Re: [S-R] Re: A new member's introduction....

  • Michael Mojher
    Message 1 of 11 , May 5, 2008
      Dave,
      I searched the FHC records for Starina and Matysova, the two villages closest to Maly Lipnik. Both had only Greek Catholic records for the 1800's. Plavnica records are Roman Catholic from 1683 to 1926. From these findings and the size of the family tree you have I assume that your family was Roman Catholic. The Plavnica records are on four rolls of film, FHL INTL film 1793215 Item2- 1793216 - 1793217 - 1793218 Items 1-2.
      I am looking at roll 1793216. Last night I found a Paulus Knat / Susanna Scerbak entry. Scerbak is my grandmother's maiden name. The entry was from 1878. Susanna would have been of the same generation as Ann Knat-Gladis, born 1850. My grandmother, Helena Scerbak, was born in 1884. It just might be, as they say in Slovakia, knee cousins through your Knat line.
      What you find is that over the years every family in the area over the course of the 250 years that records have been kept have intermarried at sometime. The further back you go in the records for Plavnica the more there are years missing. You should be able to continue the line back for several more generations from Andrew Gladis, born 1841. A rule of thumb is a generation is separated by about 20 years. So there could be two more generations in the 1800's.
      I you can find the source of the information that your family tree came from that would be very useful. The FHC library and the Slovak Archives are the two sources generally used. Each village keeps records, but those cover from the late 1800's to the present. The State Regional Archives in Presov is where the church registers for our area are kept.
      We can continue our communication through our e-mail. That way if I need to send you an attachment it will go through, mgmojher@....
      Michael Mojher