7 of 24 , May 14, 2008
                  Hi, all,

                  The newspaper article could be wrong, also. It would be nice for me if I could find an article written by a Catholic priest or bishop about this subject to verify the authenticity. I don't really understand why the Catholic Church would spend time and energy caring what others do with the records.
                  Just my opinion,
                  edie

                  Message 8 of 24 , May 14, 2008
                    Edie,
                    I agree with opening up the records, but would expect that they follow the
                    70 year rule so that anyone living would not be hurt by them.
                    Noreen

                    Hi, all,

                    The newspaper article could be wrong, also. It would be nice for me if I
                    could find an article written by a Catholic priest or bishop about this subject
                    to verify the authenticity. I don't really understand why the Catholic Church
                    would spend time and energy caring what others do with the records.
                    Just my opinion,
                    edie

                    favorites at AOL Food.

                  • jenna-m

                      Message 10 of 24 , May 14, 2008
                        I'll try to respond to this question - I post very rarely. As implied in the preceding message, the protection of information about living persons is very important. Those of us doing genealogy need to understand this. That is why US census information past 1930 has not been made public. We have to wait until 2010 to see the 1940 census.

                        I believe that 70 years was selected because the average life time was somewhat less when the "rules" were installed. Others may have a better explanation, but I think that most holders of public records use 70 years for holding personal information. The US Social Security information is released sooner (almost real time) because deaths are public information and the person who died cannot be "exposed" to malicious use of their data.

                        Philip Baer

                        In a message dated 05/14/08 23:12:22 W. Europe Standard Time, broni03@... writes:
                        What is the 70 year rule?

                        Jenna

                        Message 11 of 24 , May 15, 2008
                          Good point.
                          Thanks,

                          Message 12 of 24 , May 15, 2008
                            In a message dated 5/15/2008 12:16:44 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
                            sando1@... writes:

                            I don't really understand why the Catholic Church
                            would spend time and energy caring what others do with the records.

                            I should think the Roman Catholic Church would be happy to know that so many
                            researchers, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, have found their family roots
                            using the vast, available-to-all resources of the Mormon Church's Family
                            History Center in Salt Lake, or through one of it's worldwide Family History
                            Centers. It's a generosity on their part for which I, a Catholic, am truly
                            grateful.

                            Eugene Klodzen
                            Virginia

                            favorites at AOL Food.

                          • Edie
                            Message 13 of 24 , May 15, 2008
                              Yeah, me, too. I'm Catholic and I'm grateful for information that I have found on the family search site.
                              edie

                              Message 14 of 24 , May 15, 2008
                                --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Edie" <sando1@...> wrote:

                                > Yeah, me, too. I'm Catholic and I'm grateful for information that I
                                have found on the family search site.
                                > edie
                                > This is a matter of theology, not genealogy. Please read the
                                article, "Mormonism's Baptism for the Dead" in the Original Catholic
                                Encyclopedia at
                                http://www.catholic.com/library/Mormonism_Baptism_for_the_Dead.asp

                                The religious practices of both clash, as the Mormom's involuntary
                                conversation of dead Catholics is repugnant and contradictory to
                                Catholic dogma. I for one wondered how long Catholic nations would
                                allow microfilming of church records. I appreciate both points of
                                view, and I appreciate the microfilms made available to me.

                                Enough said. Could we cut this thread?
                                Carolyn

                              • Michele Baker
                                Message 15 of 24 , May 15, 2008
                                  Yes, me too! I have even thanked LDS members who come to my door for other
                                  reasons. It is not likely our opinions would impact the decision the church
                                  has made on this matter, but it would be nice if there were a church website
                                  to make our opinions known. Anyone have an idea?

                                  Michele

                                  _____

                                  Message 16 of 24 , May 15, 2008
                                    Please end this thread.

                                    Bill has already addressed the subject. This is not
                                    the type of "genealogy" we are here to discuss.

                                    Thank you.

                                    Dr. "Q"

                                  • nhasior@aol.com
                                    Message 17 of 24 , May 16, 2008
                                      I was not aware that LDS members came to houses. I thought it was Jehovah
                                      witnesses who did this.
                                      This is a big surprise to me.
                                      Noreen

                                      Message 18 of 24 , May 16, 2008
                                        The young men on their mission are the ones I've encountered.

