RE: [S-R] Help!- can you read this writing

  • Marilyn Hertenstein
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 30, 2008
      Vicky,
      How do you know she was baptized in 1903? When my Slovak (formerly in
      Hungary) grandmother got married, she stated one age, but in tracing her
      back to the birth records, she was off by two years. I would suggest you go
      back 2 years, and forward 2 years. Exact age didn't mean as much to some of
      our ancestors and it does to us today. Do you know for certain she was
      baptized in the GC Church? She may have grew up Greek Catholic, but
      circumstances may have prevailed and perhaps she was baptized in the RC
      church. Good luck,

      Marilyn

      _____

      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 30, 2008
        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Vicky" <hcross888@...> wrote:

        > Hi,
        > I have hit a brick wall in my research. My grandmother was from
        > Cukolovce in Hungary (now Slovakia) when she immigrated to the US.
        > Supposedly she was baptized in the Greek Catholic church in February
        > of 1903. Her name was Eva Cerny. I have copied all the baptism
        > records of 1903, and I can't see that any of them are her. If anyone
        > is willing to take a look at double check, I would really appreciate
        > it. I have posted the photos of the LDS records on Webshots. Here is
        > the link:
        > http://good-times.webshots.com/album/562945408bbJpjF
        > If anyone sees Eva Cherny, please let me know!
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Vicky

        Vicky, this is pretty confusing -- I looked at the images and I see RC
        records from Kolacskov, and GC records from Davidvagas (now Davidov),
        Zemplen county, now district of Vranov nad Toplou. I see that LDS film
        #1792027 includes Cukalovce and Davidov... which of your images have
        the Csukahaza (Cukalovce) records?

        Are you sure that your grandmother was actually from Cukalovce
        (Csukahaza), in Zemplen county, today Humenne district? Cukalovce
        was/is a village almost entirely inhabited by Rusyns, and the Rusyn
        language would not have a surname "Cherny" (Cserny, C~erny) -- it would
        have to be C~ornyj (in Hungarian orthography, Csornyi or Csornyj).

        Rich
      • Vicky
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 31, 2008
          Rich,
          The RC records are from Kolockov and the Greek Catholic records are
          from Cuklovce. I have the marriage certificate from my grandparents
          where my grandmother Eva Cerny (Zamiska) stated that she was baptized
          in Cukalovce, Zemplin February 20, 1903. I know that this family was
          Greek Catholic because my grandmother would not attend church with my
          RC grandfather and she wanted to raise the children Greek Catholic.
          Vicky
        • Vicky
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 31, 2008
            Marilyn,

            I got the baptism date from the marriage certificate. The problem is
            that the person who documented births had writing that is very
            difficult to read. I can't make out any names that look familiar! It
            was frustrating because some of the writing is so beautiful and easy
            to read, but I don't even know what language was being written; I
            assume it is Hungarian.

            You are right that perhaps she wasn't baptized there, but she did
            declare this.

            Vicky