Re: [S-R] Slightly off-topic: Czech research

  • helene cincebeaux
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 27, 2008
      So please tell us where the land was located.

      would make a difference if it is now in the Czech
      Republic or Slovakia.

      helene

      --- ttplante@... wrote:

      > I have been trying for what seems like forever to
      > find anyone or anyplace that
      > might help in my quest to find answers concerning my
      > ancestors. I have been
      > unable to locate the birthplace of my great
      > grandfather and have therefore hit
      > the perverbial "brick" wall. I do know he married
      > my great grandmother (his
      > second wife) in Czechoslovakia. I have even managed
      > to get a land location of
      > a piece of land they owned there. I was quiet
      > excited by this site...I have
      > somehow managed to miss finding it up until now.
      > Thanks!
      >
      > Quoting ajdolli <anabeth@...>:
      >
      > > Those of you researching Czech ancestors might be
      > interested to know
      > > that a Special Edition of Nas~e Rodina has been
      > published that is
      > > completely devoted to Czech genealogical research.
      > Nas~e Rodina is a
      > > quarterly of the Czechoslovak Genealogical Society
      > International. The
      > > Special Edition, dated February 2008, contains two
      > papers presented by
      > > Dr. Lenka Matus~ikova )of the Czech National
      > Archives) at the 2007
      > > CGSI Conference.
      > >
      > > Please go to the CGSI web page (www.cgsi.org)for
      > more information.
      > >
      > > Anabeth

      Be a better friend, newshound, and
    • ttplante@telusplanet.net
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 27, 2008
        Josef Ploc (Plotz) married ALZBETA MIKL IN HRDLOREZ in 1894. She came to
        Canada on the ship Regina in the early 1900's. What I have heard is that Josef
        was born in 1872 to Czech parents in Simperfol. It is believed they had a
        flour mill but so far I have yet to be able to find anything concerning them.
        I have found some records concerning his first wife Barbara who he married in
        1896 and have found the immigration documents although they too lead to more
        questions. I have also been told that he and Barbara had 3 children before
        coming to the US in 1902 but again I have only found records for one of them.
        They eventually immigrated to the US in Detroit but farmed in North dakota
        near Belfield until they evetually came to Canada looking for a Czech farming
        community called Praque. They moved several times but never really "settled".
        When Barbara died in 1927 Joseph and three of his sons returned to
        Czechslovakia where he bought a parcel of land near Hrdlorez. I am really
        trying to locate his family. I believe with a little searching I can find
        Alzbeta's info. In fact one of Josef's sons married her niece Rozalie Mikl
        (miklova).

        Unfortunatley I have not spent a lot of time trying to figure out border
        changes etc. and I have a feeling that thie is probably where I should start.
        I am only guessing as to where Josef and his family came from. I have tried
        what is now teh Ukrainian Geneology center and they have provided me with a few
        documents but I am really streatching connections when I put together the
        information they sent.

        ____

        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 28, 2008
          There are 3 possible listings for your village in the
          Czech Republic - check them out on the site
          www.stetlseeker.com.

          Sounds like they might have been part of one of the
          Czech communities that sprung up in Ukraine - seems
          under the Austro-Hungarian Empire people traveled a
          long way in hopes of land or a better life or
          opportunities for work. Have visited a community like
          this in southern Romania on the Serbian border where
          the people left Czech villages in 1828 and recreated
          their culture there. It still exists quite untouched
          to this day; however today most of the young people
          leave for better job opportunities.

          We found meticulous records in the village documenting
          each family and the villages they came from in the
          Czech lands. Many from this village emigrated to
          tobacco farms in Virginia and i was privileged to be
          with that group on their first visit to their
          ancestral land. We were able to communicate fine and
          enjoyed their folk festival, most of the songs were so
          familiar.

          A good resource is FEEFHS, the Eastern European Family
          History site that incoporates some 160 ethnic
          societies - some very specialized for these kinds of
          communities - you can google it and then browse the
          various groups.

          helene

          http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs