Help!- can you read this writing

  • Vicky
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 30, 2008
      Hi,
      I have hit a brick wall in my research. My grandmother was from
      Cukolovce in Hungary (now Slovakia) when she immigrated to the US.
      Supposedly she was baptized in the Greek Catholic church in February
      of 1903. Her name was Eva Cerny. I have copied all the baptism
      records of 1903, and I can't see that any of them are her. If anyone
      is willing to take a look at double check, I would really appreciate
      it. I have posted the photos of the LDS records on Webshots. Here is
      the link:
      http://good-times.webshots.com/album/562945408bbJpjF
      If anyone sees Eva Cherny, please let me know!

      Thanks,
      Vicky
    • Marilyn Hertenstein
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 30, 2008
        Vicky,
        How do you know she was baptized in 1903? When my Slovak (formerly in
        Hungary) grandmother got married, she stated one age, but in tracing her
        back to the birth records, she was off by two years. I would suggest you go
        back 2 years, and forward 2 years. Exact age didn't mean as much to some of
        our ancestors and it does to us today. Do you know for certain she was
        baptized in the GC Church? She may have grew up Greek Catholic, but
        circumstances may have prevailed and perhaps she was baptized in the RC
        church. Good luck,

        Marilyn

        _____

        http://good- <http://good-times.webshots.com/album/562945408bbJpjF>
        times.webshots.com/album/562945408bbJpjF
        If anyone sees Eva Cherny, please let me know!

        Thanks,
        Vicky

      • vchromoho
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 30, 2008
          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Vicky" <hcross888@...> wrote:

          > Hi,
          > I have hit a brick wall in my research. My grandmother was from
          > Cukolovce in Hungary (now Slovakia) when she immigrated to the US.
          > Supposedly she was baptized in the Greek Catholic church in February
          > of 1903. Her name was Eva Cerny. I have copied all the baptism
          > records of 1903, and I can't see that any of them are her. If anyone
          > is willing to take a look at double check, I would really appreciate
          > it. I have posted the photos of the LDS records on Webshots. Here is
          > the link:
          > http://good-times.webshots.com/album/562945408bbJpjF
          > If anyone sees Eva Cherny, please let me know!
          >
          > Thanks,
          > Vicky

          Vicky, this is pretty confusing -- I looked at the images and I see RC
          records from Kolacskov, and GC records from Davidvagas (now Davidov),
          Zemplen county, now district of Vranov nad Toplou. I see that LDS film
          #1792027 includes Cukalovce and Davidov... which of your images have
          the Csukahaza (Cukalovce) records?

          Are you sure that your grandmother was actually from Cukalovce
          (Csukahaza), in Zemplen county, today Humenne district? Cukalovce
          was/is a village almost entirely inhabited by Rusyns, and the Rusyn
          language would not have a surname "Cherny" (Cserny, C~erny) -- it would
          have to be C~ornyj (in Hungarian orthography, Csornyi or Csornyj).

          Rich
        • Vicky
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 31, 2008
            Rich,
            The RC records are from Kolockov and the Greek Catholic records are
            from Cuklovce. I have the marriage certificate from my grandparents
            where my grandmother Eva Cerny (Zamiska) stated that she was baptized
            in Cukalovce, Zemplin February 20, 1903. I know that this family was
            Greek Catholic because my grandmother would not attend church with my
            RC grandfather and she wanted to raise the children Greek Catholic.
            Vicky
          • Vicky
            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 31, 2008
              Marilyn,

              I got the baptism date from the marriage certificate. The problem is
              that the person who documented births had writing that is very
              difficult to read. I can't make out any names that look familiar! It
              was frustrating because some of the writing is so beautiful and easy
              to read, but I don't even know what language was being written; I
              assume it is Hungarian.

              You are right that perhaps she wasn't baptized there, but she did
              declare this.

              Vicky