Re: [S-R] alias meaning

  • lkocik@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 30 9:04 PM
      David
      Would you email at lkocik@.... My surname is Kocik, and as a child I remember the old world Slovaks in my Grandmothers Neighborhood referring to my name as Kotsik [cut-sick].
      I don't know if this is going to be posted or if it will go directly to you....I don't want to start a correspondance on the SR forum on a personnel issue.
      Thank you
      Larry Kocik

      From: david1law@...
      Hi Carolyn:

      An alias is typically used to distinguish between various branches of the
      same family clan, or in other instances, between different family clans that
      possess the same surname. In my own research, I have found an alias used in
      several instances that traced back to a mother's maiden name or a grandmother's
      maiden name. For example, in my BALOGA (BALOG) clan in the SARIS highlands,
      I found the alias KOCIK (KOTSIK) often used in regard to various members of
      my BALOGA (BALOG) clan, and this ultimately traced back to a marriage in the
      early 19th century between an ANDRAS BALOGA and a SUSANNA KOTSIK. I would
      simply suggest that you continue to search through the church records to see if
      you can find any other instances of your KUBA alias VERBICKOS, as further
      research may possibly reveal the origin of the alias surname in your family
      history. I would also be cautious about making any assumptions, as I have
      found, though the school of hard knocks, that assumptions can sometimes lead one
      astray on the proverbial wild goose chase. By the way, KUBA is a diminutive
      form of the name JAKUB (JACOB) in various Slavic languages (such as Polish and
      Czech and presumably Slovak as well). My mother's maiden name is KUBIT, a
      Polish diminutive form derived from the name JAKUB (JACOB). I hope this helps
      a little.

      Best regards,

      David Baloga

      Researching: BALOGA (BALOG, BALOGH), BELAK, CUJ (CSUJ) HAMRAK, HARBALY,
      HARENCAR, HRONEC, HVIZDOS, JURASKO, KAFFAN, KISSEL, KOVALCIK, KREDATUS, ONDERCIN,
      RUSBACKY, TKACS, TOMASOV (and variant spellings thereof) in SARIS County
      (villages of VITAZ, OVCIE, DOLINA, and SIROKE), in SPIS (villages of SPISSKE
      VLACHY, KLUKNAVA, RICHNAVA, KALAVA, VITAZ, OVCIE, DOMANOVCE, SPISSKE HRHOV,
      STARY SMOKOVEC (MLYNICA), and in GEMER County (village of ROZNAVA, BRZOTIN, and
      surrounding area)

      Home.

    • nilo3rak
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 31 6:32 AM
        Hi David,

        My Kuba alias Verbitskos research is leading me along the Torysa River
        from Sabinov to Velky Saris. I have viewed many church/census records
        and have more to look at. Most of them reside in Szent Mihaly. The
        earliest one to date is Joannes Kuba alias Verbitskos, b.about 1820,
        who married Anna Sedlak (g-grandparents).

        Kuba-Jakub names are ubiquitous in this area. So far I only have only
        found Verbitskos in ships' manifests, and all seem to be from Velky
        Saris. Have you seen this name in any of your searches?

        Yes, I know about the Jakub name variants. In 1870 in Szent Mihaly,
        Johannes Revitszky and Anna Kuba alias Verbitskos became, in 1884 in
        NagyBreszecznice, Janos Reviczki and Anna Jakub.

        I have seen the name Balog in Saros and Zemplen Counties, as well as
        a Cleveland marriage record. Seems it is another ubiquitous name.

        Thanks for your insights.
        Regards,
        Carolyn

        Researching: FEDOR, KUBA, SEDLAK,in OSZTROPATAKA, SALGO, MEGYE, TOT
        SOOVAR, SALGO, RAZANY,SZENT MIHALY and environs.

        VERBITSKOS in NAGY SAROS.

        REVITSZKY-REVICZKI-REVICKY from SZENT MIHALY in SAROS to ALSOOLSAVA IN
        ZEMPLEN. (The men were blacksmiths and moved a lot.)

        GRANAT, OKARMUS, FLOREK, JENDRASSAK,in PEKELNIK,ORAVA COUNTY environs.

        HURNI-HURNYI-HORNYI in NAGYBRESZECZNICE, TURIANY, VINNE, ALL IN ZEMPLEN.

