Re: [S-R] Slightly off-topic: Czech research

  • helene cincebeaux
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 28, 2008
      There are 3 possible listings for your village in the
      Czech Republic - check them out on the site
      www.stetlseeker.com.

      Sounds like they might have been part of one of the
      Czech communities that sprung up in Ukraine - seems
      under the Austro-Hungarian Empire people traveled a
      long way in hopes of land or a better life or
      opportunities for work. Have visited a community like
      this in southern Romania on the Serbian border where
      the people left Czech villages in 1828 and recreated
      their culture there. It still exists quite untouched
      to this day; however today most of the young people
      leave for better job opportunities.

      We found meticulous records in the village documenting
      each family and the villages they came from in the
      Czech lands. Many from this village emigrated to
      tobacco farms in Virginia and i was privileged to be
      with that group on their first visit to their
      ancestral land. We were able to communicate fine and
      enjoyed their folk festival, most of the songs were so
      familiar.

      A good resource is FEEFHS, the Eastern European Family
      History site that incoporates some 160 ethnic
      societies - some very specialized for these kinds of
      communities - you can google it and then browse the
      various groups.

      helene

      http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs