RE: [S-R] Slovak Wedding Gift

  • Armata, Joseph R
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 4 11:36 AM
      Great ideas, but I'd warn against a digital photo frame. They've been linked to viruses and nasty Trojans that steal passwords and infest your computer. Put "digital photo frames viruses" into Google and see the results.

      Joe

    • Michael Mojher
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 4 7:10 PM
        Maryiln,
        There have been suggestions for gifts; digital camera and photo frame.
        How much do you know about what the cousin owns will determine if the camera is good idea. Does the cousin own a computer? If not, how large a city does the cousin live in? Getting the digital pictures printed in a small town or village could be very difficult.
        I was at a wedding reception for my nephew and new Slovak niece. The gifts were very much as you would expect in America. Since they were returning to America money gifts were given. Much easier to pack back home.
        A secure way to send money is through Western Union. You can choose the dollar amount and they will convert it to Slovak Koruna. Many banks in Slovakia are a Western Union agent. The only thing to be aware of is that Western Union does have a set number of days that the money must be picked up. I can't remember the exact number, it is reasonable. So you can send a card telling them there is a money gift at Western Union. You will have to find the nearest agent to your cousin to send it to. Although any Western Union agent can honor the transfer.
        Michael

        Through my genealogical research, I found a cousin in Slovakia a couple
        of years ago. He just informed me he is getting married. What is an
        appropriate gift for the Slovak couple? Are gifts like American
        wedding gifts ok? Is money appropriate? What form of money should be
        sent? What is a safe way to send it, in a card to their address? Any
        ideas will be appreciated. In addition to the gift, I might send a
        decorative copy of the family tree showing how we are "cousins".

        Marilyn

      • Marilyn Hertenstein
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 4 8:12 PM
          Thank you Michael, for your kind suggestions and sharing your experience. I
          am leaning towards a gift of money at this time and will look into Western
          Union offices.

          Marilyn

          _____

          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 5 2:43 AM
            Not sure if this is still true, but when I lived in Turkey back in the 70's we had to get special transformers to ether step-down or step-up the current in order to use American made electronic devices. Seemed that Turkey and I think most of Europe ran at a different voltage than the US does. Also, the wall receptacles were round/ I still have a box of converter plugs used to convert American plugs to European style.

            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 5 8:38 AM
              Greetings Marilyn, Caye, Michael, Gordon, et al....

              Based on my experiences living in Bratislava from 2005-2007 and attending a
              couple of weddings in Slovakia, I offer the following:

              Slovakia uses 220-240 volt electricity and plugs are the same as France, two
              holes for the current and a pin sticking out for the ground. This is a
              different system from most of the rest of continental Europe which is based
              on the German system. There are some plugs available now which can be used
              in both French and German receptacles but I only saw them on small
              appliances and occasionally a power strip. A simple two-pin plug adapter
              will work in either system if you don't need grounding of the electrical
              appliance.

              BEWARE, however, that such an adapter DOES NOT convert the voltage and
              plugging a 110-120 volt US appliance into a 220-240 volt outlet with one of
              these plug adapters will instantly fry the appliance and could be a fire
              hazard. Most small electronic these days (computers, cell phones, digital
              cameras, televisions, DVD players, etc) can accept 110 or 220 volts and many
              are even self-switching. That said, I had two different colleagues who
              bought digital cameras in the US without checking and it turned out the
              batter y chargers were 110 volts only.

              As for gifts at Slovak weddings, my experience was that only family and
              close friends that were invited to the reception dinner gave gifts. I went
              to one wedding where there was a table in the back of the church and a few
              people who were not invited to the reception dinner left gifts there.

              Digital cameras and frames, etc, are readily available in Slovakia, even in
              relatively small towns. I had a colleague living in a small town called
              Krupina in Banska Bystrica county. The town has just under 4000 people but
              had a medium-sized Tesco store with an electronics section and I wouldn't be
              surprised if they had a photo section, too. Yes, you can probably get
              electronics items a bit cheaper in the US but if you mail it over the
              recipient may have to pay customs duty which might not be very attractive.

              Money, would probably be appreciated, too, although it doesn't have as much
              enduring memorial value as a physical wedding gift does. Yes, Western Union
              does work for sending money abroad but beware it is very expensive. I think
              the service charge is about 10% of the amount you are sending. Depending on
              how much you want to send it may be cheaper to do it via international wire
              transfer to the recipient's bank account. My bank charged me a flat rate of
              $25 to do that when I paid my Bratislava rent every month out of my US bank
              account. Another option might be to send a Visa gift card or a Visa travel
              card preloaded with the amount of money you wish to give as a gift. This
              could be sent directly to the recipient with all the safety features Visa
              has in place for mailing cards.

              Given all of the above, we always looked for some uniquely American gift
              that would remind the newlyweds of us. Since we were living in south
              central Pennsylvania at the time, there were a lot of American country
              handicrafts available. A quilt would be something unique and we considered
              those but they were a bit bulky and heavy to mail so we settled on covered
              photo albums. These are relatively small/light to mail or carry, don't have
              a high value for customs purposes, and can be put to use immediately by any
              newlywed couple. We gave several of these and they always seemed to be very
              well received because it was something I never saw in any shop in Europe.
              One tip, however, is to be sure to populate the album with the photo holding
              filler pages because they won't be available over there and even if they
              were the European page size and hole pattern is different. Other unique
              handicraft items like embroidered kitchen towels or pot holders would work,
              too.

              Just my two cents' worth but hope these thoughts are helpful.

              Paul in NW Florida

            • jcotteret
              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 5 10:09 AM
                --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Paul Guzowski" <guzowskip@...>
                wrote:

                > Greetings Marilyn, Caye, Michael, Gordon, et al....
                >
                > Based on my experiences living in Bratislava from 2005-2007 and
                attending a
                > couple of weddings in Slovakia, I offer the following:
                >
                > Slovakia uses 220-240 volt electricity and plugs are the same as
                France, two
                > holes for the current and a pin sticking out for the ground. This is

                Hello Group !
                In addition to that, if I do remember well, the frequency in the US is
                (or at least, was) 60 Hz (periods per second) instead of 50 Hz we have
                in Europe. That could lead to disfunctions in some appliances,
                particularly when transformers are involved.

                Jacques