Re: [SLOVAK-ROOTS] on line Slovak telephone book

  • Tarzantu2@aol.com
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 15, 2000
      In a message dated 7/14/00 9:42:22 PM Central Daylight Time,
      jmatsko@... writes:

      << At 09:25 PM 7/14/00 -0400, you wrote:
      >For those of us who speak no Slovak, could you please explain how to use the
      >telephone website http://www.zoznamst.sk/sk/index.htm ?
      >Thanks,
      >Robin Hannig

      You don't have to use diacritic marks.

      Názov alebo priezvisko* - Put in the surname

      Klúc^ové slovo* - Keyword (means - Ako klúcové slovo môzete pouzit niektoré
      heslo z branzovníka. - which I didn't translate because I don't use it. I
      leave it blank)

      Ulica - Street - leave blank unless known

      Císlo domu - House number if known

      Mesto* - Town - must have at least the first three letters of the town. At
      one time you could use just one and run the alphabet.

      Smerové telefónne císlo* = Area code leave blank unless known

      Janko

      Thank you, thank you, thank you. Robin, for asking the question and Janko
      for providing the answer. I should have thought to ask the question myself
      months ago, as I struggled off and on to find a decent Slovack language
      translation dictionary on the internet. It must be one of those male things
      about asking for directions. LOL. Thanks again. I will use the white pages
      right away.

      Ray
    • jallen50
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 15, 2000
        Ray...I don't know if it will help you, but at least for translation of
        words, I use www.otpalca.sk/Aplik/Ang/anglictina.html. Some generous person
        took pity on me and gave me the site. Hope it helps!
        June

        jmatsko@... writes:

        << At 09:25 PM 7/14/00 -0400, you wrote:
        >For those of us who speak no Slovak, could you please explain how to use
        the
        >telephone website http://www.zoznamst.sk/sk/index.htm ?
        >Thanks,
        >Robin Hannig

        You don't have to use diacritic marks.

        Názov alebo priezvisko* - Put in the surname

        Klúc^ové slovo* - Keyword (means - Ako klúcové slovo môzete pouzit niektoré
        heslo z branzovníka. - which I didn't translate because I don't use it. I
        leave it blank)

        Ulica - Street - leave blank unless known

        Císlo domu - House number if known

        Mesto* - Town - must have at least the first three letters of the town. At
        one time you could use just one and run the alphabet.

        Smerové telefónne císlo* = Area code leave blank unless known

        Janko

        Thank you, thank you, thank you. Robin, for asking the question and Janko
        for providing the answer. I should have thought to ask the question myself
        months ago, as I struggled off and on to find a decent Slovack language
        translation dictionary on the internet. It must be one of those male things
        about asking for directions. LOL. Thanks again. I will use the white
        pages
        right away.

        Ray

        Get great brand name shoes with just the click of a mouse. Check out
        the huge selection at Zappos.com, the Web's Most Popular Store!
        http://click.egroups.com/1/6994/0/_/545880/_/963679243/
      • Tarzantu2@aol.com
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 15, 2000
          June,
          Thanks for the Otpalca translation site. In using the entire web address
          www.otpalca.sk/Aplik/Ang/anglictina.html, I received a can't display page
          msg. But, I was directed to just use www.otpalca.sk, and that got me into
          the site.

          I'm not sure if I have used this site before or not. I have 12 different
          language dictionary/translation sites in my favorite places, in case anyone
          would like to check out some different ones that they may not have.

          The problem I find with all of them - and it's probably just a language
          translation from English to whatever and vice-versa, that all the words don't
          come back with the match we're looking for. There seems to be a lot of
          variables. Sometimes where I know what the Slovak word means, I'll type it
          in English and get the right Slovak word. But if I then type it in Slovak, I
          don't get the same English word.

          Anyway, if you would like to try this site, it covers a ton of languages <A
          HREF="http://www.yourdictionary.com/">Click here: yourDictionary.com</A> for
          those that get the blue hyper-link, otherwise use
          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 16, 2000
            Ray: That site is really something else! I can't think of a language not
            represented! What a find of those who have records in multiple countries
            with languages other than English that they must search through! Thanks for
            the lead!!!
[...]

            Visit Ancestry.com for a FREE 14-Day Trial and find your ancestors now.
            Search over 600 million names and trace your family tree today.
            Click here:
            http://click.egroups.com/1/7001/0/_/545880/_/963723703/
          • Madrobnak@aol.com
            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 16, 2000
              In a message dated 7/16/00 1:02:25 AM, Tarzantu2@... writes:

              << http://www.yourdictionary.com/ >>

              Thank you for giving everyone on the list this dictionary info. choirmn
            • Tarzantu2@aol.com
              Message 6 of 10 , Jul 16, 2000
                You're welcome, and I hope you noticed the Babelfish site also. It is
                absolutely fantastic.
                Ray

                <<