Re: [S-R] Surname Spellings

  • Michael Mojher
    Message 1 of 6 , May 8, 2008
      David,
      I went back and found when the C began to be used. From the handwriting I could tell that a new person was the recorder. He wrote MOJ and lifted the pen off the paper. When he began HER the beginning stroke created a small C. The next time there was an entry the C was larger and proportional the the other letters.
      Since every letter is pronounced in Slovak it is interesting that Mojcher is pronounced with a silent C, MOI-hair not MOI-chair.
      The remaining mystery is how the L that was used for so long was changed into a J. There are a number of years where both letters were used and the same recorder was making the entry.

      Message 2 of 6 , May 8, 2008
        Alan,
        It was interesting that the same scribe, obvious by the handwriting, would use both MOLCHER and MOJCHER during the same year and a couple of times the same month. I found this in both Latin and Hungarian records.

        Message 3 of 6 , May 8, 2008
          On May 8, 2008, at 11:13 AM, Michael Mojher wrote:

          > Since every letter is pronounced in Slovak it is interesting
          > that Mojcher is pronounced with a silent C, MOI-hair not MOI-chair.
          > The remaining mystery is how the L that was used for so long
          > was changed into a J. There are a number of years where both
          > letters were used and the same recorder was making the entry.

          While Slovak may not have silent letters as English does, there is
          another way to account for the variations between h and ch--my
          understanding is that they represent nearly the same sound in Slovak,
          articulated exactly the same except that one is voiced and one is
          unvoiced, similar to the difference in the English -th- in "think"
          and "this". And like the -th- in English, the Slovak -ch- represents
          one sound.... we'd never say that one of the letters in -th- is
          silent, it represents its own sound, distinct from either of the
          letters (t and h) that are used.

          Julie Michutka
          jmm@...