Need Icon pictures!

  • Paw1776
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 5, 2008
      Our MN Rusin Association is exhibiting once again at the Festival of Nations the first weekend in May. This year's theme is Art and Architecture and we are featuring the architecture of the wooden churches. We have a "mini iconostas" with which we need to furnish five icons plus one for behind the "altar table." I am trying to find pictures of icons from the same church so that the iconography is the same style and preferably a more simple, folk style. The pictures must be sharp enough to be blown up so that they fit the iconostas. Obviously we will need one of Christ and one of the Theotokos and Christ Child. We will have two additional panels and would like to have Sts. Cyril and Methodius and St. Nicholas but I am not going to be choosy...I will take whatever I can find. Also we need the Last Supper and something appropriate to hang behind the altar, perhaps the Ascension.

      If you have taken photos inside one of the wooden churches and are willing to share these with us we would greatly appreciate it. I have scoured several books and unfortunately most of the pictures were either taken from a distance, at an angle or have a lampada hanging in front of them.

      Thank you!

      Polly Russinik Walker

    • Linda Uhiren
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 6, 2008
        Hello from Arkansas -
        I am new to the Slovak Roots Group and have not yet had time to introduce myself. I am researching the history of the 1894 settlement of our farming community, Slovak, Arkansas (formerly called Slovaktown).
        Your request for icons interests me because there was a Russian Orthodox Church here at that time, but little is known of it's history. I have been loaned a picture of the church exterior and an interior group photo.
        Behind the group, is an archway to the altar area with a door on either side. Across the wall area and above the doors are what I would call icons. On the wall above the altar crucifix is a single icon. There are 12 small icons in all. Through the open door to my left is a larger picture of Christ praying with the light of God shining on him. Most of the icons are not clear but are recognizable. This is a good clear picture otherwise. Some tapestries are shown also. The church and cemetery are known as St. Marys Russian Orthodox . That Church building burned and a second one was later built. When the congregation dwindled, the building was moved to Stuttgart and still stands as a Hall building for the Episcopalian Church.
        Another church of that time remains. It is Saints Cyril and Methodius Catholic Church and cemetery. A former resident has sent an icon type picture of Sts. Cyril and Methodius which is displayed there. This information may not be of any use to you but I hope some of the readers find it interesting . I would like to know where to find information to better inform me of this religion.

        If any of you have ties to the Slovak community here, I would love to hear from you.
        Thank you,
        Linda Uhiren

        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 7, 2008
          Linda:

          You can find information about the Orthodox religion and the Orthodox Church in America on the following website:

          http://www.oca.org/QAIndex.asp?SID=3

          Polly

        • vchromoho
          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 7, 2008
            Hello Linda,

            Thanks for the very interesting information from Slovaktown. I
            collect information about out-of-the-way Carpatho-Rusyn immigrant
            communities in the U.S. I have some sketchy information about an
            Orthodox church in Slovaktown (the only other Orthodox church
            anywhere nearby was in Hartshorne, Oklahoma, not exactly close at
            325 miles away!), but would love to obtain any photographs. I have
            an old article in Russian about an Orthodox bishop's visitation of
            both places circa 1910. The Hartshorne church was also founded by
            Carpatho-Rusyns, and still exists today.
            http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?
            articleID=070729_1_A13_iEdit05642

            Is it possible for you to scan these photographs and either post
            them in the files section here or email them to me?

            Thank you!
            Rich Custer

            --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Linda Uhiren"
            <lindauhiren@...> wrote:

