RE: [S-R] Feja of Lokca

  • jim m.
    Message 1 of 15 , May 1, 2008
      Here is a little more info.

      My father ANDREW born in Colorado, 1904

      (MUDRONE) brother, Louis born in
      Budapest, Hungary (deceased)

      sister, Pauline,
      also born in Budapest (deceased)

      sister, Mary,
      late of Redding, CA (deceased)

      sister, Jennie,
      late of Glendale, CA (deceased)

      sister,
      Margaret, ?? CA, deceased

      married Mary Ann
      Butkovich (born in Krivany)

      children
      Richard, Robert (deceased), and me, James

      Grandfather JOHN emigrated from Slovakia 1898 -
      probably born in Lokca

      (MUDRON) had two sons by previous
      marriage (Joseph & John)

      Joseph came to
      America 1903, settled in Joliet, IL

      John stayed on
      in Slovakia and was drowned in the Danube

      first wife died
      - maiden name thought to Anna Lucas

      second wife
      (Anna Valek born in Erdudka or Erdoake)

      believed to have
      had five brothers (Ignatius, Martin, Andrew,

      Joseph, and ?)

      My mother had a cousin (name of STARUH or STARUCH). I thought maybe this
      would help me trace my mother.

      Message 2 of 15 , May 1, 2008
        Hi Jim,

        The spelling change was NOT done by an "immigration guy in NY." There was no
        part of the immigration process where this could have happened, despite many
        anecdotal stories to the contrary and your father's report. He would not
        even have been asked what his name was. It was written on the ship manifest,
        prepared at the port of embarkation in Europe, and U.S. officials were not
        permitted to change any spellings.

        Lokca is not under water. Check it out at MapQuest.

        I presume that your grandfather was Andreas Mudron Feja who immigrated in
        1910 from Hrustin, Arva megye. Note on the map how close Hrustin is to
        Lokca.

        Janet

      • helene cincebeaux
        Message 3 of 15 , May 1, 2008
          Lokca is 6 kilometers south of Namestovo in northern
          Slovakia, up near the Polish border in old Orava
          county; they created a lake when a dam was built and
          it submerged some 16 villages

          Many of the precious treasures from the churches that
          were flooded are preserved in a church on Slanica
          Island - it's a fascinating trip by boat from a spot
          near Namestovo at the Goral Hotel.

          Have you been in touch with Paul Bingham - he is an
          expert in this area and might be able to help you
          try tatraarearesearchgroup@...

          helene

          --- "jim m." <bdgranpa3@...> wrote:

          > Now I understand why my Dad spelled it Feja.
          >

          > Is Lokca on the western end of the country? Near a
          > place that is now under
          > water?

          Be a better friend, newshound, and
        • jim m.
          Message 4 of 15 , May 1, 2008
            Will check it out on Mapquest. Thanks for clearing up the "e" addition.

            No, my grandfather was John Mudron who immigrated in 1900. Landed at Ellis.

            The spelling change was NOT done by an "immigration guy in NY." There was no
            part of the immigration process where this could have happened, despite many
            anecdotal stories to the contrary and your father's report. He would not
            even have been asked what his name was. It was written on the ship manifest,
            prepared at the port of embarkation in Europe, and U.S. officials were not
            permitted to change any spellings.

            Lokca is not under water. Check it out at MapQuest.

            I presume that your grandfather was Andreas Mudron Feja who immigrated in
            1910 from Hrustin, Arva megye. Note on the map how close Hrustin is to
            Lokca.

            Janet

            http://www.eset.com

          • jim m.
            Message 5 of 15 , May 1, 2008
              Thanks Helene. You do get around. I always look for your posts in both
              Slovak-world and now roots.

              Orava and the lake sound just like my Dad said.

              Lokca is 6 kilometers south of Namestovo in northern
              Slovakia, up near the Polish border in old Orava
              county; they created a lake when a dam was built and
              it submerged some 16 villages

              Many of the precious treasures from the churches that
              were flooded are preserved in a church on Slanica
              Island - it's a fascinating trip by boat from a spot
              near Namestovo at the Goral Hotel.

              Have you been in touch with Paul Bingham - he is an
              expert in this area and might be able to help you
              try tatraarearesearchgroup@...
              <mailto:tatraarearesearchgroup%40gmail.com>

              helene

              --- "jim m." <bdgranpa3@... <mailto:bdgranpa3%40verizon.net> >
              wrote:

              > Now I understand why my Dad spelled it Feja.
              >

              > Is Lokca on the western end of the country? Near a
              > place that is now under
              > water?
              >

              > From: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com>

              <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS-unsubscribe%40yahoogroups.comYahoo> !
              > Groups Links

              Be a better friend, newshound, and

              http://www.eset.com

            • johnqadam
              Message 6 of 15 , May 1, 2008
                >>> second wife (Anna Valek born in Erdudka or Erdoake)<<<

                Oravská Lesná, Slovakia, formerly Erdõdka (or Erdõdke), Árva, Hungary.
                It is located 15 km due west of Lokca.

                Possible cousins from phone listings:

                Valek Lukáš, Krušetnica 219, Krušetnica
                Válek Stanislav, Krušetnica 219, Krušetnica
              • johnqadam
                Message 7 of 15 , May 1, 2008
                  >>> No, my grandfather was John Mudron who immigrated in 1900. Landed
                  at Ellis. <<<

                  I believe it is 05 Sep 1899. See Mudrony Janos.