Slovak Wedding Gift

  • Marilyn
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 4, 2008
      Through my genealogical research, I found a cousin in Slovakia a couple
      of years ago. He just informed me he is getting married. What is an
      appropriate gift for the Slovak couple? Are gifts like American
      wedding gifts ok? Is money appropriate? What form of money should be
      sent? What is a safe way to send it, in a card to their address? Any
      ideas will be appreciated. In addition to the gift, I might send a
      decorative copy of the family tree showing how we are "cousins".

      Marilyn
    • Caye Caswick
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 4, 2008
        Money would be put to best use -- the genealogy would be a nice accompanyment to money.

        If you decide against money, small electronics would be nice as well, digital cameras or maybe a nice digital photo frame so they could display their wedding photos and family photos as their family grows.

        Caye

        Marilyn <mjhertenstein@...> wrote:
        Through my genealogical research, I found a cousin in Slovakia a couple
        of years ago. He just informed me he is getting married. What is an
        appropriate gift for the Slovak couple? Are gifts like American
        wedding gifts ok? Is money appropriate? What form of money should be
        sent? What is a safe way to send it, in a card to their address? Any
        ideas will be appreciated. In addition to the gift, I might send a
        decorative copy of the family tree showing how we are "cousins".

        Marilyn

      • Armata, Joseph R
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 4, 2008
          Great ideas, but I'd warn against a digital photo frame. They've been linked to viruses and nasty Trojans that steal passwords and infest your computer. Put "digital photo frames viruses" into Google and see the results.

          Joe

        • Michael Mojher
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 4, 2008
            Maryiln,
            There have been suggestions for gifts; digital camera and photo frame.
            How much do you know about what the cousin owns will determine if the camera is good idea. Does the cousin own a computer? If not, how large a city does the cousin live in? Getting the digital pictures printed in a small town or village could be very difficult.
            I was at a wedding reception for my nephew and new Slovak niece. The gifts were very much as you would expect in America. Since they were returning to America money gifts were given. Much easier to pack back home.
            A secure way to send money is through Western Union. You can choose the dollar amount and they will convert it to Slovak Koruna. Many banks in Slovakia are a Western Union agent. The only thing to be aware of is that Western Union does have a set number of days that the money must be picked up. I can't remember the exact number, it is reasonable. So you can send a card telling them there is a money gift at Western Union. You will have to find the nearest agent to your cousin to send it to. Although any Western Union agent can honor the transfer.
            Michael

            Through my genealogical research, I found a cousin in Slovakia a couple
            of years ago. He just informed me he is getting married. What is an
            appropriate gift for the Slovak couple? Are gifts like American
            wedding gifts ok? Is money appropriate? What form of money should be
            sent? What is a safe way to send it, in a card to their address? Any
            ideas will be appreciated. In addition to the gift, I might send a
            decorative copy of the family tree showing how we are "cousins".

            Marilyn

          • Marilyn Hertenstein
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 4, 2008
              Thank you Michael, for your kind suggestions and sharing your experience. I
              am leaning towards a gift of money at this time and will look into Western
              Union offices.

              Marilyn

              _____

              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 5, 2008
                Not sure if this is still true, but when I lived in Turkey back in the 70's we had to get special transformers to ether step-down or step-up the current in order to use American made electronic devices. Seemed that Turkey and I think most of Europe ran at a different voltage than the US does. Also, the wall receptacles were round/ I still have a box of converter plugs used to convert American plugs to European style.

                Message 7 of 8 , Apr 5, 2008
                  Greetings Marilyn, Caye, Michael, Gordon, et al....

                  Based on my experiences living in Bratislava from 2005-2007 and attending a
                  couple of weddings in Slovakia, I offer the following:

                  Slovakia uses 220-240 volt electricity and plugs are the same as France, two
                  holes for the current and a pin sticking out for the ground. This is a
                  different system from most of the rest of continental Europe which is based
                  on the German system. There are some plugs available now which can be used
                  in both French and German receptacles but I only saw them on small
                  appliances and occasionally a power strip. A simple two-pin plug adapter
                  will work in either system if you don't need grounding of the electrical
                  appliance.

                  BEWARE, however, that such an adapter DOES NOT convert the voltage and
                  plugging a 110-120 volt US appliance into a 220-240 volt outlet with one of
                  these plug adapters will instantly fry the appliance and could be a fire
                  hazard. Most small electronic these days (computers, cell phones, digital
                  cameras, televisions, DVD players, etc) can accept 110 or 220 volts and many
                  are even self-switching. That said, I had two different colleagues who
                  bought digital cameras in the US without checking and it turned out the
                  batter y chargers were 110 volts only.

                  As for gifts at Slovak weddings, my experience was that only family and
                  close friends that were invited to the reception dinner gave gifts. I went
                  to one wedding where there was a table in the back of the church and a few
                  people who were not invited to the reception dinner left gifts there.

                  Digital cameras and frames, etc, are readily available in Slovakia, even in
                  relatively small towns. I had a colleague living in a small town called
                  Krupina in Banska Bystrica county. The town has just under 4000 people but
                  had a medium-sized Tesco store with an electronics section and I wouldn't be
                  surprised if they had a photo section, too. Yes, you can probably get
                  electronics items a bit cheaper in the US but if you mail it over the
                  recipient may have to pay customs duty which might not be very attractive.

                  Money, would probably be appreciated, too, although it doesn't have as much
                  enduring memorial value as a physical wedding gift does. Yes, Western Union
                  does work for sending money abroad but beware it is very expensive. I think
                  the service charge is about 10% of the amount you are sending. Depending on
                  how much you want to send it may be cheaper to do it via international wire
                  transfer to the recipient's bank account. My bank charged me a flat rate of
                  $25 to do that when I paid my Bratislava rent every month out of my US bank
                  account. Another option might be to send a Visa gift card or a Visa travel
                  card preloaded with the amount of money you wish to give as a gift. This
                  could be sent directly to the recipient with all the safety features Visa
                  has in place for mailing cards.

                  Given all of the above, we always looked for some uniquely American gift
                  that would remind the newlyweds of us. Since we were living in south
                  central Pennsylvania at the time, there were a lot of American country
                  handicrafts available. A quilt would be something unique and we considered
                  those but they were a bit bulky and heavy to mail so we settled on covered
                  photo albums. These are relatively small/light to mail or carry, don't have
                  a high value for customs purposes, and can be put to use immediately by any
                  newlywed couple. We gave several of these and they always seemed to be very
                  well received because it was something I never saw in any shop in Europe.
                  One tip, however, is to be sure to populate the album with the photo holding
                  filler pages because they won't be available over there and even if they
                  were the European page size and hole pattern is different. Other unique
                  handicraft items like embroidered kitchen towels or pot holders would work,
                  too.

                  Just my two cents' worth but hope these thoughts are helpful.

                  Paul in NW Florida

                • jcotteret
                  Message 8 of 8 , Apr 5, 2008
                    --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Paul Guzowski" <guzowskip@...>
                    wrote:

                    > Greetings Marilyn, Caye, Michael, Gordon, et al....
                    >
                    > Based on my experiences living in Bratislava from 2005-2007 and
                    attending a
                    > couple of weddings in Slovakia, I offer the following:
                    >
                    > Slovakia uses 220-240 volt electricity and plugs are the same as
                    France, two
                    > holes for the current and a pin sticking out for the ground. This is

                    Hello Group !
                    In addition to that, if I do remember well, the frequency in the US is
                    (or at least, was) 60 Hz (periods per second) instead of 50 Hz we have
                    in Europe. That could lead to disfunctions in some appliances,
                    particularly when transformers are involved.

                    Jacques