Re: [S-R] alias meaning

  • lkocik@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 30, 2008
      David
      Would you email at lkocik@.... My surname is Kocik, and as a child I remember the old world Slovaks in my Grandmothers Neighborhood referring to my name as Kotsik [cut-sick].
      I don't know if this is going to be posted or if it will go directly to you....I don't want to start a correspondance on the SR forum on a personnel issue.
      Thank you
      Larry Kocik

      From: david1law@...
      Hi Carolyn:

      An alias is typically used to distinguish between various branches of the
      same family clan, or in other instances, between different family clans that
      possess the same surname. In my own research, I have found an alias used in
      several instances that traced back to a mother's maiden name or a grandmother's
      maiden name. For example, in my BALOGA (BALOG) clan in the SARIS highlands,
      I found the alias KOCIK (KOTSIK) often used in regard to various members of
      my BALOGA (BALOG) clan, and this ultimately traced back to a marriage in the
      early 19th century between an ANDRAS BALOGA and a SUSANNA KOTSIK. I would
      simply suggest that you continue to search through the church records to see if
      you can find any other instances of your KUBA alias VERBICKOS, as further
      research may possibly reveal the origin of the alias surname in your family
      history. I would also be cautious about making any assumptions, as I have
      found, though the school of hard knocks, that assumptions can sometimes lead one
      astray on the proverbial wild goose chase. By the way, KUBA is a diminutive
      form of the name JAKUB (JACOB) in various Slavic languages (such as Polish and
      Czech and presumably Slovak as well). My mother's maiden name is KUBIT, a
      Polish diminutive form derived from the name JAKUB (JACOB). I hope this helps
      a little.

      Best regards,

      David Baloga

      Researching: BALOGA (BALOG, BALOGH), BELAK, CUJ (CSUJ) HAMRAK, HARBALY,
      HARENCAR, HRONEC, HVIZDOS, JURASKO, KAFFAN, KISSEL, KOVALCIK, KREDATUS, ONDERCIN,
      RUSBACKY, TKACS, TOMASOV (and variant spellings thereof) in SARIS County
      (villages of VITAZ, OVCIE, DOLINA, and SIROKE), in SPIS (villages of SPISSKE
      VLACHY, KLUKNAVA, RICHNAVA, KALAVA, VITAZ, OVCIE, DOMANOVCE, SPISSKE HRHOV,
      STARY SMOKOVEC (MLYNICA), and in GEMER County (village of ROZNAVA, BRZOTIN, and
      surrounding area)

      Home.

    • nilo3rak
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 31, 2008
        Hi,
        Hmm - more to think about I shall look into the Verbicz, Lipto
        connection.

        Tell me more about the 1715 census and how to access it.
        Carolyn

        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Janet Kozlay" <kozlay@...> wrote:

        > The Verbitskos name is probably from the place name Verbicz in old Liptó
        > county. Your Kuba family might then be distinguished as the "Kuba family
        > that came from Verbicz." Other variants show up in the 1715 Census
        > Verbiczki, Verbiczky, and Verbicsaszka. Aliases were not all that
        unusual
        > and could be derived in a number of ways, including, as David
        pointed out,
        > from the name of a related family.
        >

        > Janet

      • Janet Kozlay
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 31, 2008
          Hi,

          I was not really suggesting that as a particularly useful line of research.
          I wrote it primarily because I thought you would be interested in a possible
          origin of the name. Verbicz is Vrbica SK, now a part of the town of
          Liptovsky Mikulas.

          I found the names at www.arcanum.hu/mol, in villages in western Slovakia.
          Other than curiosity, the 1715 census doesn’t really give you very useful
          information. You can see the original pages of the census by clicking on the
          red numbers.

          See Bill Tarkulich’s explanation of the different censuses at www.iabsi.com.

          Janet

          _____