LDS Research

  • johnqadam
    Message 1 of 15 , May 1, 2008
      >>> Place of origin was supposedly KRIVANY. <<<
      >>> My father ANDREW J was from Locksa Orava. <<<

      is also necessary to know the religion.

      LDS Roman Catholic parish registers of baptisms, marriages and deaths
      for Krivany, Slovakia, formerly Krivány, Sáros, Hungary.

      Krsty 1746-1789 Uzavreté manželstvá 1746-1790 Úmrtia 1746-1790 Krsty
      1791-1852 Uzavreté manželstvá 1791-1852 Úmrtia 1791-1852 Krsty 1853-
      1857 - FHL INTL Film [ 1792772 Items 4-6 ]

      Krsty 1857-1881 Uzavreté manželstvá 1853-1881, 1926-1929 Úmrtia 1853-
      1881 Krsty 1882-1902 Uzavreté manželstvá 1882-1902 Úmrtia 1882-1902
      Druhopisy Krsty, uzavreté manželstvá, úmrtia 1861-1895 - FHL INTL
      Film [ 1792773 Items 1-3 ]

      go there in person to order the film(s). In about a month, the film
      will arrive and you can book a film reader and begin your research.

      I haven't figured out Locksa Orava . . . others are sure to do so.
    • johnqadam
      Message 2 of 15 , May 1, 2008
        >>> I have located my grandfather's arrival in New York. He came over
        first. <<<

        Details, please.

        >>> I also located his wife (his second wife named ANNA VALEK) and the
        kids who came with her. <<<

        Details, please.
      • johnqadam
        Message 3 of 15 , May 1, 2008
          >>> The names I am primarily interested in are . . . Faye

          In Slovak, spelled Feja.

          Village of origin is Lokca, near Namestovo, phone area code 043.

          LDS has Roman Catholic parish registers of baptisms, marriages and
          deaths for Lokca, Slovakia, formerly Lokcza, Árva, Hungary.

          Krsteni 1741-1746 - FHL INTL Film [ 2002461 Item 6 ]
          Krsty 1746-1874 Uzavreté manželstvá 1744-1823 Úmrtia 1747-1774 - FHL
          INTL Film [ 2002462 ]

          Úmrtia 1774-1824 Uzavreté manželstvá 1824-1843 Úmrtia 1825-1843
          Uzavreté manželstvá 1844-1895 Úmrtia 1844-1898 - FHL INTL Film [
          2002463 Items 1-5 ]
        • johnqadam
          Message 4 of 15 , May 1, 2008
            >>> Apparently the original name was FAYE but since there were so many
            of them in the area they adopted the grandmother's name of MUDRONE.
            <<<

            FAYE [sic] = FEJA

            Phone listings suggest Mudron(ova). Look in area code 043 for Feja,
            Fejova, Mudron, Mudronova.

            Village is Lokca, near Namestova.

            SLOVAK TELEPHONE WHITE PAGES
            You might find relatives in Slovakia who have a telephone listing by
            looking them up in the phone book white pages at
            http://telefonny.zoznam.sk/

            To use the search engine, you need to complete all the letters of
            last name e.g.: Adam or Adamova. There is no English version of the
            web page.

            Peter Nagy offers English-language instructions
            http://www.centroconsult.sk/facilities/phonewp.html

            CURRENT MAP

          • jim m.
            Message 5 of 15 , May 1, 2008
              I remember my Dad saying that the immigration guy in NY apparently put the
              "e" on the end since it sounded like that.

              >>> Apparently the original name was FAYE but since there were so many
              of them in the area they adopted the grandmother's name of MUDRONE. <<<

              Phone listings suggest Mudron(ova).

              http://www.eset.com

            • jim m.
              Message 6 of 15 , May 1, 2008
                Now I understand why my Dad spelled it Feja.

                Is Lokca on the western end of the country? Near a place that is now under
                water?

                >>> The names I am primarily interested in are . . . Faye

                In Slovak, spelled Feja.

                Village of origin is Lokca, near Namestovo, phone area code 043.

                LDS has Roman Catholic parish registers of baptisms, marriages and
                deaths for Lokca, Slovakia, formerly Lokcza, �rva, Hungary.

                Krsteni 1741-1746 - FHL INTL Film [ 2002461 Item 6 ]
                Krsty 1746-1874 Uzavret� man�elstv� 1744-1823 �mrtia 1747-1774 - FHL
                INTL Film [ 2002462 ]

                �mrtia 1774-1824 Uzavret� man�elstv� 1824-1843 �mrtia 1825-1843
                Uzavret� man�elstv� 1844-1895 �mrtia 1844-1898 - FHL INTL Film [
                2002463 Items 1-5 ]

                http://www.eset.com

              • jim m.
                Message 7 of 15 , May 1, 2008
                  Thanks for good info. Will get back to you on the arrival date and port,
                  etc

                  Message 8 of 15 , May 1, 2008
                    Here is a little more info.

