[S-R] Re: New to the Group/ Erdelyi

  • Sue
    Message 1 of 20 , Apr 13 11:28 AM
      Hi Bill,
      My scans are in the Photo Section under Erdelyi Album.
      Sue
      Don't be afraid, cemetery ghosts are only genealogists with lanterns.
      Ancestor Hunters Genealogy Group
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ancestorhunters/

      Message 2 of 20 , Apr 13 11:31 AM
        Hi,
        I found them - can you please get us bigger images; they are too
        small to read.

        Danger! Danger! Danger! Treat all typewritten documents with great
        suspicion. They are undoubtedly transcribed from something else.
        What port did they depart from? Germany? Hungary/Trieste? Other?

        Bill = Don't worry, I won't be afraid....

        Message 3 of 20 , Apr 13 11:47 AM
          OK, I know why I'm confused now. I think you may be confusing two
          family groups.
          I went to the EI site and looked at the Amalia 1907 manifest. Did you
          look at the whole page? There are both TOTH and TAR all from HALABOR
          on the same manifest. They are several lines apart, but the same
          page. Hmmmm. I smell a rat. Whenever I find a manifest of interest,
          I quickly scan the entire manifest for other clues such as people from
          the same village or same surname, just broken apart. The
          transcription process to create the database is sadly lacking, and
          introduced many errors in it. I recommend your next step is to quicly
          review every manifest page.

          My GM's cousins had their records transposed - they were right next to
          each other, one was married, the other not.

          I have a feeling some confusion occurred at manifest creation time.
          I would also give you some tips on searching for variants in EIDB:
          http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/EIDB_Errors.htm

          I will leave the next steps to you.

          Message 4 of 20 , Apr 13 11:58 AM
            All these TARs are from Halabor, different years:
            All these TOTH are from Halabor, different years.

            Residence Age Born* Arrived Passenger
            Record
            Tar, Amalia Halabor 18 1889 1907
            Tar, Paula Halabor, Hungary 3 1907 1910
            Tar, Roza Halabor, Hungary 30 1880 1910
            Tar, Zsigmond Halabor 28 1878 1906
            Toth, Ilonka Halabor, Cz. Slov. 17 1904 1921
            Toth, Josef Halabor 38 1865 1903
            Toth, Jozsef Halabor 43 1864 1907
            Toth, Jozsef Halabor, Hungary 48 1865 1913
            Toth, Samuel Halabor, Hungary 49 1863 1912
            Toth, Schmul Halabor 45 1862 1907

            And I haven't even tried name variations/misspellings yet!

            <bill.tarkulich@...> wrote:

            > OK, I know why I'm confused now. I think you may be confusing two
            > family groups.
            > I went to the EI site and looked at the Amalia 1907 manifest. Did you
            > look at the whole page? There are both TOTH and TAR all from HALABOR
            > on the same manifest. They are several lines apart, but the same
            > page. Hmmmm. I smell a rat. Whenever I find a manifest of interest,
            > I quickly scan the entire manifest for other clues such as people from
            > the same village or same surname, just broken apart. The
            > transcription process to create the database is sadly lacking, and
            > introduced many errors in it. I recommend your next step is to quicly
            > review every manifest page.
            >
            > My GM's cousins had their records transposed - they were right next to
            > each other, one was married, the other not.
            >
            > I have a feeling some confusion occurred at manifest creation time.
            > I would also give you some tips on searching for variants in EIDB:
            > http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/EIDB_Errors.htm
            >
            > I will leave the next steps to you.
            >

            > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Sue" <sueseyes@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Hi Bill,
            > > My scans are in the Photo Section under Erdelyi Album.
            > > Sue
            > > Don't be afraid, cemetery ghosts are only genealogists with lanterns.
            > > Ancestor Hunters Genealogy Group
            > > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ancestorhunters/
            > >

            > > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Tarkulich"
            > > <bill.tarkulich@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > Sue,
            > > > I would offer that "Close only counts in horse shoes, hand grenades
            > > > and genealogy dates" !!!!
            > > >
            > > > What I mean, it that getting within a couple years of a birth is a
            > > > reason to count IN a records, not to count it OUT.
            > > > There are five different, ostensibly credible documents for my
            > > > grandfather, all which list his birth date/year/month differently.
            > > > Nobody has ever been able to corroborate his birthdate.
            > > >
            > > > Fact is that in many villages in this regions, the birthdate was
            > > > unimportant. It was the person's saint's name day that was very
            > > > important.
            > > >
            > > > It would be also useful research to look for both surnames in the
            > > > Ellis records. See if you can find other individuals or families
            > > with
            > > > the same surname who came from that village. Absence of others from
            > > > that village doesn't mean anything, but if you do find others with
            > > the
            > > > same name, traveling on different dates, that would be an important
            > > clue.
            > > >
            > > > I hope you get the idea. There are sometimes reasons to discount
            > > > evidence, and sometimes reasons to include evidence. It isn't the
            > > > smoking gun, but it does give you reason to continue to pursue a
            > > trail.
            > > >
            > > > Lastly, where are the scans you uploaded? I'm a little lost.
            > > >
            > > > Bill

            > > > September 17,

          • Adrienne Sowards
            Message 5 of 20 , Apr 17 5:44 PM
              I've been watching the Erdelyi posts with interest.

              I have ancestors by the name of Cverdel/Czverdely/Sverdel (and variations thereof) from Bardejov, Slovakia. What are the chances that Cverdel is related to the name Erdelyi, or "from Transylvania?"

              I know one Cverdel relative moved to Budapest (circa 1900) and changed his last name to a variation of Erdelyi. Unfortunately I have to go find the documentation on that - I don't have it with me right now!

              But I would love to know where Cverdel/Sverdel comes from. It's very unusual. So far I've found just one family still going by the name Cverdely!

              Thanks,
              Adrienne

            • Adrienne Sowards
              Message 6 of 20 , Apr 18 8:04 AM
                Still wondering about the Erdelyi/Czverdely connection.

                This document (http://www.nhmus.hu/~pappmin/tmh7_390-420_adattar5.pdf) contains a photo of a distant cousin of mine who changed his name from Czverdely to Erdelyi when he moved from Slovakia to Hungary.

                I'm wondering if he chose the last name "Erdelyi" just because he thought it was a good name, or if it has a connection with Czverdely.

              • william gura
                Message 7 of 20 , Apr 18 7:23 PM
                  anyone have any good information about tours in slovakia??? i want to take the back roads and visit the small villages and try to find old family ties in the spis region... in the villages of either vlachy or the magura range area//// thanks

                • Margo Smith
                  Message 8 of 20 , Apr 20 4:07 PM
                    Contact Helene Cincebeaux at helenezx@...

                    william gura <wgura@...> wrote: anyone have any good information about tours in slovakia??? i want to take the back roads and visit the small villages and try to find old family ties in the spis region... in the villages of either vlachy or the magura range area//// thanks