            > Hello from Arkansas -
            > I am new to the Slovak Roots Group and have not yet had time to
            introduce myself. I am researching the history of the 1894
            settlement of our farming community, Slovak, Arkansas (formerly
            called Slovaktown).
            > Your request for icons interests me because there was a Russian
            Orthodox Church here at that time, but little is known of it's
            history. I have been loaned a picture of the church exterior and
            an interior group photo.
            > Behind the group, is an archway to the altar area with a door on
            either side. Across the wall area and above the doors are what I
            would call icons. On the wall above the altar crucifix is a single
            icon. There are 12 small icons in all. Through the open door to my
            left is a larger picture of Christ praying with the light of God
            shining on him. Most of the icons are not clear but are
            recognizable. This is a good clear picture otherwise. Some
            tapestries are shown also. The church and cemetery are known as
            St. Marys Russian Orthodox . That Church building burned and a
            second one was later built. When the congregation dwindled, the
            building was moved to Stuttgart and still stands as a Hall building
            for the Episcopalian Church.
            > Another church of that time remains. It is Saints Cyril and
            Methodius Catholic Church and cemetery. A former resident has sent
            an icon type picture of Sts. Cyril and Methodius which is displayed
            there. This information may not be of any use to you but I hope
            some of the readers find it interesting . I would like to know
            where to find information to better inform me of this religion.

            > If any of you have ties to the Slovak community here, I would love
            to hear from you.
            > Thank you,
            > Linda Uhiren

          • June McKee
            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 9, 2008
              I find this subject also interesting, my mother is Russian and was raised in the Orthodox church in San Francisco. Her mother fled from Russia with herr mother and a brother during the wars in 1904 or there abouts. There are some horrible stories my grandmother told of their journey to either China or Japan and then Hawiai and finally Oakland California. My mother had an uncle which was a Bishop in the Russian Orthadox church in Russia but searching information for that area is not possible so I cant find out much more. There is a Very small church here in Oregon which is about two hours away from me and the only one I have seen in this area. I stoped to go in when passing and there was nowone around but was able to get on their mailing list and recieve information from time to time from the Carpatho-Rusyn Research Center. My mother has three very old Icons which my grandmother brought with her from Russia when she left at the age of 5, I am still holding my breath to get one of them. My mom isnt ready to let them go yet. My father is my Slovak side.

              June

              <lindauhiren@...> wrote:

              > Hello from Arkansas -
              > I am new to the Slovak Roots Group and have not yet had time to
              introduce myself. I am researching the history of the 1894
              settlement of our farming community, Slovak, Arkansas (formerly
              called Slovaktown).
              > Your request for icons interests me because there was a Russian
              Orthodox Church here at that time, but little is known of it's
              history. I have been loaned a picture of the church exterior and
              an interior group photo.
              > Behind the group, is an archway to the altar area with a door on
              either side. Across the wall area and above the doors are what I
              would call icons. On the wall above the altar crucifix is a single
              icon. There are 12 small icons in all. Through the open door to my
              left is a larger picture of Christ praying with the light of God
              shining on him. Most of the icons are not clear but are
              recognizable. This is a good clear picture otherwise. Some
              tapestries are shown also. The church and cemetery are known as
              St. Marys Russian Orthodox . That Church building burned and a
              second one was later built. When the congregation dwindled, the
              building was moved to Stuttgart and still stands as a Hall building
              for the Episcopalian Church.
              > Another church of that time remains. It is Saints Cyril and
              Methodius Catholic Church and cemetery. A former resident has sent
              an icon type picture of Sts. Cyril and Methodius which is displayed
              there. This information may not be of any use to you but I hope
              some of the readers find it interesting . I would like to know
              where to find information to better inform me of this religion.

              > If any of you have ties to the Slovak community here, I would love
              to hear from you.
              > Thank you,
              > Linda Uhiren

            • Andrea Vangor
              Message 6 of 10 , Apr 9, 2008
                How fascinating, June. There are several Orthodox churches in Oregon, mostly between Eugene and Portland. I hope you can find one for a visit. It would be great if you could photograph your grandmother's icons and share them. I knew a Russian lady about thirty years ago, whose family had fled through Harbin, China. Perhaps that is the route your family took.

