alias meaning

  • nilo3rak
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 30, 2008
      I have found my great grandmother and three of her siblings in church
      records in villages near Presov. In each case their surnames were
      written as Kuba alias Verbickos. Would it be right to assume that
      these children were adopted by Kuba?

      Would this occur in the case of a second marriage for the mother?
      Would this occur if the children were orphans and adopted by another
      family member?

      If anyone has any other explanation, please tell me.
      Thanks,
      Carolyn
    • david1law@aol.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 30, 2008
        Hi Carolyn:

        An alias is typically used to distinguish between various branches of the
        same family clan, or in other instances, between different family clans that
        possess the same surname. In my own research, I have found an alias used in
        several instances that traced back to a mother's maiden name or a grandmother's
        maiden name. For example, in my BALOGA (BALOG) clan in the SARIS highlands,
        I found the alias KOCIK (KOTSIK) often used in regard to various members of
        my BALOGA (BALOG) clan, and this ultimately traced back to a marriage in the
        early 19th century between an ANDRAS BALOGA and a SUSANNA KOTSIK. I would
        simply suggest that you continue to search through the church records to see if
        you can find any other instances of your KUBA alias VERBICKOS, as further
        research may possibly reveal the origin of the alias surname in your family
        history. I would also be cautious about making any assumptions, as I have
        found, though the school of hard knocks, that assumptions can sometimes lead one
        astray on the proverbial wild goose chase. By the way, KUBA is a diminutive
        form of the name JAKUB (JACOB) in various Slavic languages (such as Polish and
        Czech and presumably Slovak as well). My mother's maiden name is KUBIT, a
        Polish diminutive form derived from the name JAKUB (JACOB). I hope this helps
        a little.

        Best regards,

        David Baloga

        Researching: BALOGA (BALOG, BALOGH), BELAK, CUJ (CSUJ) HAMRAK, HARBALY,
        HARENCAR, HRONEC, HVIZDOS, JURASKO, KAFFAN, KISSEL, KOVALCIK, KREDATUS, ONDERCIN,
        RUSBACKY, TKACS, TOMASOV (and variant spellings thereof) in SARIS County
        (villages of VITAZ, OVCIE, DOLINA, and SIROKE), in SPIS (villages of SPISSKE
        VLACHY, KLUKNAVA, RICHNAVA, KALAVA, VITAZ, OVCIE, DOMANOVCE, SPISSKE HRHOV,
        STARY SMOKOVEC (MLYNICA), and in GEMER County (village of ROZNAVA, BRZOTIN, and
        surrounding area)

        Home.

      • lkocik@comcast.net
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 30, 2008
          David
          Would you email at lkocik@.... My surname is Kocik, and as a child I remember the old world Slovaks in my Grandmothers Neighborhood referring to my name as Kotsik [cut-sick].
          I don't know if this is going to be posted or if it will go directly to you....I don't want to start a correspondance on the SR forum on a personnel issue.
          Thank you
          Larry Kocik

          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 31, 2008
            Hi David,

            My Kuba alias Verbitskos research is leading me along the Torysa River
            from Sabinov to Velky Saris. I have viewed many church/census records
            and have more to look at. Most of them reside in Szent Mihaly. The
            earliest one to date is Joannes Kuba alias Verbitskos, b.about 1820,
            who married Anna Sedlak (g-grandparents).

            Kuba-Jakub names are ubiquitous in this area. So far I only have only
            found Verbitskos in ships' manifests, and all seem to be from Velky
            Saris. Have you seen this name in any of your searches?

            Yes, I know about the Jakub name variants. In 1870 in Szent Mihaly,
            Johannes Revitszky and Anna Kuba alias Verbitskos became, in 1884 in
            NagyBreszecznice, Janos Reviczki and Anna Jakub.

            I have seen the name Balog in Saros and Zemplen Counties, as well as
            a Cleveland marriage record. Seems it is another ubiquitous name.

            Thanks for your insights.
            Regards,
            Carolyn

            Researching: FEDOR, KUBA, SEDLAK,in OSZTROPATAKA, SALGO, MEGYE, TOT
            SOOVAR, SALGO, RAZANY,SZENT MIHALY and environs.

            VERBITSKOS in NAGY SAROS.

            REVITSZKY-REVICZKI-REVICKY from SZENT MIHALY in SAROS to ALSOOLSAVA IN
            ZEMPLEN. (The men were blacksmiths and moved a lot.)

