Re: [S-R] A new member's introduction....

  • Michael Mojher
    Message 1 of 11 , May 4, 2008
      Chris,
      I did not find Andrew Gladis or Anna Hnat's births in the Plavnica roll.
      I did look to see which towns in the area had the surnames:
      Maly Lipnik has 5 Gladis and 2 Hnat
      Udol has 2 Gladis and 3 Hnat
      Orlov has 7 Hnat
      Stara Lubovna has 4 Gladis
      A telephone directory search for all of Slovakia listed 76 Gladis and 196 Hnat. Many of each are in the Maly Lipnik area.
      From the above findings I would say you have a very good chance of finding relatives in or around Maly Lipnik.
      Michael Mojher

      Message 2 of 11 , May 4, 2008
        Hi Chris - welcome to the group - you will find a lot
        of knowledgeable people very willing to help.

        i maintain a Slovak Pride database of some 27,000
        Slovak surnames and villages listed by Americans and
        Canadians - we have 4 listings for Gladis and 1 for
        Hnat from Maly Lipnik.

        if you want to know more e mail me directly.

        helene
        helenezx@...

        --- mshadesflickr <mshades@...> wrote:

        > Greetings - my name is Chris Gladis, and I'm here
        > looking for
        > information that can help me better understand where
        > my family came
        > from. I'm not an expert at this - that goes to my
        > first cousin, twice
        > removed (I think), Michael Gladis (1901-1999, son of
        > Michael Gladis
        > and Mary Blasko). He passed away in 1999, leaving a
        > very detailed
        > family tree that went back to my great-great
        > grandfather, Andrew
        > Gladis (1841-1920) and great-great grandmother, Anna
        > (Knat/Hnat)
        > Gladis (1850-1911), both of Maly Lipnik in
        > present-day Slovakia. They
        > moved with their children to the United States in
        > the 1890s.
        >
        > I have very little information about Andrew's
        > generation - he may have
        > had a brother, Michael Gladis, who married Mary
        > Arandasky and they had
        > eight children. Andrew's father may have been named
        > John, and I know
        > nothing of Andrew's mother or possible other
        > siblings.
        >
        > Any help or guidance I can get in finding more about
        > my family's
        > history would be greatly appreciated.
        >
        > Many thanks,
        > Chris

        Be a better friend, newshound, and
      • mshadesflickr
        Message 3 of 11 , May 4, 2008
          Janet -

          Thank you very much for the pointers. The family tree that I got from
          my cousin appears to have been very well researched (and done in the
          pre-internet Dark Ages, too!), though I know that "appears to be" is
          not necessarily the same as "is." It is a very impressive document
          nonetheless, coming out to 82 longhand pages. I don't have access to
          his research materials, unfortunately - that's the property of his
          descendants, if they are still in the family's possession. Perhaps I
          can impose on them to do some photocopying.

          The existence of the LDS library and the Ellis Island records makes me
          think I really ought to get a credit card one of these days. *smile*

          Chris
        • mshadesflickr
          Message 4 of 11 , May 4, 2008
            Michael -

            Many thanks for looking! I suppose it's time to do some
            letter-writing, though I suspect that receiving letters in English,
            from Japan asking about an American's ancestry will be an interesting
            surprise. *smile* I do have a possible cousin in Slovakia, however,
            who might be in a better position to solicit information. He wants to
            know how our families fit together, so he'll probably be willing to help.

            Chris
          • mshadesflickr
            Message 5 of 11 , May 4, 2008
              --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, helene cincebeaux <helenezx@...>
              wrote:

              > Hi Chris - welcome to the group - you will find a lot
              > of knowledgeable people very willing to help.
              >
              > i maintain a Slovak Pride database of some 27,000
              > Slovak surnames and villages listed by Americans and
              > Canadians - we have 4 listings for Gladis and 1 for
              > Hnat from Maly Lipnik.
              >
              > if you want to know more e mail me directly.
              >
              > helene
              > helenezx@...

              Many thanks! I will do so presently.

              Chris
            • Michael Mojher
              Message 6 of 11 , May 4, 2008
                Chris,
                With so many of the younger generation taking English as a second language it is very easy to find someone who can translate your letter.
                I will be in Plavnica for at least a week in early July. If there is anything I can do for you while I'm there let me know.
                With 82 pages of genealogy it would appear that you should have a substantial family tree developed. Is there anything in particular that you are interested in finding?
                Michael Mojher

                Message 7 of 11 , May 5, 2008
                  --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Michael Mojher" <mgmojher@...>
                  wrote:

                  > Chris,
                  > With so many of the younger generation taking English as a
                  >second language it is very easy to find someone who can translate
                  >your letter.
                  > I will be in Plavnica for at least a week in early July. If
                  >there is anything I can do for you while I'm there let me know.
                  > With 82 pages of genealogy it would appear that you should have
                  >a substantial family tree developed. Is there anything in particular
                  >that you are interested in finding?

                  The genealogy that my cousin did is extremely detailed, as far as the
                  descendants of my g-g-grandfather are concerned. What I'm interested
                  in is mainly information on his generation and those before. The
                  information my cousin had was scant at best - I know his and his
                  wife's names, her maiden name and where they were born. Of their
                  parents, brothers and sisters, all there are are a few names and
                  speculation. He also found a reference to the Gladis name going back
                  to 1348 (in a German coat-of-arms book published in 1878). I'm not
                  quite up to going that far back in time, but it at least gives me a
                  distant target.

                  There are also some gaps in the tree that need filling - I've been
                  contacted by a Gladis living in Kosice who is very interested in
                  knowing where he fits into the larger tree. Once I know what I'm
                  looking for, I can probably ask him to do some legwork as well. I've
                  sent email to the Maly Lipnik editor of tccweb.com in the hopes that
                  he might have information as well.

                  Chris
                • Michael Mojher
                  Message 8 of 11 , May 5, 2008
                    Dave,
                    I searched the FHC records for Starina and Matysova, the two villages closest to Maly Lipnik. Both had only Greek Catholic records for the 1800's. Plavnica records are Roman Catholic from 1683 to 1926. From these findings and the size of the family tree you have I assume that your family was Roman Catholic. The Plavnica records are on four rolls of film, FHL INTL film 1793215 Item2- 1793216 - 1793217 - 1793218 Items 1-2.
                    I am looking at roll 1793216. Last night I found a Paulus Knat / Susanna Scerbak entry. Scerbak is my grandmother's maiden name. The entry was from 1878. Susanna would have been of the same generation as Ann Knat-Gladis, born 1850. My grandmother, Helena Scerbak, was born in 1884. It just might be, as they say in Slovakia, knee cousins through your Knat line.
                    What you find is that over the years every family in the area over the course of the 250 years that records have been kept have intermarried at sometime. The further back you go in the records for Plavnica the more there are years missing. You should be able to continue the line back for several more generations from Andrew Gladis, born 1841. A rule of thumb is a generation is separated by about 20 years. So there could be two more generations in the 1800's.
                    I you can find the source of the information that your family tree came from that would be very useful. The FHC library and the Slovak Archives are the two sources generally used. Each village keeps records, but those cover from the late 1800's to the present. The State Regional Archives in Presov is where the church registers for our area are kept.
                    We can continue our communication through our e-mail. That way if I need to send you an attachment it will go through, mgmojher@....
                    Michael Mojher