Re: [S-R] Slightly off-topic: Czech research

  • ttplante@telusplanet.net
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 27, 2008
      I have been trying for what seems like forever to find anyone or anyplace that
      might help in my quest to find answers concerning my ancestors. I have been
      unable to locate the birthplace of my great grandfather and have therefore hit
      the perverbial "brick" wall. I do know he married my great grandmother (his
      second wife) in Czechoslovakia. I have even managed to get a land location of
      a piece of land they owned there. I was quiet excited by this site...I have
      somehow managed to miss finding it up until now. Thanks!

      Quoting ajdolli <anabeth@...>:

      > Those of you researching Czech ancestors might be interested to know
      > that a Special Edition of Nas~e Rodina has been published that is
      > completely devoted to Czech genealogical research. Nas~e Rodina is a
      > quarterly of the Czechoslovak Genealogical Society International. The
      > Special Edition, dated February 2008, contains two papers presented by
      > Dr. Lenka Matus~ikova )of the Czech National Archives) at the 2007
      > CGSI Conference.
      >
      > Please go to the CGSI web page (www.cgsi.org)for more information.
      >
      > Anabeth

    • Caye Caswick
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 27, 2008
        I suggest you begin by check the church records for the village or town where that land was owned via the Family History Library.

        Caye

        Quoting ajdolli <anabeth@...>:

        > Those of you researching Czech ancestors might be interested to know
        > that a Special Edition of Nas~e Rodina has been published that is
        > completely devoted to Czech genealogical research. Nas~e Rodina is a
        > quarterly of the Czechoslovak Genealogical Society International. The
        > Special Edition, dated February 2008, contains two papers presented by
        > Dr. Lenka Matus~ikova )of the Czech National Archives) at the 2007
        > CGSI Conference.
        >
        > Please go to the CGSI web page (www.cgsi.org)for more information.
        >
        > Anabeth

      • helene cincebeaux
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 27, 2008
          So please tell us where the land was located.

          would make a difference if it is now in the Czech
          Republic or Slovakia.

          helene

          --- ttplante@... wrote:

          > I have been trying for what seems like forever to
          > find anyone or anyplace that
          > might help in my quest to find answers concerning my
          > ancestors. I have been
          > unable to locate the birthplace of my great
          > grandfather and have therefore hit
          > the perverbial "brick" wall. I do know he married
          > my great grandmother (his
          > second wife) in Czechoslovakia. I have even managed
          > to get a land location of
          > a piece of land they owned there. I was quiet
          > excited by this site...I have
          > somehow managed to miss finding it up until now.
          > Thanks!
          >
          > Quoting ajdolli <anabeth@...>:
          >
          > > Those of you researching Czech ancestors might be
          > interested to know
          > > that a Special Edition of Nas~e Rodina has been
          > published that is
          > > completely devoted to Czech genealogical research.
          > Nas~e Rodina is a
          > > quarterly of the Czechoslovak Genealogical Society
          > International. The
          > > Special Edition, dated February 2008, contains two
          > papers presented by
          > > Dr. Lenka Matus~ikova )of the Czech National
          > Archives) at the 2007
          > > CGSI Conference.
          > >
          > > Please go to the CGSI web page (www.cgsi.org)for
          > more information.
          > >
          > > Anabeth

          Be a better friend, newshound, and
        • ttplante@telusplanet.net
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 27, 2008
            Josef Ploc (Plotz) married ALZBETA MIKL IN HRDLOREZ in 1894. She came to
            Canada on the ship Regina in the early 1900's. What I have heard is that Josef
            was born in 1872 to Czech parents in Simperfol. It is believed they had a
            flour mill but so far I have yet to be able to find anything concerning them.
            I have found some records concerning his first wife Barbara who he married in
            1896 and have found the immigration documents although they too lead to more
            questions. I have also been told that he and Barbara had 3 children before
            coming to the US in 1902 but again I have only found records for one of them.
            They eventually immigrated to the US in Detroit but farmed in North dakota
            near Belfield until they evetually came to Canada looking for a Czech farming
            community called Praque. They moved several times but never really "settled".
            When Barbara died in 1927 Joseph and three of his sons returned to
            Czechslovakia where he bought a parcel of land near Hrdlorez. I am really
            trying to locate his family. I believe with a little searching I can find
            Alzbeta's info. In fact one of Josef's sons married her niece Rozalie Mikl
            (miklova).

            Unfortunatley I have not spent a lot of time trying to figure out border
            changes etc. and I have a feeling that thie is probably where I should start.
            I am only guessing as to where Josef and his family came from. I have tried
            what is now teh Ukrainian Geneology center and they have provided me with a few
            documents but I am really streatching connections when I put together the
            information they sent.

            ____

            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 28, 2008
              There are 3 possible listings for your village in the
              Czech Republic - check them out on the site
              www.stetlseeker.com.

              Sounds like they might have been part of one of the
              Czech communities that sprung up in Ukraine - seems
              under the Austro-Hungarian Empire people traveled a
              long way in hopes of land or a better life or
              opportunities for work. Have visited a community like
              this in southern Romania on the Serbian border where
              the people left Czech villages in 1828 and recreated
              their culture there. It still exists quite untouched
              to this day; however today most of the young people
              leave for better job opportunities.

              We found meticulous records in the village documenting
              each family and the villages they came from in the
              Czech lands. Many from this village emigrated to
              tobacco farms in Virginia and i was privileged to be
              with that group on their first visit to their
              ancestral land. We were able to communicate fine and
              enjoyed their folk festival, most of the songs were so
              familiar.

              A good resource is FEEFHS, the Eastern European Family
              History site that incoporates some 160 ethnic
              societies - some very specialized for these kinds of
              communities - you can google it and then browse the
              various groups.

              helene

              http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs