Re: Vizsla, Hungary

  • johnqadam
    Message 1 of 6 , May 9, 2008
      CURRENT MAP

      Vizslás is located 48°03' 19°49'

    • david1law@aol.com
      Message 2 of 6 , May 9, 2008
        Hello:

        There is also a Hungarian breed of dog named VIZSLA. It is apparently named
        after the place of the same name. Here's a good link.

        _http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hungarian_Vizsla_
        (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hungarian_Vizsla)

        Best regards,

        David

        favorites at AOL Food.

      • Janet Kozlay
        Message 3 of 6 , May 9, 2008
          Dear Diana,

          If you are inquiring about the village of Vizslás in Nógrád megye, the
          following is a very rough translation from Borovszky (early 19th century):

          A hamlet lying along the Budapest-Ruttka rail line. It appeared as a
          Hungarian puszta in 1456 and was given to Mihaly Darocz by King Laszlo V. It
          appears in the tax records for 1548 but not in the later censuses. It was
          occupied by the Turks during the Ottoman Empire. The village appears again
          in the 1715 census (17 households) and in 1720 (13 households). A Roman
          Catholic church was built there in 1843. Cholera ravaged the village in 1873
          and the whole town was destroyed by fire 1890. Istvan Baranyay was the
          largest landowner and built a “pretty mansion” there.

          The tiny village still exists, so it must have been rebuilt following the
          fire.

          The name may have something to do with water (vizi in Hungarian), but I
          can’t be sure. It may or may not have anything to do with the dog breed of
          Vizsla.

          A look at the 1715 census records shows the following family names: Pap,
          Vincze, Sandor (several), Kakuk, Jakab, Gregorius, Berta, Lom, Dudas, and
          Toth.

          Hope you find some of this helpful.

          Janet

          _____

          Message 4 of 6 , May 9, 2008
            THANK YOU!

            I wrote an historical piece about the 1920 rebirth of the Vizsla, Hungarian National Breed a year ago. Since it is May and time for Treaty of Trianon time, I dusted it off & pulled it out. Since writing it, I have been doing historical drawings of past Magyar items of interest so I can illustrate it.

            I sent the text version public a week ago & have gotten in response determined arguments, some things that never could have happened because the other story combines both World War stories into one.

            One of the references were the town of "Vizsla" which they claim was named after the dog breed. Never mind when a documented source says the town was established before 1200, another source indicates that we had dog types not dog breeds until 1400 (Gaston Phebus "Book of Hunting") They say the town proves the existence of the Vizsla. I found another source that said the town was named after a group of peoples called "the seekers".

            One of the huge problems of Vizsla history is the lack of verifiable information. Breed authors which includes my dad, all have conflicting historical information because that is what they got. None of the Vhistory authors so far explored, language origins or the history as it was at those times of whatever story is percolating. Nor is much common sense appears used in some of them. Maybe the problem is in translation.

            For instance there are several stories that Magyar would smuggle a dog out by heeling it to an airstrip. Put the owner's jacket on it. Put the dog on "down". Leave the area totally. Plane flies in & finds dog still lying under the jacket & then flies off with dog. Come back next day. Dog & jacket gone. I think that makes for a nice story but how many dogs are going to remain under a jacket & have a plane land near by?

            There are other several recurring references which includes the Vizsla Hungary tale that I will be doing further research on this summer. I fully intend to write a Vizsla history book, or rather CD's this year, which is why I joined several European listservs. Most of them I dropped off, but have hung on to this one because of your cohesiveness & ability to help me put history in time frames. I can watch the Slavs trace their genealogy that also includes accompanying information about the peoples.

            Another reason this listserv has consistently intrigued me is because Czechoslovakia was the only country to get out after the Russians rolled through with five generation pedigrees and less dogs killed by the Russians and nobles who destroyed many Vizslas to prevent their falling into Russian hands. The best fifties imports came from Czechoslovakia in paperwork, conformation & field ability. There have to be good reasons why this has been so.

            I have learned a lot about how to research from S-R. Your unwitting support has been invaluable. Some items like the one-two city "rule" for marriage applies also likely applies to dog breeding which limits choices & may affect stories as true, that might not be.....like that age old story the Magyars were Master Breeders ;-) I can post the May Flowers historical article I wrote, but since it really isn't on topic, will do so only if permitted by Bill. I would like to have it "verified/questioned/re-documented", please contact me privately if you have a curiosity twitch.

            For now, I am digging up info about Vizsla, Hungary. Late summer I intend to complete my CD book & could use help editing, challenging whatever ends up getting printed. I will give official credit to all that help, you just can;t have the veritable fortune derived. (laugh out loud) Until then, I will keep an eye on you guys, dig through your Archives, have fun learning. dlb