LUPCHO

  • betseyannk
    Message 1 of 7 , May 4, 2008
      Bob,

      Your family's saga has captured my interest. Your resolve to find record
      of your Slovak heritage reminds me of my uncle's when we started looking
      for relatives in the Ellis Island database 7 years ago. Once you
      confirmed that your grandparents were the Andrew and Barbara Lupcho in
      the 1900 Census in Oneida, East Union Township, Schuylkill County,
      Pennsylvania, I couldn't resist trying my hand at some genealogical
      surfing.

      FIRST - Oneida is about 10 miles west of Hazleton, Luzerne County. I
      have family nearby so the area is not unfamilar to me. The Ellis Island
      records list several Lupcho's who immigrated to 3 communities in the
      Hazleton area (Mahanoy City, Drifton and Lansford), but the records do
      not connect any of these Lupcho's to your Andrew and Barbara Lupcho.
      Most of these Lupcho's emigrated from villages in old Zemplin County,
      Slovakia. However,Veronica Lupcso from Golnicbanya (now Gelnica) in
      old Spis County emigrated in 1907 to join her husband Albert in Drifton.
      Obituaries and phone book listings identify Lupcho's in several hamlets
      only 2-4 miles from Oneida (Weston, Fern Glen, Nuremberg, Zion Grove).

      The 1900 Census record for Andrew Lupcso states he immigrated in 1887
      and obtained his citizenship in 1896. I also had no luck finding Andrew
      Lupcho's immigration record. However, there should be marriage and
      naturalization records in either the Schuylkill or Luzerne County
      Courthouse. LDS may have microfilm for the indices of these records.

      The 1930 Census has a Stephen Lupcho family (indexed "Lipcho") in Fern
      Glen village, Black Creek Township, Luzerne County, PA. This Stephen
      was born in 1877-1878 and immigrated in 1896. This Stephen may be your
      great-uncle because from the Philadelphia Passenger Lists on
      Ancestry.com I found:

      Name: Stepan Lupczo Arrival Date: 20 Oct 1896 Ship Name:
      Pennsylvania Age: 18 (Born 1877-1878) Last Residence: Margitfalu
      (now Margecany, Slovakia) Final Destination: Hazleton, PA
      Relative: Andr Lupczo, Hazleton, PA

      SECOND - The Margecany parish records are combined with Jaklovce. A very
      informative Mosconi family website lists surnames in the
      Jaklovce/Margecany parish records including "Lubco". (Probably should be
      Lupco) The address is http://members.aol.com/fmosconi/index.html.

      Margecany is near Gelnica, so it would be prudent to review the LDS
      microfilm for Gelnica as well as Margecany.

      THIRD - Are you sure Barbara died in 1915? The 1920 Census has Andrew
      and Barbara "Lupeda" living in Frontier, Lincoln County, Wyoming with
      nine children that match your family. The Wyoming Department of Health
      website explains how to request copies of death certificates. If you are
      very lucky the death certificates may list Andrew's and/or Barbara's
      place of birth and parent's names.

      FOURTH - The WWI Draft Registrations for your Lupcho uncles, George and
      John, are on Ancestry.com. George listed his date and place of birth as
      August 5, 1895 in Scranton, PA.
      Scranton is about 50 miles north of Oneida in Lackawanna County, this
      doesn't seem correct. Do you have any information on George's
      birthplace?

      FIFTH - If your mother's name is Sarah, the 1930 Census has your parents
      and brother, James, living in Long Beach, California. (Indexed under
      "Lycho")

      FINALLY - All the best of luck. Keep us informed.

      Betsey Ann

    • Bob Lupcho
      Message 2 of 7 , May 4, 2008
        Betsey Ann:

        I appriciate your comments and sugestions.

        You asked some questions which I will provide answers for:

        Point three re: Barbara Lupcho's date of death. The Kemmerer Gazette
        reported the week of June 7, 1915 in part ( I have this document):
        "Death of Mrs. Lupcho. Mother of ten children taken away in her 39th
        year. In the death of Mrs. Andrew Lupcho of Frontier last Friday (4/
        Jun/1915) morning, a mother of ten children was taken away. Death
        came suddenly and while she was standing over the stove preparing the
        morning meal". The Census for 1920, showing the Family name as
        Lupeda, is the correct family in all respects except for the fact that
        Barbara died five years before the Census was taken. If it shows the
        family with 9 children, it is incorrect. There were ten children in
        1920.

        Re: Death Certificates: I have talked to the Wyoming State Archivist
        in Cheyenne, WY. There is no death certificate for Barbara. There
        was no Corners Inquest either. The only document that exists is the
        Undertakers Log and Burial sheet showing Barbara was buried in the
        Catholic Cemetery on June 6,1915. I have a copy of those documents.
        The cause of death was listed as Epilepsy.

