What happened when someone died?

  • robert_shive
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 26, 2008
      My g-grandmother's Beganyi family included 5 brothers and 3 sisters.
      All but one came to the US between 1895 and 1905. The oldest two
      brothers were Josef Jr. and John. When their father Josef Sr. died in
      1903 (in Also Mislye), both guys appeared to return to Slovakland. As
      nearly as I can tell, Josef Jr. never returned to the US; John
      eventually did.

      I assume that old Hungary had laws regarding the passing on of an
      estate. Would those have required the presence of Josef Jr.--or anyone-
      -in person? Is it possible to get records of any of this stuff?
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 26, 2008
        Yes, it is possible, but the property laws in place from then until
        present yielded dozens of partial owners.

        Start here: http://www.centroconsult.sk/genealogy/land.html

        This has been discussed previously at length. Be sure to check the group
        email archives.

        Bill.

        On Wed, March 26, 2008 8:39 am, robert_shive wrote:
        > My g-grandmother's Beganyi family included 5 brothers and 3 sisters.
        > All but one came to the US between 1895 and 1905. The oldest two
        > brothers were Josef Jr. and John. When their father Josef Sr. died in
        > 1903 (in Also Mislye), both guys appeared to return to Slovakland. As
        > nearly as I can tell, Josef Jr. never returned to the US; John
        > eventually did.
        >
        > I assume that old Hungary had laws regarding the passing on of an
        > estate. Would those have required the presence of Josef Jr.--or anyone-
        > -in person? Is it possible to get records of any of this stuff?

        Bill Tarkulich
        http://www.iabsi.com