Re: Slovak wedding gift

  • jcotteret
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 7, 2008
      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Paul Guzowski" <guzowskip@...>
      wrote:

      > Greetings,
      >
      > Good point about the frequency of European current, Jacques. Some
      > electronics and appliances are frequency sensitive.

      >Hi group ,
      One more point about gifts offered to Europeans.If you intend to offer
      DVD's, make sure you are sending "Region Code 2" DVD's and not
      a "Region Code 1"one as sold in the US and Canada, otherwise they won't
      be able to play them on current DVD players sold in EU.Moreover a lot
      of European DVD players don't play the NSTC Standard, but the Pal/Secam
      one.
      Many apologies for this additional drawback.
      Jacques
    • bike_for_life2003
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 8, 2008
        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "jcotteret"
        <jacques.cotteret@...> wrote:

        > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Paul Guzowski" <guzowskip@>
        > wrote:
        > >
        > > Greetings,
        > >
        > > Good point about the frequency of European current, Jacques. Some
        > > electronics and appliances are frequency sensitive.
        >

        > >Hi group ,
        > One more point about gifts offered to Europeans.If you intend to offer
        > DVD's, make sure you are sending "Region Code 2" DVD's and not
        > a "Region Code 1"one as sold in the US and Canada, otherwise they won't
        > be able to play them on current DVD players sold in EU.Moreover a lot
        > of European DVD players don't play the NSTC Standard, but the Pal/Secam
        > one.
        > Many apologies for this additional drawback.
        > Jacques

        Another good point, Jacques. I would add, however, that there are
        region-free DVD players available in Europe and the US but one has to
        seek them out and they are more expensive. Chances are that the
        average person buying a DVD player at someplace like Tesco, Wal Mart,
        or the like got a machine limited to the region where it was
        purchased. That said, both the DVD player and VCR that I bought in
        Europe while recently there would play NTSC on a PAL TV. Still, this
        can be very confusing for someone who hasn't dealt with it before.

        Paul in NW Florida
      • Ron Matviyak
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 11, 2008
          A few items: I never had a problem changing from 50 hz to 60 hz or
          vice versa on anything from an American stove in Europe to many
          electonics, cameras and laptops.

          However, carefully check the inport duty! A few years ago there was a
          33% import duty on electronics, making such a give prohibitively
          expensive for the recipient. What import duties may be with the EU
          today I cannot say.

          Ron