Re: [S-R] Re: LASTOMIR Greek Catholic parish records: Uh, what's the deal?

    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 26, 2008
      Yes it is.
      If you can read Magyar, start here:
      http://kt.lib.pte.hu/cgi-bin/kt.cgi?konyvtar/kt03110501/0_0_1_pg_1.html

      If you read English, I wrote a general overview and usage guidelines here:
      http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/dvorzsak_gazetteer.htm

      Regards,
      Bill

      On Wed, March 26, 2008 8:46 am, Paw1776 wrote:
      > Janet:
      >
      > I heard somewhere that the Dvorszak Gazeteer was online? Is this true?
      > If so can you provide us with a link?
      >
      > Thanks!
      >
      > Polly Russinik Walker

      Bill Tarkulich
      http://www.iabsi.com
    • Janet Kozlay
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 26, 2008
        The Dvorzsak Gazetteer can be accessed at
        http://kt.lib.pte.hu/cgi-bin/kt.cgi?konyvtar/kt03110501/index.html. It is
        helpful if you know the jaras (district) as well as the megye (county). You
        can usually find this at Radix (www.bogardi.com <http://www.bogardi.com/> ).
        Click on Tartalomjegyz�k and then the megye. Scroll through the pages using
        k�vetkez� oldal. If you don't find the jaras, it is probably under a
        different name. In that case you may need to scroll through the entire megye
        to find your village.

        Janet

        _____

        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 26, 2008
          Oh, wow, thanks for the responses, everyone. Despite having read
          Bill's page about using the Dvorzsák Gazetteer at *least* once, I
          wasn't aware of this particular use for it. Duh. So I never forget,
          I'm printing out all the pages for Zemplén and Sáros, and having the
          text tattoed on my forehead. Backwards, of course.

          So, for now, I'll order the films for both Šamudovce and Lastomír,
          and hope for the best. I'll report back on what I find, if anyone's
          interested. You know, some day, when some *other* poor jerk is
          wondering where all the Greek Catholic records from Lastomír went.

          Thanks again,

          ---Will Anderson

          <bill.tarkulich@...> wrote:

          > Will, I would defer to Janet's guidance. However, for
          completeness, you
          > should have the following info, taken from the "Parish registers in
          > slovakia from 16th to 19th century" written by the Slovak State
          Archives.
          > It's a cross reference and for your village, it indicates:
          > - Michalovce has Roman Catholic records
          > - Pozdiscovce has Evangelical records
          > If the above all turn up dry, it's always possible the ledgers are
          at the
          > church.
          >
          > Regards,
          > Bill
          >
          > On Wed, March 26, 2008 6:49 am, Janet Kozlay wrote:
          > > According to the Dvorzsak Gazetteer the Greek Catholic records for
          > > Lastomir
          > > should be with those from nearby Samudovce, 1785-1928. Those
          records
          > > appear
          > > to be far more complete. Hope you have better luck finding your
          family
          > > there.
          > >

          > > Janet

          > --