                    My father ANDREW born in Colorado, 1904

                    (MUDRONE) brother, Louis born in
                    Budapest, Hungary (deceased)

                    sister, Pauline,
                    also born in Budapest (deceased)

                    sister, Mary,
                    late of Redding, CA (deceased)

                    sister, Jennie,
                    late of Glendale, CA (deceased)

                    sister,
                    Margaret, ?? CA, deceased

                    married Mary Ann
                    Butkovich (born in Krivany)

                    children
                    Richard, Robert (deceased), and me, James

                    Grandfather JOHN emigrated from Slovakia 1898 -
                    probably born in Lokca

                    (MUDRON) had two sons by previous
                    marriage (Joseph & John)

                    Joseph came to
                    America 1903, settled in Joliet, IL

                    John stayed on
                    in Slovakia and was drowned in the Danube

                    first wife died
                    - maiden name thought to Anna Lucas

                    second wife
                    (Anna Valek born in Erdudka or Erdoake)

                    believed to have
                    had five brothers (Ignatius, Martin, Andrew,

                    Joseph, and ?)

                    My mother had a cousin (name of STARUH or STARUCH). I thought maybe this
                    would help me trace my mother.

                    >>> Apparently the original name was FAYE but since there were so many
                    of them in the area they adopted the grandmother's name of MUDRONE.
                    <<<

                    FAYE [sic] = FEJA

                    Phone listings suggest Mudron(ova). Look in area code 043 for Feja,
                    Fejova, Mudron, Mudronova.

                    Village is Lokca, near Namestova.

                    SLOVAK TELEPHONE WHITE PAGES
                    You might find relatives in Slovakia who have a telephone listing by
                    looking them up in the phone book white pages at
                    http://telefonny.zoznam.sk/

                    To use the search engine, you need to complete all the letters of
                    last name e.g.: Adam or Adamova. There is no English version of the
                    web page.

                    Peter Nagy offers English-language instructions
                    http://www.centroconsult.sk/facilities/phonewp.html

                    CURRENT MAP

                    http://www.eset.com

                  • Janet Kozlay
                    Message 9 of 15 , May 1, 2008
                      Hi Jim,

                      The spelling change was NOT done by an "immigration guy in NY." There was no
                      part of the immigration process where this could have happened, despite many
                      anecdotal stories to the contrary and your father's report. He would not
                      even have been asked what his name was. It was written on the ship manifest,
                      prepared at the port of embarkation in Europe, and U.S. officials were not
                      permitted to change any spellings.

                      Lokca is not under water. Check it out at MapQuest.

                      I presume that your grandfather was Andreas Mudron Feja who immigrated in
                      1910 from Hrustin, Arva megye. Note on the map how close Hrustin is to
                      Lokca.

                      Janet

                    • helene cincebeaux
                      Message 10 of 15 , May 1, 2008
                        Lokca is 6 kilometers south of Namestovo in northern
                        Slovakia, up near the Polish border in old Orava
                        county; they created a lake when a dam was built and
                        it submerged some 16 villages

                        Many of the precious treasures from the churches that
                        were flooded are preserved in a church on Slanica
                        Island - it's a fascinating trip by boat from a spot
                        near Namestovo at the Goral Hotel.

                        Have you been in touch with Paul Bingham - he is an
                        expert in this area and might be able to help you
                        try tatraarearesearchgroup@...

                        helene

                        --- "jim m." <bdgranpa3@...> wrote:

                        > Now I understand why my Dad spelled it Feja.
                        >

                        > Is Lokca on the western end of the country? Near a
                        > place that is now under
                        > water?

                        Be a better friend, newshound, and
                      • jim m.
                        Message 11 of 15 , May 1, 2008
                          Will check it out on Mapquest. Thanks for clearing up the "e" addition.

                          No, my grandfather was John Mudron who immigrated in 1900. Landed at Ellis.

                          Message 12 of 15 , May 1, 2008
                            Thanks Helene. You do get around. I always look for your posts in both
                            Slovak-world and now roots.

                            Orava and the lake sound just like my Dad said.

                            Lokca is 6 kilometers south of Namestovo in northern
                            Slovakia, up near the Polish border in old Orava
                            county; they created a lake when a dam was built and
                            it submerged some 16 villages

                            Many of the precious treasures from the churches that
                            were flooded are preserved in a church on Slanica
                            Island - it's a fascinating trip by boat from a spot
                            near Namestovo at the Goral Hotel.

                            Have you been in touch with Paul Bingham - he is an
                            expert in this area and might be able to help you
                            try tatraarearesearchgroup@...
                            <mailto:tatraarearesearchgroup%40gmail.com>

                            helene

                            --- "jim m." <bdgranpa3@... <mailto:bdgranpa3%40verizon.net> >
                            wrote:

                            > Now I understand why my Dad spelled it Feja.
                            >

                            > Is Lokca on the western end of the country? Near a
                            > place that is now under
                            > water?
                            >

                            > From: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com>

                            <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS-unsubscribe%40yahoogroups.comYahoo> !

                            Message 13 of 15 , May 1, 2008
                              >>> second wife (Anna Valek born in Erdudka or Erdoake)<<<

                              Oravská Lesná, Slovakia, formerly Erdõdka (or Erdõdke), Árva, Hungary.
                              It is located 15 km due west of Lokca.

                              Possible cousins from phone listings:

                              Valek Lukáš, Krušetnica 219, Krušetnica
                              Válek Stanislav, Krušetnica 219, Krušetnica
                            • johnqadam
                              Message 14 of 15 , May 1, 2008
                                >>> No, my grandfather was John Mudron who immigrated in 1900. Landed
                                at Ellis. <<<

                                I believe it is 05 Sep 1899. See Mudrony Janos.