                                        Michele

                                        _____

                                        I was not aware that LDS members came to houses. I thought it was Jehovah
                                        witnesses who did this.
                                        This is a big surprise to me.
                                        Noreen

                                        Yes, me too! I have even thanked LDS members who come to my door for other
                                        reasons. It is not likely our opinions would impact the decision the church
                                        has made on this matter, but it would be nice if there were a church website
                                        to make our opinions known. Anyone have an idea?

                                        Michele

                                        favorites at AOL Food.
                                        (http://food. <http://food.aol.com/dinner-tonight?NCID=aolfod00030000000001>
                                        aol.com/dinner-tonight?NCID=aolfod00030000000001)

                                      • jahornick
                                        Message 19 of 24 , May 16, 2008
                                          Michele,
                                          If you meant an LDS website, go to lds.org. At the top of the
                                          homepage you will see Search|A-Z Index|Feedback|Help|Languages.
                                          Click on "Feedback".

                                          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Michele Baker" <mbaker4@...>

                                          ROOTS@yahoogroups.com] On
                                          > Behalf Of nhasior@...
                                          > Sent: Friday, May 16, 2008 4:33 AM
                                          > To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com
                                          > Subject: Re: [S-R] RC puts hold on LDS cooperation
                                          >

                                          > I was not aware that LDS members came to houses. I thought it was
                                          Jehovah
                                          > witnesses who did this.
                                          > This is a big surprise to me.
                                          > Noreen
                                          >

                                          > Yes, me too! I have even thanked LDS members who come to my door
                                          for other
                                          > reasons. It is not likely our opinions would impact the decision
                                          the church
                                          > has made on this matter, but it would be nice if there were a
                                          church website
                                          > to make our opinions known. Anyone have an idea?
                                          >
                                          > Michele
                                          >
                                          > **************Wondering what's for Dinner Tonight? Get new twists
                                          on family
                                          > favorites at AOL Food.
                                          > (http://food. <http://food.aol.com/dinner-tonight?
                                          NCID=aolfod00030000000001>
                                          > aol.com/dinner-tonight?NCID=aolfod00030000000001)

                                        • Caye Caswick
                                          Message 20 of 24 , May 16, 2008

                                            yeah, it's Jehova's Witnesses that go door-to-door, Latter Day Saints don't do such.

                                            Caye

                                            wrote:

                                            > The young men on their mission are the ones I've encountered.
                                            >
                                            > Michele
                                            >

                                            > _____

                                          • Ben Sorensen
                                            Message 21 of 24 , May 16, 2008
                                              ok, I am not mormon, and I promise to be quiet after this, but this "setback" is not really going to affect us that much. the LDS have already documented so much info that the Vatican's response to recent events is NOT going to eradicate the archives.

                                              However, I have just asked the Vatican for an address so that we may petition them. I expect a response shortly, and i will call monday.
                                              Ben

                                              Message 22 of 24 , May 16, 2008
                                                sorry, about half of this email did not make it. :-P

                                                I am going to call the Vatican number (on www.vatican.va) to get an address for us.

                                                And I meant to mention that BYU has some free courses on the "independent study" section about family history that you may have some interest in. Check it out!
                                                Ben
                                                PS- sorry about that previous email.... and back to studying and lurking for me... :-D
                                                Ben

                                                Message 23 of 24 , May 16, 2008
                                                  Caye,

                                                  You live in the wrong neighborhood. They drop by my house once or
                                                  twice a year. .... well, and maybe four other save-me churches as well.

                                                  Ron

                                                  --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Caye Caswick <ccaswick@...> wrote:

                                                  > yeah, it's Jehova's Witnesses that go door-to-door, Latter Day
                                                  Saints don't do such.

                                                  > Caye

                                                • Nick Holcz
                                                  Message 24 of 24 , May 17, 2008
                                                    Caye, afraid your incorrect there. That is why LDS people go on missions.

                                                    regards
                                                    Nick