        Re: Andrew Lupcho's death. On August 14, 1923, there was an
        explosion in the Kemmerer Coal Company Number 1 Mine killing 99 people
        including Andrew Lupcho and two of his sons (Joe age 17 (in the Army
        at time) and George age 37). I have the death certificate for Andrew.
        It shows his age as 53. In addition it shows:

        He was married
        Birthplace: Austria
        Occupation: Coal Miner
        Name of father: Unknown
        Name of Mother:Unknown
        Birthplace of Father: Austria
        Birthplace of Mother: Austria

        Re: Draft Registration: I believe that George was born in 1896. I
        will try to confirm that and see if I can determine where George was
        born (see next paragraph). The Census of 1900 shows George was born in
        1896. My father, Andrew Charles Lupcho, was in the Army during WW I
        and served in France. I will look at the Draft Registration data on
        the Ancestry.com site when the FHC is open on Tuesday.

        The last small paragraph of your First point Re: Stepan Lupczo. If
        the contact Relative indicated as Andr Lupczo is the Andrew Lupcho (my
        GF) I am searching for, then the arrival date of the ship Pennsylvania
        (20/Oct/1896) would indicate the family was living in Hazelton, PA in
        1896 and would mean that George was born in Hazelton, PA in 1896
        (Nov. est). My father, Andrew Charles Lupcho, always told the family
        that he was born in Hazelton PA, 21/Feb/1898.

        Re: My mothers name was Sarah Hazel Lupcho. We lived in Long Beach,
        CA at that time. My bothers name was James Andrew Lupcho. He was
        killed in an auto accident in the Kemmerer area of Wyoming, 30/Jul/
        1933. He was 4 years old. I have the death certificate for him.

        Thanks for the help,

        Bob

        Bob Lupcho
        boblupcho@...

      • betseyannk
        Message 3 of 7 , May 5, 2008
          Bob,

          The 1920 Census definitely has Barbara as Andrew's wife. The eldest
          daughter, Mary, is not listed, so she would be the 10th child. I presume
          she was married before 1920 and no longer in that household. There
          appears to some other discrepancies in this record, but this has to be
          your family. Quite a mystery about this "Barbara", I've never seen this
          kind of error in a census record. Did your grandfather remarry perhaps?

          St. Joseph's Slovak Catholic Church has been in Hazleton since the
          1880's. That's probably the church your family attended, so if there
          ever was a Baptismal Certificate for your father it would probably have
          only said "Hazleton". Your family could have lived in several different
          places in and around Hazleton, all we know for sure is that they were in
          Oneida in 1900.

          Your family was in Hazleton during a very difficult time. The
          Lattimer Massacre and trial was in 1897-1998. In 1900 a riot occurred in
          Oneida during a miner's strike. The 6 month long coal miner's strike in
          1902 may have been the final incentive for your family to move West.

          Good luck at FHL.

          Betsey Ann

          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Bob Lupcho <boblupcho@...> wrote:

> [...]
          > > are
          > > very lucky the death certificates may list Andrew's and/or Barbara's
          > > place of birth and parent's names.
          > >
          > > FOURTH - The WWI Draft Registrations for your Lupcho uncles, George
          > > and
          > > John, are on Ancestry.com. George listed his date and place of birth
          > > as
          > > August 5, 1895 in Scranton, PA.
          > > Scranton is about 50 miles north of Oneida in Lackawanna County,
          this
          > > doesn't seem correct. Do you have any information on George's
          > > birthplace?
          > >
          > > FIFTH - If your mother's name is Sarah, the 1930 Census has your
          > > parents
          > > and brother, James, living in Long Beach, California. (Indexed under
          > > "Lycho")
          > >
          > > FINALLY - All the best of luck. Keep us informed.

        • Bob Lupcho
          Message 4 of 7 , May 5, 2008
            Betsey Ann:

            Andrew Lupcho did not remarry. The notice in the news paper of 14/Aug/
            1923 showed him to be a "Widower". The daughter Mary Elizabeth Lupcho
            married Athoney Roletto and lived in Kemmerer, WY. I do not know the
            date of the marriage but I will find out.

            The copy of the Census I have for 1900 is hard to read but as best I
            can make out, it shows Barbara's age as 25 and Andrew's age as 31. I
            believe that Barbara was born in 1876 so the numbers look as if they
            make sense. The 1910 Census shows Barbara to be 35 and Andrew to be
            39. This is pretty consistent with Barbara being born in 1876 and
            Andrew being born in 1870. The 1920 Census show Barbara to be 49 and
            Andrew to be 50. There are two problems here: Barbara died in 1915 and
            the jump in age from 35 to 49 is inconsistent with the previous data.

