New member or oldie coming back

  • jim m.
    Message 1 of 15 , May 1 9:53 AM
      Hi everyone,

      My name is Jim and I am trying to do some research.

      The names I am primarily interested in are:
      Mudron or Mudrone
      Faye
      Butkovick or Butkovics
      Valek

      I understand my mother was orphaned and went to live with her brother before
      emigrating. Her name was MARY A. BUTKOVICH or BUTKOVICS. Place of origin
      was supposedly KRIVANY.

      My father ANDREW J was from Locksa Orava.

      I have located my grandfather's arrival in New York. He came over first. I
      also located his wife ( his second wife named ANNA VALEK) and the kids who
      came with her. Have been unable to locate his first wife who passed on.

      Apparently the original name was FAYE but since there were so many of them
      in the area they adopted the grandmother's name of MUDRONE.

      If anyone can help me or point me in the right direction, I would appreciate
      it. Since I am the last of the line, I want my children to know a little
      about our family.

      Thanks.

      Jim

    • johnqadam
      Message 2 of 15 , May 1 11:01 AM
        >>> Place of origin was supposedly KRIVANY. <<<
        >>> My father ANDREW J was from Locksa Orava. <<<

        is also necessary to know the religion.

        LDS Roman Catholic parish registers of baptisms, marriages and deaths
        for Krivany, Slovakia, formerly Krivány, Sáros, Hungary.

        Krsty 1746-1789 Uzavreté manželstvá 1746-1790 Úmrtia 1746-1790 Krsty
        1791-1852 Uzavreté manželstvá 1791-1852 Úmrtia 1791-1852 Krsty 1853-
        1857 - FHL INTL Film [ 1792772 Items 4-6 ]

        Krsty 1857-1881 Uzavreté manželstvá 1853-1881, 1926-1929 Úmrtia 1853-
        1881 Krsty 1882-1902 Uzavreté manželstvá 1882-1902 Úmrtia 1882-1902
        Druhopisy Krsty, uzavreté manželstvá, úmrtia 1861-1895 - FHL INTL
        Film [ 1792773 Items 1-3 ]

        go there in person to order the film(s). In about a month, the film
        will arrive and you can book a film reader and begin your research.

        I haven't figured out Locksa Orava . . . others are sure to do so.
      • johnqadam
        Message 3 of 15 , May 1 12:36 PM
          >>> I have located my grandfather's arrival in New York. He came over
          first. <<<

          Details, please.

          Message 4 of 15 , May 1 12:52 PM
            >>> The names I am primarily interested in are . . . Faye

            In Slovak, spelled Feja.

            Village of origin is Lokca, near Namestovo, phone area code 043.

            LDS has Roman Catholic parish registers of baptisms, marriages and
            deaths for Lokca, Slovakia, formerly Lokcza, Árva, Hungary.

            Krsteni 1741-1746 - FHL INTL Film [ 2002461 Item 6 ]
            Krsty 1746-1874 Uzavreté manželstvá 1744-1823 Úmrtia 1747-1774 - FHL
            INTL Film [ 2002462 ]

            Úmrtia 1774-1824 Uzavreté manželstvá 1824-1843 Úmrtia 1825-1843
            Uzavreté manželstvá 1844-1895 Úmrtia 1844-1898 - FHL INTL Film [
            2002463 Items 1-5 ]
          • johnqadam
            Message 5 of 15 , May 1 1:04 PM
              >>> Apparently the original name was FAYE but since there were so many
              of them in the area they adopted the grandmother's name of MUDRONE.
              <<<

              FAYE [sic] = FEJA

              Phone listings suggest Mudron(ova). Look in area code 043 for Feja,
              Fejova, Mudron, Mudronova.

              Village is Lokca, near Namestova.

              SLOVAK TELEPHONE WHITE PAGES
              You might find relatives in Slovakia who have a telephone listing by
              looking them up in the phone book white pages at
              http://telefonny.zoznam.sk/

              To use the search engine, you need to complete all the letters of
              last name e.g.: Adam or Adamova. There is no English version of the
              web page.

