Re: [S-R] Surname Spellings

  • J Michutka
    Message 1 of 6 , May 8, 2008
      On May 8, 2008, at 11:13 AM, Michael Mojher wrote:

      > Since every letter is pronounced in Slovak it is interesting
      > that Mojcher is pronounced with a silent C, MOI-hair not MOI-chair.
      > The remaining mystery is how the L that was used for so long
      > was changed into a J. There are a number of years where both
      > letters were used and the same recorder was making the entry.

      While Slovak may not have silent letters as English does, there is
      another way to account for the variations between h and ch--my
      understanding is that they represent nearly the same sound in Slovak,
      articulated exactly the same except that one is voiced and one is
      unvoiced, similar to the difference in the English -th- in "think"
      and "this". And like the -th- in English, the Slovak -ch- represents
      one sound.... we'd never say that one of the letters in -th- is
      silent, it represents its own sound, distinct from either of the
      letters (t and h) that are used.

      Julie Michutka
      jmm@...