                <lindauhiren@...> wrote:

                > Hello from Arkansas -
                > I am new to the Slovak Roots Group and have not yet had time to
                introduce myself. I am researching the history of the 1894
                settlement of our farming community, Slovak, Arkansas (formerly
                called Slovaktown).
                > Your request for icons interests me because there was a Russian
                Orthodox Church here at that time, but little is known of it's
                history. I have been loaned a picture of the church exterior and
                an interior group photo.
                > Behind the group, is an archway to the altar area with a door on
                either side. Across the wall area and above the doors are what I
                would call icons. On the wall above the altar crucifix is a single
                icon. There are 12 small icons in all. Through the open door to my
                left is a larger picture of Christ praying with the light of God
                shining on him. Most of the icons are not clear but are
                recognizable. This is a good clear picture otherwise. Some
                tapestries are shown also. The church and cemetery are known as
                St. Marys Russian Orthodox . That Church building burned and a
                second one was later built. When the congregation dwindled, the
                building was moved to Stuttgart and still stands as a Hall building
                for the Episcopalian Church.
                > Another church of that time remains. It is Saints Cyril and
                Methodius Catholic Church and cemetery. A former resident has sent
                an icon type picture of Sts. Cyril and Methodius which is displayed
                there. This information may not be of any use to you but I hope
                some of the readers find it interesting . I would like to know
                where to find information to better inform me of this religion.

                > If any of you have ties to the Slovak community here, I would love
                to hear from you.
                > Thank you,
                > Linda Uhiren

              • Vladimir Linder
                Message 7 of 10 , Apr 9, 2008
                  I have detailed photographs of the ICONS of most Orthodox wooden
                  churches in SLOVAKIA
                  Contact me for details and pricing.
                  Vladi

                  Message 8 of 10 , Apr 9, 2008
                    I have many from several Eastern Slovakia wooden churches. They were taken
                    before digital cameras, so they would need to be scanned.

                    Also, regarding origins of icons. I have one book from the Saris region,
                    which suggests that most of these icons, at least in the east, were created
                    in a monastery, most likely Lvov (now in Ukraine.) but the actual
                    iconographer will never be known.

                    It is very, very haunting to travel around the region and see the same faces
                    and same styles. I always wondered how these churches in poor rural
                    villages acquired them. I suppose the church provided them?

                    Bill

                    Message 9 of 10 , Apr 9, 2008
                      hi Bill - i agree about the incredible icons in this
                      remote region - some 200 years old or more -I was told
                      these are very special as they are not so stylized as
                      the more formal city icons - but reflect the faces of
                      the village people.

                      I visited an icon museum in Sanok, Poland and found a
                      lot of similarities with the icons i saw in the remote
                      wooden churches in eastern Slovakia. As i understand
                      it there was a school of icon painters there.

                      My all time favorite is a very large icon that shows
                      devils tempting sleeping people and the ones they
                      caught are being marched to hell on a huge red Mamon's
                      tongue!

                      Don't miss the icon museum in Bardejov- it is totally
                      wonderful with the ancient icons, the carved gates and
                      the only iconostatsis inside a museum in the world!

                      Then head for the countryside to see some icons in
                      their original homes - you can't failed to be moved by
                      the tiny doorways - thinking of my favorite one that
                      has roses painted around it and even the shortest
                      person has to duck; the atmosphere of holiness and the
                      prayers of hundreds of years surround you. It's magic!

                      helene

                      http://mail.yahoo.com
                    • June McKee
                      Message 10 of 10 , Apr 10, 2008
                        Andrea,

                        I will see if my mom can get some good pictures of her Icons and I will post them. I didnt realize that there were several churches between Eugene and Portland I will have to check them out. I bet the Russian lady you speak of and my grandmother fled about the same time. The story that my grandmother had told my mother when she was young about them running to get away with the explosions and gun fire, crossing a river they seen many chinese dead going down the blood filled river and they were all tied together face down by their cues which are the long braids. It was horrifying for her and it just gave me the chills hearing that story. Very sad. I couldnt imaging living in those days and going thru that. How scared they must have been. I wish that I could have talked to my grandmother and been able to document her stories. She died when I was in my early 20's and I was not at that time thinking of doing my family research. I sure missed out on alot by not getting those stories because we were very close and I could have done it easily.

                        Well keep sharing your stories and take care

                        June