              Peter Nagy offers English-language instructions
              http://www.centroconsult.sk/facilities/phonewp.html

              CURRENT MAP

            • jim m.
              Message 6 of 15 , May 1 3:06 PM
                I remember my Dad saying that the immigration guy in NY apparently put the
                "e" on the end since it sounded like that.

                >>> Apparently the original name was FAYE but since there were so many
                of them in the area they adopted the grandmother's name of MUDRONE. <<<

                Phone listings suggest Mudron(ova).

                http://www.eset.com

              • jim m.
                Message 7 of 15 , May 1 3:08 PM
                  Now I understand why my Dad spelled it Feja.

                  Is Lokca on the western end of the country? Near a place that is now under
                  water?

                  >>> The names I am primarily interested in are . . . Faye

                  In Slovak, spelled Feja.

                  Village of origin is Lokca, near Namestovo, phone area code 043.

                  LDS has Roman Catholic parish registers of baptisms, marriages and
                  deaths for Lokca, Slovakia, formerly Lokcza, �rva, Hungary.

                  Krsteni 1741-1746 - FHL INTL Film [ 2002461 Item 6 ]
                  Krsty 1746-1874 Uzavret� man�elstv� 1744-1823 �mrtia 1747-1774 - FHL
                  INTL Film [ 2002462 ]

                  �mrtia 1774-1824 Uzavret� man�elstv� 1824-1843 �mrtia 1825-1843
                  Uzavret� man�elstv� 1844-1895 �mrtia 1844-1898 - FHL INTL Film [
                  2002463 Items 1-5 ]

                  http://www.eset.com

                • jim m.
                  Message 8 of 15 , May 1 3:09 PM
                    Thanks for good info. Will get back to you on the arrival date and port,
                    etc

                    Message 9 of 15 , May 1 3:34 PM
                      Here is a little more info.

                      My father ANDREW born in Colorado, 1904

                      (MUDRONE) brother, Louis born in
                      Budapest, Hungary (deceased)

                      sister, Pauline,
                      also born in Budapest (deceased)

                      sister, Mary,
                      late of Redding, CA (deceased)

                      sister, Jennie,
                      late of Glendale, CA (deceased)

                      sister,
                      Margaret, ?? CA, deceased

                      married Mary Ann
                      Butkovich (born in Krivany)

                      children
                      Richard, Robert (deceased), and me, James

                      Grandfather JOHN emigrated from Slovakia 1898 -
                      probably born in Lokca

                      (MUDRON) had two sons by previous
                      marriage (Joseph & John)

                      Joseph came to
                      America 1903, settled in Joliet, IL

                      John stayed on
                      in Slovakia and was drowned in the Danube

                      first wife died
                      - maiden name thought to Anna Lucas

                      second wife
                      (Anna Valek born in Erdudka or Erdoake)

                      believed to have
                      had five brothers (Ignatius, Martin, Andrew,

                      Joseph, and ?)

                      My mother had a cousin (name of STARUH or STARUCH). I thought maybe this
                      would help me trace my mother.

                      >>> Apparently the original name was FAYE but since there were so many
                      of them in the area they adopted the grandmother's name of MUDRONE.
                      <<<

                      FAYE [sic] = FEJA

                      Phone listings suggest Mudron(ova). Look in area code 043 for Feja,
                      Fejova, Mudron, Mudronova.

                      Village is Lokca, near Namestova.

                      SLOVAK TELEPHONE WHITE PAGES
                      You might find relatives in Slovakia who have a telephone listing by
                      looking them up in the phone book white pages at
                      http://telefonny.zoznam.sk/

                      To use the search engine, you need to complete all the letters of
                      last name e.g.: Adam or Adamova. There is no English version of the
                      web page.

