Re: Microfiche/film Research

  • sabinov@xxxxx.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 25 2:33 PM
      First of all, a minor (but important) correction -

      microfiche are small sheets that you view one at a time, and can be had
      for .15 each via your FHC (if the information is published on fiche not
      film)

      You are referring to -rolls- of information, which are microfilm.

      Anyway... here is my suggestion. If you know your people stayed in that
      area, start with the persons you know, obtain their parents etc. Once
      you have the persons documented that you know, search the birth and
      death records for other children and adults of the same surnames that
      you didn't know. In my experience, you'll find several children who died
      young that you didn't know existed.

      Also, search for the surnames in the column of godparents, as that may
      give you some clues on friends and family of the couple. I've found many
      instances where the godparents were siblings of the parents.

      I make copies of pages depending on how many I find and if they are
      primarily related to me, or if I only suspect they are related. However,
      I obtained one roll at a time of the Sabinov records, and paid to keep
      it on permanent loan, then I'd order the previous roll.
      Mostly tho I write it down on paper, noting the film # and page # of the
      entry if I want to go back later and get a copy of it. This way, I can
      go home and work out who's related to who and how, and not spend more
      money than I have to (those .25 cent copies add up).

      I have found working backwards works best for me. Once you find the
      first child, then you can search for marriage information on the couple,
      then their births and siblings, then their parents marriages. It does
      take time however, and you may find that ordering all 3 films at once is
      a lot to search. You can pay to renew the film once, or twice to keep it
      permanently at your FHC.
      If you know your people were there for many years, that might be a good
      solution for you.

      I hope this helps, and maybe others can share how they approach this
      situation.

      Maura Petzolt Mobile Alabama USA
      sabinov@...
      Helpful Hints for Successful Searching