Re: [S-R] Re: Need Icon pictures!

  • June McKee
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 9, 2008
      I find this subject also interesting, my mother is Russian and was raised in the Orthodox church in San Francisco. Her mother fled from Russia with herr mother and a brother during the wars in 1904 or there abouts. There are some horrible stories my grandmother told of their journey to either China or Japan and then Hawiai and finally Oakland California. My mother had an uncle which was a Bishop in the Russian Orthadox church in Russia but searching information for that area is not possible so I cant find out much more. There is a Very small church here in Oregon which is about two hours away from me and the only one I have seen in this area. I stoped to go in when passing and there was nowone around but was able to get on their mailing list and recieve information from time to time from the Carpatho-Rusyn Research Center. My mother has three very old Icons which my grandmother brought with her from Russia when she left at the age of 5, I am still holding my breath to get one of them. My mom isnt ready to let them go yet. My father is my Slovak side.

      June

      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 9, 2008
        How fascinating, June. There are several Orthodox churches in Oregon, mostly between Eugene and Portland. I hope you can find one for a visit. It would be great if you could photograph your grandmother's icons and share them. I knew a Russian lady about thirty years ago, whose family had fled through Harbin, China. Perhaps that is the route your family took.

        <lindauhiren@...> wrote:

        > Hello from Arkansas -
        > I am new to the Slovak Roots Group and have not yet had time to
        introduce myself. I am researching the history of the 1894
        settlement of our farming community, Slovak, Arkansas (formerly
        called Slovaktown).
        > Your request for icons interests me because there was a Russian
        Orthodox Church here at that time, but little is known of it's
        history. I have been loaned a picture of the church exterior and
        an interior group photo.
        > Behind the group, is an archway to the altar area with a door on
        either side. Across the wall area and above the doors are what I
        would call icons. On the wall above the altar crucifix is a single
        icon. There are 12 small icons in all. Through the open door to my
        left is a larger picture of Christ praying with the light of God
        shining on him. Most of the icons are not clear but are
        recognizable. This is a good clear picture otherwise. Some
        tapestries are shown also. The church and cemetery are known as
        St. Marys Russian Orthodox . That Church building burned and a
        second one was later built. When the congregation dwindled, the
        building was moved to Stuttgart and still stands as a Hall building
        for the Episcopalian Church.
        > Another church of that time remains. It is Saints Cyril and
        Methodius Catholic Church and cemetery. A former resident has sent
        an icon type picture of Sts. Cyril and Methodius which is displayed
        there. This information may not be of any use to you but I hope
        some of the readers find it interesting . I would like to know
        where to find information to better inform me of this religion.

        > If any of you have ties to the Slovak community here, I would love
        to hear from you.
        > Thank you,
        > Linda Uhiren

      • Vladimir Linder
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 9, 2008
          I have detailed photographs of the ICONS of most Orthodox wooden
          churches in SLOVAKIA
          Contact me for details and pricing.
          Vladi

          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 9, 2008
            I have many from several Eastern Slovakia wooden churches. They were taken
            before digital cameras, so they would need to be scanned.

            Also, regarding origins of icons. I have one book from the Saris region,
            which suggests that most of these icons, at least in the east, were created
            in a monastery, most likely Lvov (now in Ukraine.) but the actual
            iconographer will never be known.

            It is very, very haunting to travel around the region and see the same faces
            and same styles. I always wondered how these churches in poor rural
            villages acquired them. I suppose the church provided them?

            Bill

            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 9, 2008
              hi Bill - i agree about the incredible icons in this
              remote region - some 200 years old or more -I was told
              these are very special as they are not so stylized as
              the more formal city icons - but reflect the faces of
              the village people.

              I visited an icon museum in Sanok, Poland and found a
              lot of similarities with the icons i saw in the remote
              wooden churches in eastern Slovakia. As i understand
              it there was a school of icon painters there.

              My all time favorite is a very large icon that shows
              devils tempting sleeping people and the ones they
              caught are being marched to hell on a huge red Mamon's
              tongue!

              Don't miss the icon museum in Bardejov- it is totally
              wonderful with the ancient icons, the carved gates and
              the only iconostatsis inside a museum in the world!

              Then head for the countryside to see some icons in
              their original homes - you can't failed to be moved by
              the tiny doorways - thinking of my favorite one that
              has roses painted around it and even the shortest
              person has to duck; the atmosphere of holiness and the
              prayers of hundreds of years surround you. It's magic!

              helene

              http://mail.yahoo.com
            • June McKee
              Message 6 of 10 , Apr 10, 2008
                Andrea,

                I will see if my mom can get some good pictures of her Icons and I will post them. I didnt realize that there were several churches between Eugene and Portland I will have to check them out. I bet the Russian lady you speak of and my grandmother fled about the same time. The story that my grandmother had told my mother when she was young about them running to get away with the explosions and gun fire, crossing a river they seen many chinese dead going down the blood filled river and they were all tied together face down by their cues which are the long braids. It was horrifying for her and it just gave me the chills hearing that story. Very sad. I couldnt imaging living in those days and going thru that. How scared they must have been. I wish that I could have talked to my grandmother and been able to document her stories. She died when I was in my early 20's and I was not at that time thinking of doing my family research. I sure missed out on alot by not getting those stories because we were very close and I could have done it easily.

                Well keep sharing your stories and take care

                June