Re: Validity of LDS Data (a bit of a misnomer)

  • johnqadam
    Message 1 of 13 , Apr 22, 2008
      >>> Let me vent for a minute . . . OK, I'm off of my soapbox. Back
      to your regularly scheduled program. <<<

      Bill, you may say anything you like. You da boss!
    • Bruce L. Bauer
      Message 2 of 13 , Apr 22, 2008
        Bill

        I tried to do what you suggest and not standardize the names when I
        started but found I could not identify people in the same family once
        my data base started growing (a list of people would be all over the
        place instead of grouped). I generally use the most common spelling
        in the records (or the first I come across then change it later if it
        is not the most common - Never use the Americanized version.) (Not so
        much in the Slovak records but common in the early German). The
        Latin to Magyar shift in the records makes keeping family names
        together difficult as well. I now include in the source citation a
        statement like "The surname was spelled XXXXX." to get what I
        consider the best of both worlds.

        Bruce

      • bill.tarkulich@iabsi.com
        Message 3 of 13 , Apr 22, 2008
          Bruce,
          The mainstream would frown upon that practice, sorry to say :(
          I have English, Slovak, Latin and Church Slavonic. I stayed true to the
          rule, even though my names changed. I changed the offspring's surnames if
          they embraced a name change from documents.

          I guess I don't see why you had problem identifying people. My family tree
          software is like my driver's manual. I keep it open all the time when I'm
          trying to connect people. It has a pretty good presentation and I follow
          up and down the tree pretty easily. Well, whatever works for you.

          Bill

          On Tue, 22 Apr 2008 13:39:41 -0500, "Bruce L. Bauer" <bbauer@...>
          wrote:
          > Bill
          >
          > I tried to do what you suggest and not standardize the names when I
          > started but found I could not identify people in the same family once
          > my data base started growing (a list of people would be all over the
          > place instead of grouped). I generally use the most common spelling
          > in the records (or the first I come across then change it later if it
          > is not the most common - Never use the Americanized version.) (Not so
          > much in the Slovak records but common in the early German). The
          > Latin to Magyar shift in the records makes keeping family names
          > together difficult as well. I now include in the source citation a
          > statement like "The surname was spelled XXXXX." to get what I
          > consider the best of both worlds.
          >
          > Bruce
          >
          > At 12:23 PM 4/22/2008, you wrote:
          >>Which brings me to the second point. Be true to your sources. When I
          >>first began documenting my family tree, I started to convert all the
          >>various renderings of my surname into the spelling used in
          >>contemporary USA. Big mistake. If a future researcher want to review
          >>some of my work, they need to be able to find the exact entry,
          >>otherwise, they won't be certain that they found is what I found.

        • Nick Holcz
          Message 4 of 13 , Apr 22, 2008
            Bill,some data LDS has is flawed as you say it was contributed data.
            My father's birth data was incorrect and I need to scan his birth
            certificate and email it to LDS in order for them to correct it.
            It would be impossible for them to verify every submission received
            and I guess it is up to us researching our families to let them know
            when we can supply verified correct data.

            Nick
          • Janet Kozlay
            Message 5 of 13 , Apr 23, 2008
              Several years ago I tried complaining about errors in data that was
              submitted to LDS. I was told that it could not be "corrected." My only
              recourse was to make my own submission with the correct information. I also
              brought the errors to the attention of the individual who had submitted
              them. I asked where he had gotten his information and he replied, "somewhere
              in Connecticut." How's that for valid sources? His attitude was basically
              that he really didn't care that his submitted data was full of errors.

              Janet

              _____

              Message 6 of 13 , Apr 23, 2008
                At 04:57 PM 23/04/2008, you wrote:

                >Several years ago I tried complaining about errors in data that was
                >submitted to LDS. I was told that it could not be "corrected."

                Yes I had the same problem until I could send them the birth
                certificate, the fact that is was my father and I told them their
                data was wrong meant nought to them.

                Nick
              • bill.tarkulich@iabsi.com
                Message 7 of 13 , Apr 23, 2008
                  The problem with that system is that they are not staffed or funded to
                  manage, validate or check it. They don't have the time to make
                  corrections, it is expected that submitters keep it accurate. By
                  defintion, that's impossible since there is no contact info. It was set up
                  for users to submit whatever you want. That, by definition, makes it a
                  free-for-all, with no quality control, just like Ancestry.

                  There should be a disclaimer on that facility, acknowledging the risks and
                  errors. That would hopefully minimize the number of people who waste a lot
                  of time thinking the data are accurate. Then again, I am very hesitant to
                  bite the hand that feeds me.....

                  Bill

                • bill.tarkulich@iabsi.com
                  Message 8 of 13 , Apr 23, 2008
                    Nick,

                    No insult intended, but I think you would be wasting your time. They don't
                    have staff assigned for that function. I think your certificate would go
                    into a black hole and never come out.

                    Bill

                    On Wed, 23 Apr 2008 11:52:17 +0800, Nick Holcz <nickh@...> wrote:
                    > Bill,some data LDS has is flawed as you say it was contributed data.
                    > My father's birth data was incorrect and I need to scan his birth
                    > certificate and email it to LDS in order for them to correct it.
                    > It would be impossible for them to verify every submission received
                    > and I guess it is up to us researching our families to let them know
                    > when we can supply verified correct data.
                    >
                    > Nick

                  • Nick Holcz
                    Message 9 of 13 , Apr 23, 2008
                      At 07:55 PM 23/04/2008, you wrote:

                      >Nick,
                      >
                      >No insult intended, but I think you would be wasting your time. They don't
                      >have staff assigned for that function. I think your certificate would go
                      >into a black hole and never come out.
                      >
                      >Bill
                      No insult received by me, but they did change it.

                      Nick
                      Message 10 of 13 , Apr 24, 2008
                        That is great news Nick. I'm really surprised, but glad you had success,
                        albeit a lot of work.
                        Bill

                        >No insult intended, but I think you would be wasting your time. They don't
                        >have staff assigned for that function. I think your certificate would go
                        >into a black hole and never come out.
                        >
                        >Bill
                        No insult received by me, but they did change it.

                        Nick

                      • Ron Matviyak
                        Message 11 of 13 , Apr 24, 2008
                          It is not just LDS that encounters problems with old records, as any
                          of you who tried to interpret old writing can confirm.

                          It seems that the famous German physicist Max Planck was in reality
                          Marx Planck ...

                          You can see the original photo of the name at

                          http://www.spiegel.de/wissenschaft/mensch/0,1518,549404,00.html

                          Max Planck, einer der berühmtesten Physiker Deutschlands, hieß
                          offiziell gar nicht Max, sondern Marx Planck. Was nach einem späten
                          Aprilscherz klingt, haben Historiker jetzt bestätigt. Gibt es bald
                          Marx-Planck-Institute?

                          So the Germans are light-heartedly asking if there will soon be a
                          Marx-Planck Institute, renaming the Max-Planck Institute.

                          Ron