EI Details, please

  • johnqadam
    Message 1 of 15 , May 1, 2008
      >>> I have located my grandfather's arrival in New York. He came over
      first. <<<

      Details, please.

      >>> I also located his wife (his second wife named ANNA VALEK) and the
      kids who came with her. <<<

      Details, please.
    • johnqadam
      Message 2 of 15 , May 1, 2008
        >>> The names I am primarily interested in are . . . Faye

        In Slovak, spelled Feja.

        Village of origin is Lokca, near Namestovo, phone area code 043.

        LDS has Roman Catholic parish registers of baptisms, marriages and
        deaths for Lokca, Slovakia, formerly Lokcza, Árva, Hungary.

        Krsteni 1741-1746 - FHL INTL Film [ 2002461 Item 6 ]
        Krsty 1746-1874 Uzavreté manželstvá 1744-1823 Úmrtia 1747-1774 - FHL
        INTL Film [ 2002462 ]

        Úmrtia 1774-1824 Uzavreté manželstvá 1824-1843 Úmrtia 1825-1843
        Uzavreté manželstvá 1844-1895 Úmrtia 1844-1898 - FHL INTL Film [
        2002463 Items 1-5 ]
      • johnqadam
        Message 3 of 15 , May 1, 2008
          >>> Apparently the original name was FAYE but since there were so many
          of them in the area they adopted the grandmother's name of MUDRONE.
          <<<

          FAYE [sic] = FEJA

          Phone listings suggest Mudron(ova). Look in area code 043 for Feja,
          Fejova, Mudron, Mudronova.

          Village is Lokca, near Namestova.

          SLOVAK TELEPHONE WHITE PAGES
          You might find relatives in Slovakia who have a telephone listing by
          looking them up in the phone book white pages at
          http://telefonny.zoznam.sk/

          To use the search engine, you need to complete all the letters of
          last name e.g.: Adam or Adamova. There is no English version of the
          web page.

          Peter Nagy offers English-language instructions
          http://www.centroconsult.sk/facilities/phonewp.html

          CURRENT MAP

        • jim m.
          Message 4 of 15 , May 1, 2008
            I remember my Dad saying that the immigration guy in NY apparently put the
            "e" on the end since it sounded like that.

            >>> Apparently the original name was FAYE but since there were so many
            of them in the area they adopted the grandmother's name of MUDRONE. <<<

            Phone listings suggest Mudron(ova).

            http://www.eset.com

          • jim m.
            Message 5 of 15 , May 1, 2008
              Now I understand why my Dad spelled it Feja.

              Is Lokca on the western end of the country? Near a place that is now under
              water?

              >>> The names I am primarily interested in are . . . Faye

              In Slovak, spelled Feja.

              Village of origin is Lokca, near Namestovo, phone area code 043.

              LDS has Roman Catholic parish registers of baptisms, marriages and
              deaths for Lokca, Slovakia, formerly Lokcza, �rva, Hungary.

              Krsteni 1741-1746 - FHL INTL Film [ 2002461 Item 6 ]
              Krsty 1746-1874 Uzavret� man�elstv� 1744-1823 �mrtia 1747-1774 - FHL
              INTL Film [ 2002462 ]

              �mrtia 1774-1824 Uzavret� man�elstv� 1824-1843 �mrtia 1825-1843
              Uzavret� man�elstv� 1844-1895 �mrtia 1844-1898 - FHL INTL Film [
              2002463 Items 1-5 ]

              http://www.eset.com

            • jim m.
              Message 6 of 15 , May 1, 2008
                Thanks for good info. Will get back to you on the arrival date and port,
                etc

                Message 7 of 15 , May 1, 2008
                  Here is a little more info.

                  My father ANDREW born in Colorado, 1904

                  (MUDRONE) brother, Louis born in
                  Budapest, Hungary (deceased)

                  sister, Pauline,
                  also born in Budapest (deceased)

                  sister, Mary,
                  late of Redding, CA (deceased)

                  sister, Jennie,
                  late of Glendale, CA (deceased)

                  sister,
                  Margaret, ?? CA, deceased

                  married Mary Ann
                  Butkovich (born in Krivany)

                  children
                  Richard, Robert (deceased), and me, James

                  Grandfather JOHN emigrated from Slovakia 1898 -
                  probably born in Lokca

                  (MUDRON) had two sons by previous
                  marriage (Joseph & John)

                  Joseph came to
                  America 1903, settled in Joliet, IL

                  John stayed on
                  in Slovakia and was drowned in the Danube

                  first wife died
                  - maiden name thought to Anna Lucas

                  second wife
                  (Anna Valek born in Erdudka or Erdoake)

                  believed to have
                  had five brothers (Ignatius, Martin, Andrew,

                  Joseph, and ?)

