Re: [S-R] Slightly off-topic: Czech research

  • Caye Caswick
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 27, 2008
      I suggest you begin by check the church records for the village or town where that land was owned via the Family History Library.

      Caye

      ttplante@... wrote:
      I have been trying for what seems like forever to find anyone or anyplace that
      might help in my quest to find answers concerning my ancestors. I have been
      unable to locate the birthplace of my great grandfather and have therefore hit
      the perverbial "brick" wall. I do know he married my great grandmother (his
      second wife) in Czechoslovakia. I have even managed to get a land location of
      a piece of land they owned there. I was quiet excited by this site...I have
      somehow managed to miss finding it up until now. Thanks!

      Quoting ajdolli <anabeth@...>:

      > Those of you researching Czech ancestors might be interested to know
      > that a Special Edition of Nas~e Rodina has been published that is
      > completely devoted to Czech genealogical research. Nas~e Rodina is a
      > quarterly of the Czechoslovak Genealogical Society International. The
      > Special Edition, dated February 2008, contains two papers presented by
      > Dr. Lenka Matus~ikova )of the Czech National Archives) at the 2007
      > CGSI Conference.
      >
      > Please go to the CGSI web page (www.cgsi.org)for more information.
      >
      > Anabeth

    • helene cincebeaux
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 27, 2008
        So please tell us where the land was located.

        would make a difference if it is now in the Czech
        Republic or Slovakia.

        helene

        --- ttplante@... wrote:

        > I have been trying for what seems like forever to
        > find anyone or anyplace that
        > might help in my quest to find answers concerning my
        > ancestors. I have been
        > unable to locate the birthplace of my great
        > grandfather and have therefore hit
        > the perverbial "brick" wall. I do know he married
        > my great grandmother (his
        > second wife) in Czechoslovakia. I have even managed
        > to get a land location of
        > a piece of land they owned there. I was quiet
        > excited by this site...I have
        > somehow managed to miss finding it up until now.
        > Thanks!
        >
        > Quoting ajdolli <anabeth@...>:
        >
        > > Those of you researching Czech ancestors might be
        > interested to know
        > > that a Special Edition of Nas~e Rodina has been
        > published that is
        > > completely devoted to Czech genealogical research.
        > Nas~e Rodina is a
        > > quarterly of the Czechoslovak Genealogical Society
        > International. The
        > > Special Edition, dated February 2008, contains two
        > papers presented by
        > > Dr. Lenka Matus~ikova )of the Czech National
        > Archives) at the 2007
        > > CGSI Conference.
        > >
        > > Please go to the CGSI web page (www.cgsi.org)for
        > more information.
        > >
        > > Anabeth

        Be a better friend, newshound, and
      • ttplante@telusplanet.net
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 27, 2008
          Josef Ploc (Plotz) married ALZBETA MIKL IN HRDLOREZ in 1894. She came to
          Canada on the ship Regina in the early 1900's. What I have heard is that Josef
          was born in 1872 to Czech parents in Simperfol. It is believed they had a
          flour mill but so far I have yet to be able to find anything concerning them.
          I have found some records concerning his first wife Barbara who he married in
          1896 and have found the immigration documents although they too lead to more
          questions. I have also been told that he and Barbara had 3 children before
          coming to the US in 1902 but again I have only found records for one of them.
          They eventually immigrated to the US in Detroit but farmed in North dakota
          near Belfield until they evetually came to Canada looking for a Czech farming
          community called Praque. They moved several times but never really "settled".
          When Barbara died in 1927 Joseph and three of his sons returned to
          Czechslovakia where he bought a parcel of land near Hrdlorez. I am really
          trying to locate his family. I believe with a little searching I can find
          Alzbeta's info. In fact one of Josef's sons married her niece Rozalie Mikl
          (miklova).

          Unfortunatley I have not spent a lot of time trying to figure out border
          changes etc. and I have a feeling that thie is probably where I should start.
          I am only guessing as to where Josef and his family came from. I have tried
          what is now teh Ukrainian Geneology center and they have provided me with a few
          documents but I am really streatching connections when I put together the
          information they sent.

          ____

          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 28, 2008
            There are 3 possible listings for your village in the
            Czech Republic - check them out on the site
            www.stetlseeker.com.

            Sounds like they might have been part of one of the
            Czech communities that sprung up in Ukraine - seems
            under the Austro-Hungarian Empire people traveled a
            long way in hopes of land or a better life or
            opportunities for work. Have visited a community like
            this in southern Romania on the Serbian border where
            the people left Czech villages in 1828 and recreated
            their culture there. It still exists quite untouched
            to this day; however today most of the young people
            leave for better job opportunities.

            We found meticulous records in the village documenting
            each family and the villages they came from in the
            Czech lands. Many from this village emigrated to
            tobacco farms in Virginia and i was privileged to be
            with that group on their first visit to their
            ancestral land. We were able to communicate fine and
            enjoyed their folk festival, most of the songs were so
            familiar.

            A good resource is FEEFHS, the Eastern European Family
            History site that incoporates some 160 ethnic
            societies - some very specialized for these kinds of
            communities - you can google it and then browse the
            various groups.

            helene

            http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs