Re: Translation and Location, Please

  • Joe Armata
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 13, 2000
      "Tips" might be "Zips", the German name for Spis county (Szepes in
      Hungarian). If nobody identifies the modern name of the village of
      Rekfalu by tomorrow, I can check some references and see if it's listed
      there.

      Joe Armata
      joe@...

      > 1897 -- April 12, father was born in Rekfalu, Tips in Hungary
      >
      > apouliot49@... writes:
      >
      > << 1878 -- April 12,--Otec narodeni v Rekfalu, Tips, v Ungvaru." >>
    • John
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 13, 2000
        At 11:23 AM 7/13/00 -0500, you wrote:
        >Rekfalu

        It looks like a part of the name may refer to village. When you use
        ShtetlSeeker, it lists 7 listings for Rek in Slovakia and 2 in
        Hungary. Then on the other hand, I may not know what I'm talking about (It
        would be a first ;-) ). Personally, I'd wait for Joe's input.

        -falu wick

        falu boonies, village

        falucska hamlet

        faluhely boonies

        falusi hayseed, rural, yokel, villager, hick

        falusi ember goop, yokel

        falusi fajankó bumpkin (hey, watch that fajanko business)

        falusi házikó bower

        Janko