Slightly off-topic: Czech research

  • ajdolli
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 27, 2008
      Those of you researching Czech ancestors might be interested to know
      that a Special Edition of Nas~e Rodina has been published that is
      completely devoted to Czech genealogical research. Nas~e Rodina is a
      quarterly of the Czechoslovak Genealogical Society International. The
      Special Edition, dated February 2008, contains two papers presented by
      Dr. Lenka Matus~ikova )of the Czech National Archives) at the 2007
      CGSI Conference.

      Please go to the CGSI web page (www.cgsi.org)for more information.

      Anabeth
    • ttplante@telusplanet.net
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 27, 2008
        I have been trying for what seems like forever to find anyone or anyplace that
        might help in my quest to find answers concerning my ancestors. I have been
        unable to locate the birthplace of my great grandfather and have therefore hit
        the perverbial "brick" wall. I do know he married my great grandmother (his
        second wife) in Czechoslovakia. I have even managed to get a land location of
        a piece of land they owned there. I was quiet excited by this site...I have
        somehow managed to miss finding it up until now. Thanks!

        Quoting ajdolli <anabeth@...>:

        > Those of you researching Czech ancestors might be interested to know
        > that a Special Edition of Nas~e Rodina has been published that is
        > completely devoted to Czech genealogical research. Nas~e Rodina is a
        > quarterly of the Czechoslovak Genealogical Society International. The
        > Special Edition, dated February 2008, contains two papers presented by
        > Dr. Lenka Matus~ikova )of the Czech National Archives) at the 2007
        > CGSI Conference.
        >
        > Please go to the CGSI web page (www.cgsi.org)for more information.
        >
        > Anabeth

      • Caye Caswick
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 27, 2008
          I suggest you begin by check the church records for the village or town where that land was owned via the Family History Library.

          Caye

          Quoting ajdolli <anabeth@...>:

          > Those of you researching Czech ancestors might be interested to know
          > that a Special Edition of Nas~e Rodina has been published that is
          > completely devoted to Czech genealogical research. Nas~e Rodina is a
          > quarterly of the Czechoslovak Genealogical Society International. The
          > Special Edition, dated February 2008, contains two papers presented by
          > Dr. Lenka Matus~ikova )of the Czech National Archives) at the 2007
          > CGSI Conference.
          >
          > Please go to the CGSI web page (www.cgsi.org)for more information.
          >
          > Anabeth

        • helene cincebeaux
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 27, 2008
            So please tell us where the land was located.

            would make a difference if it is now in the Czech
            Republic or Slovakia.

            helene

            --- ttplante@... wrote:

            > I have been trying for what seems like forever to
            > find anyone or anyplace that
            > might help in my quest to find answers concerning my
            > ancestors. I have been
            > unable to locate the birthplace of my great
            > grandfather and have therefore hit
            > the perverbial "brick" wall. I do know he married
            > my great grandmother (his
            > second wife) in Czechoslovakia. I have even managed
            > to get a land location of
            > a piece of land they owned there. I was quiet
            > excited by this site...I have
            > somehow managed to miss finding it up until now.
            > Thanks!
            >
            > Quoting ajdolli <anabeth@...>:
            >
            > > Those of you researching Czech ancestors might be
            > interested to know
            > > that a Special Edition of Nas~e Rodina has been
            > published that is
            > > completely devoted to Czech genealogical research.
            > Nas~e Rodina is a
            > > quarterly of the Czechoslovak Genealogical Society
            > International. The
            > > Special Edition, dated February 2008, contains two
            > papers presented by
            > > Dr. Lenka Matus~ikova )of the Czech National
            > Archives) at the 2007
            > > CGSI Conference.
            > >
            > > Please go to the CGSI web page (www.cgsi.org)for
            > more information.
            > >
            > > Anabeth

            Be a better friend, newshound, and
          • ttplante@telusplanet.net
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 27, 2008
              Josef Ploc (Plotz) married ALZBETA MIKL IN HRDLOREZ in 1894. She came to
              Canada on the ship Regina in the early 1900's. What I have heard is that Josef
              was born in 1872 to Czech parents in Simperfol. It is believed they had a
              flour mill but so far I have yet to be able to find anything concerning them.
              I have found some records concerning his first wife Barbara who he married in
              1896 and have found the immigration documents although they too lead to more
              questions. I have also been told that he and Barbara had 3 children before
              coming to the US in 1902 but again I have only found records for one of them.
              They eventually immigrated to the US in Detroit but farmed in North dakota
              near Belfield until they evetually came to Canada looking for a Czech farming
              community called Praque. They moved several times but never really "settled".
              When Barbara died in 1927 Joseph and three of his sons returned to
              Czechslovakia where he bought a parcel of land near Hrdlorez. I am really
              trying to locate his family. I believe with a little searching I can find
              Alzbeta's info. In fact one of Josef's sons married her niece Rozalie Mikl
              (miklova).

              Unfortunatley I have not spent a lot of time trying to figure out border
              changes etc. and I have a feeling that thie is probably where I should start.
              I am only guessing as to where Josef and his family came from. I have tried
              what is now teh Ukrainian Geneology center and they have provided me with a few
              documents but I am really streatching connections when I put together the
              information they sent.

              ____

              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 28, 2008
                There are 3 possible listings for your village in the
                Czech Republic - check them out on the site
                www.stetlseeker.com.

                Sounds like they might have been part of one of the
                Czech communities that sprung up in Ukraine - seems
                under the Austro-Hungarian Empire people traveled a
                long way in hopes of land or a better life or
                opportunities for work. Have visited a community like
                this in southern Romania on the Serbian border where
                the people left Czech villages in 1828 and recreated
                their culture there. It still exists quite untouched
                to this day; however today most of the young people
                leave for better job opportunities.

                We found meticulous records in the village documenting
                each family and the villages they came from in the
                Czech lands. Many from this village emigrated to
                tobacco farms in Virginia and i was privileged to be
                with that group on their first visit to their
                ancestral land. We were able to communicate fine and
                enjoyed their folk festival, most of the songs were so
                familiar.

                A good resource is FEEFHS, the Eastern European Family
                History site that incoporates some 160 ethnic
                societies - some very specialized for these kinds of
                communities - you can google it and then browse the
                various groups.

                helene

                http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs