Re: [S-R] LUPCHO

  • Bob Lupcho
    Message 1 of 7 , May 5 11:19 PM
      Betsey Ann:

      Andrew Lupcho did not remarry. The notice in the news paper of 14/Aug/
      1923 showed him to be a "Widower". The daughter Mary Elizabeth Lupcho
      married Athoney Roletto and lived in Kemmerer, WY. I do not know the
      date of the marriage but I will find out.

      The copy of the Census I have for 1900 is hard to read but as best I
      can make out, it shows Barbara's age as 25 and Andrew's age as 31. I
      believe that Barbara was born in 1876 so the numbers look as if they
      make sense. The 1910 Census shows Barbara to be 35 and Andrew to be
      39. This is pretty consistent with Barbara being born in 1876 and
      Andrew being born in 1870. The 1920 Census show Barbara to be 49 and
      Andrew to be 50. There are two problems here: Barbara died in 1915 and
      the jump in age from 35 to 49 is inconsistent with the previous data.

      If you examine the "Year Immigrated" data for the three Census periods
      you will notice they are inconsistent. We have 1887/1892, 1881/1895
      and both in 1894. Looking at the numbers for "years married" and
      working backwards, the only immigration dates which makes sense ( the
      numbers are consistent with the other data) are the ones for 1900. I
      believe they were married in 1893.

      This is just an observation of an item which may be of interest. If
      you examine the Census sheets for 1910 and 1920, notice the family
      after the Lupcho family, Mike Kusnirik. His wife, Elizabeth, is
      Barbara Lupcho's older sister. Mike Kusnirik and one of his sons were
      killed in the mine explosion mentioned in my previous post.

      There was a "Barbara" in the family in 1920 as that was the name of
      the youngest child. Her name was Barbara Dorothy Lupcho, born 2/Feb/
      1911.

      Thanks for the ongoing help.

      Bob

      Bob Lupcho
      boblupcho@...

    • betseyannk
      Message 2 of 7 , May 6 4:32 AM
        Bob,

        Tony and Mary Roletto (Poletti) follow Mike and Lizzie Kusnirik in the
        1920 Census. There appears to be errors in their information as well
        when compared to the 1930 Census. The census taker, Aliene Vance, was a
        19 year old clerk in a dry goods store in Kemmerer. She could have had
        difficulty understanding the accents or just wasn't that conscientious.
        Ex. "Georgia" for George, "Andro" for Andrew. Ages in census records
        are rarely exactly correct, I always consider them approximate.

        The Slovak spelling for Lupcho is "Lupco" with the accent over the "c".
        In Hungarian it's Lupsco or Lupczo. There is also a Slovak surname
        "Lukco". Be careful when looking at LDS microfilm from Slovakia that you
        don't confuse the two names. It also turns up in the Ellis Island
        records.

      • Bob Lupcho
        Message 3 of 7 , May 6 2:23 PM
          Betsey:

          Re: The Roletto's: I received a copy of a Family study of the Martin/
          Roletto Family today from my cousin, Pat Roletto Martin. Tony was her
          GF. The data on the CD indicates Tony was born 11/Nov/1887. He died
          6/Nov/1957. He and Mary Lupcho were married 25/Jan/1914. He was born
          in the Province of Piedmonte, Italy.

          Re: Census taker Aliene Vance. Kemmerer, WY is built around a
          triangle instead of the normal square. There are lots of bars but I
          believe there was only one dry goods store in Kemmerer at that period
          in history. That is the very first J. C. Penney store. His home, now
          a museum, is just across the street. I met Mr. Penney in that store
          in 1950 when I went on and adventure to celebrate graduating from HS
          and to meet some of the relatives I am trying to learn about now. I
          should have started earlier.

          You mentioned things were not always good in Hazelton. Note from the
          Roletto doc reads in part:

          Originally settled in Pennsylvania and worked the the coal mines. The
          Union-Pacific Railroad advertised attractive opportunities and
          provided free one-way transportation to lure miners and their familys
          out West. The mines in Wyoming were in need of developing so the
          railroad would have coal to fuel their trains, thereby opening the
          West for Eastern commerce. The motivation was money. Where the
          Pennsylvania mining towns had a verdant, woodsiness about them, the
          mining town of Kemmerer, WY was the opposite. Desolate, dry, barren,
          sagebruth-covered hills some fifty miles from the Teton range.

          The family stayed, lived, worked, raised their children until the
          mining town dried up in the 1950's when the Union Pacific switched to
          diesel trains. The Luphco's owned their own house however, the
          railroad owned the land.

          Bob

          Bob Lupcho
          boblupcho@...

        • Kid Kotch
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 12, 2011
            I just ran across your information while browsing. If Lupcho was in Onieda so was Mike Kusnirik. Mike and his wife may have migrated to Wyoming at the same time because I have information that is what happened. Mike was from Trebisov, Slovakia as was my grandfather and arrived here in the late 1800's. Trebisov was known as Terketobes (SP? under the Austrian-Hungry Empire and Kusnirik was spelled as Kusniyrik during that time. I am also familiar with Hazleton as I spent many summers there in a small coal mining town named Ebervale just outside of Hazleton. There is a grave in St. John's cemetery for Jan Kusnirik which is right at the entrance to the cemetery. There are many Kusniriks there and there may be Lupchos also. There may be a relationship between the two as the name sounds familiar. I am (not actively) trying to find more about this relationship. There is also a Mike Kusnirik who came to America and returned to Trebisov. I correspond with his great granddaughter. Please feel free to contact me if you want to collaborate.......Bob Kusnirik