How To Determine A Village

  • lkonecny@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 18, 2008
      I am new to Czechoslovakia research and I am in need of direction. It is my
      understanding that one of the first things I need to do in order to conduct
      an accurate search is to determine what Village my relatives came from. The
      information that I have is as follows: The Declaration of Intention dated
      1928 states his place of birth was Strvtek, Czechoslovakia. The Petition For
      Citizenship, dated 1934, states his place of birth was Stvrtek, Czechoslovakia
      and his race is Slovak. His SS5 form dated 1937 states his place of birth
      was Bohemia. On one of his daughters birth certificates dated 1914 states his
      place of birth was Trencin Hungary Europe. The Certificate of Arrival has
      his last name spelled Konecsin, while the other documents have the name
      spelled Konecny. Where and how do I determine what Village he would have come from?

      I have his parents names and one sisters name, but no idea where to go from
      here. I would appreciate any help.

      Thank you,
      Lynn

      listings at AOL Autos.

    • johnqadam
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 18, 2008
        >>> to determine what Village my relatives came from. <<<

        Right on!

        >>> his place of birth was Strvtek, Czechoslovakia.
        >>> his place of birth was Stvrtek, Czechoslovakia
        >>> his place of birth was Bohemia.
        >>> his daughters birth certificates dated 1914 states his place of
        birth was Trencin Hungary Europe.
        >>> and his race is Slovak.

        Four of five references and the Slovak descent point to western
        Slovakia, near Trencin, which is both a city and county. The
        reference to Bohemia I consider to be an error.

        Spelling of Strvtek I consider to be an error. S/B Stvrtok. Go to
        http://www.jewishgen.org/ShtetlSeeker/loctown.htm and you will find
        Štvrtok 48°49' 17°53' 57.9 miles NE of Bratislava. Shtetlseeker will
        take you there via Mapquest. It is a very small village with only
        four significant streets.

        Church records for western Slovakia are becoming available but
        Stvrtok does not show up, nor do adjacent villages. Read the
        following para to dtermine the availability of church records in
        Slovak archives.

        LDS FICHES (set of 6) LDS #6000786
        Slovak archives. Index of villages is on fiche #6 and page
        references refer to different religions. Most of these church records
        are available on film via your LDS Family History Center -- but not
        all of western Slovakia. These fiches are often on hand at your local
        LDS Family History Center.

        LOCATE YOUR NEAREST FAMILY HISTORY CENTER AND ORDER FICHES
        go there in person to view or order the fiches.

        Good luck.
      • johnqadam
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 18, 2008
          This is in addition to my earlier reply.

          The 1828 Hungarian Census list of villages shows Csotortok, TRENCSEN
          MEGYE. This list can be seen at http://iabsi.com/

          1910 HUNGARIAN MAP
          The old Hungarian map can be found at:
          http://lazarus.elte.hu/hun/maps/1910/trencsen.jpg

          Look in the pink area, mid-left, west side of the big river, to find
          Csatortok. That's the village to which my references lead.

          CUT and PRINT the relevant section of the map. Otherwise, you just get
          a corner. This map uses the Hungarian village names that you will
          likely find in church records.
        • lkonecny@aol.com
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 18, 2008
            Thank you so much for your help.

            Lynn

            MEGYE. This list can be seen at _http://iabsi.http_ (http://iabsi.com/)

            _http://lazarus.http://lazarhttp://lazhttp://lahtt_

            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 18, 2008
              >>> The Certificate of Arrival has his last name spelled Konecsin,
              while the other documents have the name spelled Konecny.<<<

              Konecny/Konecna phone listings appear in nearby Trenc'ianske Stankovce
              and Trenc'in as well as Nové Mesto nad Váhom.

              Konecsin(ova) does not appear in all Slovakia.