            If you examine the "Year Immigrated" data for the three Census periods
            you will notice they are inconsistent. We have 1887/1892, 1881/1895
            and both in 1894. Looking at the numbers for "years married" and
            working backwards, the only immigration dates which makes sense ( the
            numbers are consistent with the other data) are the ones for 1900. I
            believe they were married in 1893.

            This is just an observation of an item which may be of interest. If
            you examine the Census sheets for 1910 and 1920, notice the family
            after the Lupcho family, Mike Kusnirik. His wife, Elizabeth, is
            Barbara Lupcho's older sister. Mike Kusnirik and one of his sons were
            killed in the mine explosion mentioned in my previous post.

            There was a "Barbara" in the family in 1920 as that was the name of
            the youngest child. Her name was Barbara Dorothy Lupcho, born 2/Feb/
            1911.

            Thanks for the ongoing help.

            Bob

            Bob Lupcho
            boblupcho@...

          • betseyannk
            Message 5 of 7 , May 6, 2008
              Bob,

              Tony and Mary Roletto (Poletti) follow Mike and Lizzie Kusnirik in the
              1920 Census. There appears to be errors in their information as well
              when compared to the 1930 Census. The census taker, Aliene Vance, was a
              19 year old clerk in a dry goods store in Kemmerer. She could have had
              difficulty understanding the accents or just wasn't that conscientious.
              Ex. "Georgia" for George, "Andro" for Andrew. Ages in census records
              are rarely exactly correct, I always consider them approximate.

              The Slovak spelling for Lupcho is "Lupco" with the accent over the "c".
              In Hungarian it's Lupsco or Lupczo. There is also a Slovak surname
              "Lukco". Be careful when looking at LDS microfilm from Slovakia that you
              don't confuse the two names. It also turns up in the Ellis Island
              records.

            • Bob Lupcho
              Message 6 of 7 , May 6, 2008
                Betsey:

                Re: The Roletto's: I received a copy of a Family study of the Martin/
                Roletto Family today from my cousin, Pat Roletto Martin. Tony was her
                GF. The data on the CD indicates Tony was born 11/Nov/1887. He died
                6/Nov/1957. He and Mary Lupcho were married 25/Jan/1914. He was born
                in the Province of Piedmonte, Italy.

                Re: Census taker Aliene Vance. Kemmerer, WY is built around a
                triangle instead of the normal square. There are lots of bars but I
                believe there was only one dry goods store in Kemmerer at that period
                in history. That is the very first J. C. Penney store. His home, now
                a museum, is just across the street. I met Mr. Penney in that store
                in 1950 when I went on and adventure to celebrate graduating from HS
                and to meet some of the relatives I am trying to learn about now. I
                should have started earlier.

                You mentioned things were not always good in Hazelton. Note from the
                Roletto doc reads in part:

                Originally settled in Pennsylvania and worked the the coal mines. The
                Union-Pacific Railroad advertised attractive opportunities and
                provided free one-way transportation to lure miners and their familys
                out West. The mines in Wyoming were in need of developing so the
                railroad would have coal to fuel their trains, thereby opening the
                West for Eastern commerce. The motivation was money. Where the
                Pennsylvania mining towns had a verdant, woodsiness about them, the
                mining town of Kemmerer, WY was the opposite. Desolate, dry, barren,
                sagebruth-covered hills some fifty miles from the Teton range.

                The family stayed, lived, worked, raised their children until the
                mining town dried up in the 1950's when the Union Pacific switched to
                diesel trains. The Luphco's owned their own house however, the
                railroad owned the land.

                Bob

                Bob Lupcho
                boblupcho@...

              • Kid Kotch
                Message 7 of 7 , Apr 12 5:13 PM
                  I just ran across your information while browsing. If Lupcho was in Onieda so was Mike Kusnirik. Mike and his wife may have migrated to Wyoming at the same time because I have information that is what happened. Mike was from Trebisov, Slovakia as was my grandfather and arrived here in the late 1800's. Trebisov was known as Terketobes (SP? under the Austrian-Hungry Empire and Kusnirik was spelled as Kusniyrik during that time. I am also familiar with Hazleton as I spent many summers there in a small coal mining town named Ebervale just outside of Hazleton. There is a grave in St. John's cemetery for Jan Kusnirik which is right at the entrance to the cemetery. There are many Kusniriks there and there may be Lupchos also. There may be a relationship between the two as the name sounds familiar. I am (not actively) trying to find more about this relationship. There is also a Mike Kusnirik who came to America and returned to Trebisov. I correspond with his great granddaughter. Please feel free to contact me if you want to collaborate.......Bob Kusnirik