Re: Slovak wedding gift

  • Paul Guzowski
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 6 8:15 AM
      Greetings,

      Good point about the frequency of European current, Jacques. Some
      electronics and appliances are frequency sensitive. Items with AC motors
      like electric motor (not digital) clocks and record turntables will run
      slow. One should also avoid running a 110v, 60hz microwave oven on 50hz
      even with a transformer. Other personal appliances like hair dryers may run
      slow and as a consequence overheat.

      Paul in NW Florida.

    • jcotteret
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 7 9:33 AM
        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Paul Guzowski" <guzowskip@...>
        wrote:

        > Greetings,
        >
        > Good point about the frequency of European current, Jacques. Some
        > electronics and appliances are frequency sensitive.

        >Hi group ,
        One more point about gifts offered to Europeans.If you intend to offer
        DVD's, make sure you are sending "Region Code 2" DVD's and not
        a "Region Code 1"one as sold in the US and Canada, otherwise they won't
        be able to play them on current DVD players sold in EU.Moreover a lot
        of European DVD players don't play the NSTC Standard, but the Pal/Secam
        one.
        Many apologies for this additional drawback.
        Jacques
      • bike_for_life2003
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 8 9:39 AM
          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "jcotteret"
          <jacques.cotteret@...> wrote:

          > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Paul Guzowski" <guzowskip@>
          > wrote:
          > >
          > > Greetings,
          > >
          > > Good point about the frequency of European current, Jacques. Some
          > > electronics and appliances are frequency sensitive.
          >

          > >Hi group ,
          > One more point about gifts offered to Europeans.If you intend to offer
          > DVD's, make sure you are sending "Region Code 2" DVD's and not
          > a "Region Code 1"one as sold in the US and Canada, otherwise they won't
          > be able to play them on current DVD players sold in EU.Moreover a lot
          > of European DVD players don't play the NSTC Standard, but the Pal/Secam
          > one.
          > Many apologies for this additional drawback.
          > Jacques

          Another good point, Jacques. I would add, however, that there are
          region-free DVD players available in Europe and the US but one has to
          seek them out and they are more expensive. Chances are that the
          average person buying a DVD player at someplace like Tesco, Wal Mart,
          or the like got a machine limited to the region where it was
          purchased. That said, both the DVD player and VCR that I bought in
          Europe while recently there would play NTSC on a PAL TV. Still, this
          can be very confusing for someone who hasn't dealt with it before.

          Paul in NW Florida
        • Ron Matviyak
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 11 4:27 PM
            A few items: I never had a problem changing from 50 hz to 60 hz or
            vice versa on anything from an American stove in Europe to many
            electonics, cameras and laptops.

            However, carefully check the inport duty! A few years ago there was a
            33% import duty on electronics, making such a give prohibitively
            expensive for the recipient. What import duties may be with the EU
            today I cannot say.

            Ron