            GRANAT, OKARMUS, FLOREK, JENDRASSAK,in PEKELNIK,ORAVA COUNTY environs.

            HURNI-HURNYI-HORNYI in NAGYBRESZECZNICE, TURIANY, VINNE, ALL IN ZEMPLEN.

            PETROVITS in NAGYBRESZECZNICE environs.

            --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, david1law@... wrote:

            > Hi Carolyn:
            >
            > An alias is typically used to distinguish between various branches
            of the
            > same family clan, or in other instances, between different family
            clans that
            > possess the same surname. In my own research, I have found an
            alias used in
            > several instances that traced back to a mother's maiden name or a
            grandmother's
            > maiden name. For example, in my BALOGA (BALOG) clan in the SARIS
            highlands,
            > I found the alias KOCIK (KOTSIK) often used in regard to various
            members of
            > my BALOGA (BALOG) clan, and this ultimately traced back to a
            marriage in the
            > early 19th century between an ANDRAS BALOGA and a SUSANNA KOTSIK.
            I would
            > simply suggest that you continue to search through the church
            records to see if
            > you can find any other instances of your KUBA alias VERBICKOS, as
            further
            > research may possibly reveal the origin of the alias surname in
            your family
            > history. I would also be cautious about making any assumptions, as
            I have
            > found, though the school of hard knocks, that assumptions can
            sometimes lead one
            > astray on the proverbial wild goose chase. By the way, KUBA is a
            diminutive
            > form of the name JAKUB (JACOB) in various Slavic languages (such as
            Polish and
            > Czech and presumably Slovak as well). My mother's maiden name is
            KUBIT, a
            > Polish diminutive form derived from the name JAKUB (JACOB). I hope
            this helps
            > a little.
            >
            > Best regards,
            >

            > David Baloga
            >
            > Researching: BALOGA (BALOG, BALOGH), BELAK, CUJ (CSUJ) HAMRAK,
            HARBALY,
            > HARENCAR, HRONEC, HVIZDOS, JURASKO, KAFFAN, KISSEL, KOVALCIK,
            KREDATUS, ONDERCIN,
            > RUSBACKY, TKACS, TOMASOV (and variant spellings thereof) in SARIS
            County
            > (villages of VITAZ, OVCIE, DOLINA, and SIROKE), in SPIS (villages of
            SPISSKE
            > VLACHY, KLUKNAVA, RICHNAVA, KALAVA, VITAZ, OVCIE, DOMANOVCE, SPISSKE
            HRHOV,
            > STARY SMOKOVEC (MLYNICA), and in GEMER County (village of ROZNAVA,
            BRZOTIN, and
            > surrounding area)
            >

            > **************Create a Home Theater Like the Pros. Watch the video
            on AOL
            > Home.

          • Janet Kozlay
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 31, 2008
              The Verbitskos name is probably from the place name Verbicz in old Liptó
              county. Your Kuba family might then be distinguished as the “Kuba family
              that came from Verbicz.” Other variants show up in the 1715 Census as
              Verbiczki, Verbiczky, and Verbicsaszka. Aliases were not all that unusual
              and could be derived in a number of ways, including, as David pointed out,
              from the name of a related family.

              Janet

            • nilo3rak
              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 31, 2008
                Hi,
                Hmm - more to think about I shall look into the Verbicz, Lipto
                connection.

                Tell me more about the 1715 census and how to access it.
                Carolyn

                --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Janet Kozlay" <kozlay@...> wrote:

                > The Verbitskos name is probably from the place name Verbicz in old Liptó
                > county. Your Kuba family might then be distinguished as the "Kuba family
                > that came from Verbicz." Other variants show up in the 1715 Census
                > Verbiczki, Verbiczky, and Verbicsaszka. Aliases were not all that
                unusual
                > and could be derived in a number of ways, including, as David
                pointed out,
                > from the name of a related family.
                >

                > Janet

              • Janet Kozlay
                Message 7 of 7 , Mar 31, 2008
                  Hi,

                  I was not really suggesting that as a particularly useful line of research.
                  I wrote it primarily because I thought you would be interested in a possible
                  origin of the name. Verbicz is Vrbica SK, now a part of the town of
                  Liptovsky Mikulas.

                  I found the names at www.arcanum.hu/mol, in villages in western Slovakia.
                  Other than curiosity, the 1715 census doesn’t really give you very useful
                  information. You can see the original pages of the census by clicking on the
                  red numbers.

                  See Bill Tarkulich’s explanation of the different censuses at www.iabsi.com.

                  Janet

                  _____