                  My mother had a cousin (name of STARUH or STARUCH). I thought maybe this
                  would help me trace my mother.

                  >>> Apparently the original name was FAYE but since there were so many
                  of them in the area they adopted the grandmother's name of MUDRONE.
                  <<<

                  FAYE [sic] = FEJA

                  Phone listings suggest Mudron(ova). Look in area code 043 for Feja,
                  Fejova, Mudron, Mudronova.

                  Village is Lokca, near Namestova.

                  SLOVAK TELEPHONE WHITE PAGES
                  You might find relatives in Slovakia who have a telephone listing by
                  looking them up in the phone book white pages at
                  http://telefonny.zoznam.sk/

                  To use the search engine, you need to complete all the letters of
                  last name e.g.: Adam or Adamova. There is no English version of the
                  web page.

                  Peter Nagy offers English-language instructions
                  http://www.centroconsult.sk/facilities/phonewp.html

                  CURRENT MAP

                  http://www.eset.com

                • Janet Kozlay
                  Message 8 of 15 , May 1, 2008
                    Hi Jim,

                    The spelling change was NOT done by an "immigration guy in NY." There was no
                    part of the immigration process where this could have happened, despite many
                    anecdotal stories to the contrary and your father's report. He would not
                    even have been asked what his name was. It was written on the ship manifest,
                    prepared at the port of embarkation in Europe, and U.S. officials were not
                    permitted to change any spellings.

                    Lokca is not under water. Check it out at MapQuest.

                    I presume that your grandfather was Andreas Mudron Feja who immigrated in
                    1910 from Hrustin, Arva megye. Note on the map how close Hrustin is to
                    Lokca.

                    Janet

                  • helene cincebeaux
                    Message 9 of 15 , May 1, 2008
                      Lokca is 6 kilometers south of Namestovo in northern
                      Slovakia, up near the Polish border in old Orava
                      county; they created a lake when a dam was built and
                      it submerged some 16 villages

                      Many of the precious treasures from the churches that
                      were flooded are preserved in a church on Slanica
                      Island - it's a fascinating trip by boat from a spot
                      near Namestovo at the Goral Hotel.

                      Have you been in touch with Paul Bingham - he is an
                      expert in this area and might be able to help you
                      try tatraarearesearchgroup@...

                      helene

                      --- "jim m." <bdgranpa3@...> wrote:

                      > Now I understand why my Dad spelled it Feja.
                      >

                      > Is Lokca on the western end of the country? Near a
                      > place that is now under
                      > water?

                      Be a better friend, newshound, and
                    • jim m.
                      Message 10 of 15 , May 1, 2008
                        Will check it out on Mapquest. Thanks for clearing up the "e" addition.

                        No, my grandfather was John Mudron who immigrated in 1900. Landed at Ellis.

                        Message 11 of 15 , May 1, 2008
                          Thanks Helene. You do get around. I always look for your posts in both
                          Slovak-world and now roots.

                          Orava and the lake sound just like my Dad said.

                          Lokca is 6 kilometers south of Namestovo in northern
                          Slovakia, up near the Polish border in old Orava
                          county; they created a lake when a dam was built and
                          it submerged some 16 villages

                          Many of the precious treasures from the churches that
                          were flooded are preserved in a church on Slanica
                          Island - it's a fascinating trip by boat from a spot
                          near Namestovo at the Goral Hotel.

                          Have you been in touch with Paul Bingham - he is an
                          expert in this area and might be able to help you
                          try tatraarearesearchgroup@...
                          <mailto:tatraarearesearchgroup%40gmail.com>

                          helene

                          --- "jim m." <bdgranpa3@... <mailto:bdgranpa3%40verizon.net> >
                          wrote:

                          > Now I understand why my Dad spelled it Feja.
                          >

                          > Is Lokca on the western end of the country? Near a
                          > place that is now under
                          > water?
                          >

                          > From: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com>

                          <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS-unsubscribe%40yahoogroups.comYahoo> !

                          Message 12 of 15 , May 1, 2008
                            >>> second wife (Anna Valek born in Erdudka or Erdoake)<<<

                            Oravská Lesná, Slovakia, formerly Erdõdka (or Erdõdke), Árva, Hungary.
                            It is located 15 km due west of Lokca.

                            Possible cousins from phone listings:

                            Valek Lukáš, Krušetnica 219, Krušetnica
                            Válek Stanislav, Krušetnica 219, Krušetnica
                          • johnqadam
                            Message 13 of 15 , May 1, 2008
                              >>> No, my grandfather was John Mudron who immigrated in 1900. Landed
                              at Ellis. <<<

                              I believe it is 05 Sep 1899. See Mudrony Janos.