Re: [S-R] Slovak Wedding Gift

  • Michael Mojher
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 4, 2008
      Maryiln,
      There have been suggestions for gifts; digital camera and photo frame.
      How much do you know about what the cousin owns will determine if the camera is good idea. Does the cousin own a computer? If not, how large a city does the cousin live in? Getting the digital pictures printed in a small town or village could be very difficult.
      I was at a wedding reception for my nephew and new Slovak niece. The gifts were very much as you would expect in America. Since they were returning to America money gifts were given. Much easier to pack back home.
      A secure way to send money is through Western Union. You can choose the dollar amount and they will convert it to Slovak Koruna. Many banks in Slovakia are a Western Union agent. The only thing to be aware of is that Western Union does have a set number of days that the money must be picked up. I can't remember the exact number, it is reasonable. So you can send a card telling them there is a money gift at Western Union. You will have to find the nearest agent to your cousin to send it to. Although any Western Union agent can honor the transfer.
      Michael

      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 4, 2008
        Thank you Michael, for your kind suggestions and sharing your experience. I
        am leaning towards a gift of money at this time and will look into Western
        Union offices.

        Marilyn

        _____

        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 5, 2008
          Not sure if this is still true, but when I lived in Turkey back in the 70's we had to get special transformers to ether step-down or step-up the current in order to use American made electronic devices. Seemed that Turkey and I think most of Europe ran at a different voltage than the US does. Also, the wall receptacles were round/ I still have a box of converter plugs used to convert American plugs to European style.

          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 5, 2008
            Greetings Marilyn, Caye, Michael, Gordon, et al....

            Based on my experiences living in Bratislava from 2005-2007 and attending a
            couple of weddings in Slovakia, I offer the following:

            Slovakia uses 220-240 volt electricity and plugs are the same as France, two
            holes for the current and a pin sticking out for the ground. This is a
            different system from most of the rest of continental Europe which is based
            on the German system. There are some plugs available now which can be used
            in both French and German receptacles but I only saw them on small
            appliances and occasionally a power strip. A simple two-pin plug adapter
            will work in either system if you don't need grounding of the electrical
            appliance.

            BEWARE, however, that such an adapter DOES NOT convert the voltage and
            plugging a 110-120 volt US appliance into a 220-240 volt outlet with one of
            these plug adapters will instantly fry the appliance and could be a fire
            hazard. Most small electronic these days (computers, cell phones, digital
            cameras, televisions, DVD players, etc) can accept 110 or 220 volts and many
            are even self-switching. That said, I had two different colleagues who
            bought digital cameras in the US without checking and it turned out the
            batter y chargers were 110 volts only.

            As for gifts at Slovak weddings, my experience was that only family and
            close friends that were invited to the reception dinner gave gifts. I went
            to one wedding where there was a table in the back of the church and a few
            people who were not invited to the reception dinner left gifts there.

            Digital cameras and frames, etc, are readily available in Slovakia, even in
            relatively small towns. I had a colleague living in a small town called
            Krupina in Banska Bystrica county. The town has just under 4000 people but
            had a medium-sized Tesco store with an electronics section and I wouldn't be
            surprised if they had a photo section, too. Yes, you can probably get
            electronics items a bit cheaper in the US but if you mail it over the
            recipient may have to pay customs duty which might not be very attractive.

            Money, would probably be appreciated, too, although it doesn't have as much
            enduring memorial value as a physical wedding gift does. Yes, Western Union
            does work for sending money abroad but beware it is very expensive. I think
            the service charge is about 10% of the amount you are sending. Depending on
            how much you want to send it may be cheaper to do it via international wire
            transfer to the recipient's bank account. My bank charged me a flat rate of
            $25 to do that when I paid my Bratislava rent every month out of my US bank
            account. Another option might be to send a Visa gift card or a Visa travel
            card preloaded with the amount of money you wish to give as a gift. This
            could be sent directly to the recipient with all the safety features Visa
            has in place for mailing cards.

            Given all of the above, we always looked for some uniquely American gift
            that would remind the newlyweds of us. Since we were living in south
            central Pennsylvania at the time, there were a lot of American country
            handicrafts available. A quilt would be something unique and we considered
            those but they were a bit bulky and heavy to mail so we settled on covered
            photo albums. These are relatively small/light to mail or carry, don't have
            a high value for customs purposes, and can be put to use immediately by any
            newlywed couple. We gave several of these and they always seemed to be very
            well received because it was something I never saw in any shop in Europe.
            One tip, however, is to be sure to populate the album with the photo holding
            filler pages because they won't be available over there and even if they
            were the European page size and hole pattern is different. Other unique
            handicraft items like embroidered kitchen towels or pot holders would work,
            too.

            Just my two cents' worth but hope these thoughts are helpful.

            Paul in NW Florida

          • jcotteret
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 5, 2008
              --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Paul Guzowski" <guzowskip@...>
              wrote:

              > Greetings Marilyn, Caye, Michael, Gordon, et al....
              >
              > Based on my experiences living in Bratislava from 2005-2007 and
              attending a
              > couple of weddings in Slovakia, I offer the following:
              >
              > Slovakia uses 220-240 volt electricity and plugs are the same as
              France, two
              > holes for the current and a pin sticking out for the ground. This is

              Hello Group !
              In addition to that, if I do remember well, the frequency in the US is
              (or at least, was) 60 Hz (periods per second) instead of 50 Hz we have
              in Europe. That could lead to disfunctions in some appliances,
              particularly when transformers are involved.

              Jacques