        PETROVITS in NAGYBRESZECZNICE environs.

        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, david1law@... wrote:

        > Hi Carolyn:
        >
        > An alias is typically used to distinguish between various branches
        of the
        > same family clan, or in other instances, between different family
        clans that
        > possess the same surname. In my own research, I have found an
        alias used in
        > several instances that traced back to a mother's maiden name or a
        grandmother's
        > maiden name. For example, in my BALOGA (BALOG) clan in the SARIS
        highlands,
        > I found the alias KOCIK (KOTSIK) often used in regard to various
        members of
        > my BALOGA (BALOG) clan, and this ultimately traced back to a
        marriage in the
        > early 19th century between an ANDRAS BALOGA and a SUSANNA KOTSIK.
        I would
        > simply suggest that you continue to search through the church
        records to see if
        > you can find any other instances of your KUBA alias VERBICKOS, as
        further
        > research may possibly reveal the origin of the alias surname in
        your family
        > history. I would also be cautious about making any assumptions, as
        I have
        > found, though the school of hard knocks, that assumptions can
        sometimes lead one
        > astray on the proverbial wild goose chase. By the way, KUBA is a
        diminutive
        > form of the name JAKUB (JACOB) in various Slavic languages (such as
        Polish and
        > Czech and presumably Slovak as well). My mother's maiden name is
        KUBIT, a
        > Polish diminutive form derived from the name JAKUB (JACOB). I hope
        this helps
        > a little.
        >
        > Best regards,
        >

        > David Baloga
        >
        > Researching: BALOGA (BALOG, BALOGH), BELAK, CUJ (CSUJ) HAMRAK,
        HARBALY,
        > HARENCAR, HRONEC, HVIZDOS, JURASKO, KAFFAN, KISSEL, KOVALCIK,
        KREDATUS, ONDERCIN,
        > RUSBACKY, TKACS, TOMASOV (and variant spellings thereof) in SARIS
        County
        > (villages of VITAZ, OVCIE, DOLINA, and SIROKE), in SPIS (villages of
        SPISSKE
        > VLACHY, KLUKNAVA, RICHNAVA, KALAVA, VITAZ, OVCIE, DOMANOVCE, SPISSKE
        HRHOV,
        > STARY SMOKOVEC (MLYNICA), and in GEMER County (village of ROZNAVA,
        BRZOTIN, and
        > surrounding area)
        >

        > **************Create a Home Theater Like the Pros. Watch the video
        on AOL
        > Home.

      • Janet Kozlay
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 31 7:38 AM
          The Verbitskos name is probably from the place name Verbicz in old Liptó
          county. Your Kuba family might then be distinguished as the “Kuba family
          that came from Verbicz.” Other variants show up in the 1715 Census as
          Verbiczki, Verbiczky, and Verbicsaszka. Aliases were not all that unusual
          and could be derived in a number of ways, including, as David pointed out,
          from the name of a related family.

          Janet

        • nilo3rak
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 31 8:37 AM
            Hi,
            Hmm - more to think about I shall look into the Verbicz, Lipto
            connection.

            Tell me more about the 1715 census and how to access it.
            Carolyn

            --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Janet Kozlay" <kozlay@...> wrote:

            > The Verbitskos name is probably from the place name Verbicz in old Liptó
            > county. Your Kuba family might then be distinguished as the "Kuba family
            > that came from Verbicz." Other variants show up in the 1715 Census
            > Verbiczki, Verbiczky, and Verbicsaszka. Aliases were not all that
            unusual
            > and could be derived in a number of ways, including, as David
            pointed out,
            > from the name of a related family.
            >

            > Janet

          • Janet Kozlay
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 31 11:03 AM
              Hi,

              I was not really suggesting that as a particularly useful line of research.
              I wrote it primarily because I thought you would be interested in a possible
              origin of the name. Verbicz is Vrbica SK, now a part of the town of
              Liptovsky Mikulas.

              I found the names at www.arcanum.hu/mol, in villages in western Slovakia.
              Other than curiosity, the 1715 census doesn’t really give you very useful
              information. You can see the original pages of the census by clicking on the
              red numbers.

              See Bill Tarkulich’s explanation of the different censuses at www.iabsi.com.

              Janet

              _____