RE: [S-R] Faye = Feja from Lokca

  • jim m.
    Message 1 of 15 , May 1, 2008
      Now I understand why my Dad spelled it Feja.

      Is Lokca on the western end of the country? Near a place that is now under
      water?

      Message 2 of 15 , May 1, 2008
        Thanks for good info. Will get back to you on the arrival date and port,
        etc

        Message 3 of 15 , May 1, 2008
          Here is a little more info.

          My father ANDREW born in Colorado, 1904

          (MUDRONE) brother, Louis born in
          Budapest, Hungary (deceased)

          sister, Pauline,
          also born in Budapest (deceased)

          sister, Mary,
          late of Redding, CA (deceased)

          sister, Jennie,
          late of Glendale, CA (deceased)

          sister,
          Margaret, ?? CA, deceased

          married Mary Ann
          Butkovich (born in Krivany)

          children
          Richard, Robert (deceased), and me, James

          Grandfather JOHN emigrated from Slovakia 1898 -
          probably born in Lokca

          (MUDRON) had two sons by previous
          marriage (Joseph & John)

          Joseph came to
          America 1903, settled in Joliet, IL

          John stayed on
          in Slovakia and was drowned in the Danube

          first wife died
          - maiden name thought to Anna Lucas

          second wife
          (Anna Valek born in Erdudka or Erdoake)

          believed to have
          had five brothers (Ignatius, Martin, Andrew,

          Joseph, and ?)

          My mother had a cousin (name of STARUH or STARUCH). I thought maybe this
          would help me trace my mother.

          >>> Apparently the original name was FAYE but since there were so many
          of them in the area they adopted the grandmother's name of MUDRONE.
          <<<

          FAYE [sic] = FEJA

          Phone listings suggest Mudron(ova). Look in area code 043 for Feja,
          Fejova, Mudron, Mudronova.

          Village is Lokca, near Namestova.

          SLOVAK TELEPHONE WHITE PAGES
          You might find relatives in Slovakia who have a telephone listing by
          looking them up in the phone book white pages at
          http://telefonny.zoznam.sk/

          To use the search engine, you need to complete all the letters of
          last name e.g.: Adam or Adamova. There is no English version of the
          web page.

          Peter Nagy offers English-language instructions
          http://www.centroconsult.sk/facilities/phonewp.html

          CURRENT MAP

          http://www.eset.com

        • Janet Kozlay
          Message 4 of 15 , May 1, 2008
            Hi Jim,

            The spelling change was NOT done by an "immigration guy in NY." There was no
            part of the immigration process where this could have happened, despite many
            anecdotal stories to the contrary and your father's report. He would not
            even have been asked what his name was. It was written on the ship manifest,
            prepared at the port of embarkation in Europe, and U.S. officials were not
            permitted to change any spellings.

            Lokca is not under water. Check it out at MapQuest.

            I presume that your grandfather was Andreas Mudron Feja who immigrated in
            1910 from Hrustin, Arva megye. Note on the map how close Hrustin is to
            Lokca.

            Janet

          • helene cincebeaux
            Message 5 of 15 , May 1, 2008
              Lokca is 6 kilometers south of Namestovo in northern
              Slovakia, up near the Polish border in old Orava
              county; they created a lake when a dam was built and
              it submerged some 16 villages

              Many of the precious treasures from the churches that
              were flooded are preserved in a church on Slanica
              Island - it's a fascinating trip by boat from a spot
              near Namestovo at the Goral Hotel.

              Have you been in touch with Paul Bingham - he is an
              expert in this area and might be able to help you
              try tatraarearesearchgroup@...

              helene

              --- "jim m." <bdgranpa3@...> wrote:

              > Now I understand why my Dad spelled it Feja.
              >

              > Is Lokca on the western end of the country? Near a
              > place that is now under
              > water?

              Be a better friend, newshound, and
            • jim m.
              Message 6 of 15 , May 1, 2008
                Will check it out on Mapquest. Thanks for clearing up the "e" addition.

                No, my grandfather was John Mudron who immigrated in 1900. Landed at Ellis.

                Message 7 of 15 , May 1, 2008
                  Thanks Helene. You do get around. I always look for your posts in both
                  Slovak-world and now roots.

                  Orava and the lake sound just like my Dad said.

                  Lokca is 6 kilometers south of Namestovo in northern
                  Slovakia, up near the Polish border in old Orava
                  county; they created a lake when a dam was built and
                  it submerged some 16 villages

                  Many of the precious treasures from the churches that
                  were flooded are preserved in a church on Slanica
                  Island - it's a fascinating trip by boat from a spot
                  near Namestovo at the Goral Hotel.

                  Have you been in touch with Paul Bingham - he is an
                  expert in this area and might be able to help you
                  try tatraarearesearchgroup@...
                  <mailto:tatraarearesearchgroup%40gmail.com>

                  helene

                  --- "jim m." <bdgranpa3@... <mailto:bdgranpa3%40verizon.net> >
                  wrote:

                  > Now I understand why my Dad spelled it Feja.
                  >

                  > Is Lokca on the western end of the country? Near a
                  > place that is now under
                  > water?
                  >

                  > From: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com>

                  <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS-unsubscribe%40yahoogroups.comYahoo> !
                  > Groups Links

                  Be a better friend, newshound, and

                  http://www.eset.com

                • johnqadam
                  Message 8 of 15 , May 1, 2008
                    >>> second wife (Anna Valek born in Erdudka or Erdoake)<<<

                    Oravská Lesná, Slovakia, formerly Erdõdka (or Erdõdke), Árva, Hungary.
                    It is located 15 km due west of Lokca.

                    Possible cousins from phone listings:

                    Valek Lukáš, Krušetnica 219, Krušetnica
                    Válek Stanislav, Krušetnica 219, Krušetnica
                  • johnqadam
                    Message 9 of 15 , May 1, 2008
                      >>> No, my grandfather was John Mudron who immigrated in 1900. Landed
                      at Ellis. <<<

                      I believe it is 05 Sep 1899. See Mudrony Janos.