                      Peter Nagy offers English-language instructions
                      http://www.centroconsult.sk/facilities/phonewp.html

                      CURRENT MAP

                      http://www.eset.com

                    • Janet Kozlay
                      Message 10 of 15 , May 1 3:46 PM
                        Hi Jim,

                        The spelling change was NOT done by an "immigration guy in NY." There was no
                        part of the immigration process where this could have happened, despite many
                        anecdotal stories to the contrary and your father's report. He would not
                        even have been asked what his name was. It was written on the ship manifest,
                        prepared at the port of embarkation in Europe, and U.S. officials were not
                        permitted to change any spellings.

                        Lokca is not under water. Check it out at MapQuest.

                        I presume that your grandfather was Andreas Mudron Feja who immigrated in
                        1910 from Hrustin, Arva megye. Note on the map how close Hrustin is to
                        Lokca.

                        Janet

                      • helene cincebeaux
                        Message 11 of 15 , May 1 3:47 PM
                          Lokca is 6 kilometers south of Namestovo in northern
                          Slovakia, up near the Polish border in old Orava
                          county; they created a lake when a dam was built and
                          it submerged some 16 villages

                          Many of the precious treasures from the churches that
                          were flooded are preserved in a church on Slanica
                          Island - it's a fascinating trip by boat from a spot
                          near Namestovo at the Goral Hotel.

                          Have you been in touch with Paul Bingham - he is an
                          expert in this area and might be able to help you
                          try tatraarearesearchgroup@...

                          helene

                          --- "jim m." <bdgranpa3@...> wrote:

                          > Now I understand why my Dad spelled it Feja.
                          >

                          > Is Lokca on the western end of the country? Near a
                          > place that is now under
                          > water?

                          Be a better friend, newshound, and
                        • jim m.
                          Message 12 of 15 , May 1 4:05 PM
                            Will check it out on Mapquest. Thanks for clearing up the "e" addition.

                            No, my grandfather was John Mudron who immigrated in 1900. Landed at Ellis.

                            Message 13 of 15 , May 1 4:08 PM
                              Thanks Helene. You do get around. I always look for your posts in both
                              Slovak-world and now roots.

                              Orava and the lake sound just like my Dad said.

                              Lokca is 6 kilometers south of Namestovo in northern
                              Slovakia, up near the Polish border in old Orava
                              county; they created a lake when a dam was built and
                              it submerged some 16 villages

                              Many of the precious treasures from the churches that
                              were flooded are preserved in a church on Slanica
                              Island - it's a fascinating trip by boat from a spot
                              near Namestovo at the Goral Hotel.

                              Have you been in touch with Paul Bingham - he is an
                              expert in this area and might be able to help you
                              try tatraarearesearchgroup@...
                              <mailto:tatraarearesearchgroup%40gmail.com>

                              helene

                              --- "jim m." <bdgranpa3@... <mailto:bdgranpa3%40verizon.net> >
                              wrote:

                              > Now I understand why my Dad spelled it Feja.
                              >

                              > Is Lokca on the western end of the country? Near a
                              > place that is now under
                              > water?
                              >

                              > From: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com>

                              <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS-unsubscribe%40yahoogroups.comYahoo> !

                              Message 14 of 15 , May 1 5:44 PM
                                >>> second wife (Anna Valek born in Erdudka or Erdoake)<<<

                                Oravská Lesná, Slovakia, formerly Erdõdka (or Erdõdke), Árva, Hungary.
                                It is located 15 km due west of Lokca.

                                Possible cousins from phone listings:

                                Valek Lukáš, Krušetnica 219, Krušetnica
                                Válek Stanislav, Krušetnica 219, Krušetnica
                              • johnqadam
                                Message 15 of 15 , May 1 5:56 PM
                                  >>> No, my grandfather was John Mudron who immigrated in 1900. Landed
                                  at Ellis. <<<

                                  I believe it is 05 Sep 1899. See Mudrony Janos.