LASTOMIR Greek Catholic parish records: Uh, what's the deal?

  • Will
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 25 5:14 PM
      I was going to head down to my FHC to order some films, hopeful to
      find some information on my Širokman ancestors from Lastomír
      (Detailed recently in my *insanely* popular thread, "SIROKMAN from
      LASTOMIR / Etymology of a name."). 1869 Census, and the Greek
      Catholic parish records. The Census stuff looked fine, naturally, and
      a quick glance at the parish records told me they were from 1787-
      1937. Yay. But, when I took a closer look at the parish records, (
      http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library/fhlcatalog/printing/titledetai
      lsprint.asp?titleno=730849 ), I noticed that a number of years seem
      to be missing: Most only seem to go back to *1890* (My ancestor was
      born abt. 1869, grr.), with the exception of some birth records,
      which go back to 1860... and end in 1866.

      So, I was wondering if anyone here has any experience with the Greek
      Catholic films from Lastomír. I checked the FHLC listings for films
      from neighbouring GK parishes, and saw nothing implying that records
      from Lastomír are included in them. Is there actually more to the
      Lastomír films than the FHLC would seem to indicate? Like, going back
      to 1787, as the film title suggests? Or were they maybe lost?
      According to this page, Lastomír parish seems to be considerably
      older than 1860: http://www.grkatke.sk/schfarnost.aspx?schidez=Lastom%
      C3%ADr
      If I'm reading that page correctly, it says that Lastomír is (today)
      affiliated with Sliepkovce parish, as well as one in the Vrbovec
      neighbourhood of Michalovce. The Sliepkovce records are, according to
      the FHLC, included in the Dúbravka GK films, and there doesn't seem
      to be anything for Vrobovec specifically... But maybe
      Lastomir's "lost years" are in the Michalovce films?

      Ugh, I do go on though, don't I? So, any ideas? :)

      ---Will Anderson
    • Michael Mojher
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 25 8:26 PM
        Will,
        A Lastomir Family Search:Place search comes up with following;
        Cirkevná matrika, 1787-1937 Grécko-katolícka cirkev. Farský úrad Lastomír (Michalovce).
        Which are marriage records of the Greek Catholic Church from 1787 to 1937.
        If you click on the title you get the following:
        Greek Catholic parish registers of baptisms, marriages and deaths for Lastomír, Slovakia, formerly Lasztomér, Zemplén, Hungary. Text in Hungarian and Ruthenian.
        This says that it includes the three major registers for Lastomir.
        Here are the film numbers:
        Krsty 1890-1921 FHL INTL Film 1792396 Item 4
        Krsty 1921-1928 Krsty 1860-1866 Uzavreté manzelstvá 1890-1937 Úmrtia 1890-1937 Druhopisy Krsty, uzavreté manzelstvá, úmrtia 1891-1895 FHL INTL Film 1792397 Items 1-2
        From the film number nothing is older from 1860. Which explains your frustration. You might consider contacting Family Search. org and see if the do have the films going back to 1787.
        Baptism in Slovak is Krstini. I don't speak Slovak or Ruthenian so I can't tell you exactly what the records are about.
        I did find a reference that showed Lastomir being in existance in 1773. It is a relatively small town, under 1200, its birth records are kept in Michalovce. Which, depending on the recorder, can be from 1880 to the present.
        I looked at the surnames for Lastomir and the surrounding villages. The only thing close to your Sirokman was a listing for a Sirochman in Michalovce.
        Good luck on your search.
        Michael Mojher

        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 26 3:49 AM
          According to the Dvorzsak Gazetteer the Greek Catholic records for Lastomir
          should be with those from nearby Samudovce, 1785-1928. Those records appear
          to be far more complete. Hope you have better luck finding your family
          there.

          Janet

          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 26 5:02 AM
            Will, I would defer to Janet's guidance. However, for completeness, you
            should have the following info, taken from the "Parish registers in
            slovakia from 16th to 19th century" written by the Slovak State Archives.
            It's a cross reference and for your village, it indicates:
            - Michalovce has Roman Catholic records
            - Pozdiscovce has Evangelical records
            If the above all turn up dry, it's always possible the ledgers are at the
            church.

            Regards,
            Bill

            On Wed, March 26, 2008 6:49 am, Janet Kozlay wrote:
            > According to the Dvorzsak Gazetteer the Greek Catholic records for
            > Lastomir
            > should be with those from nearby Samudovce, 1785-1928. Those records
            > appear
            > to be far more complete. Hope you have better luck finding your family
            > there.
            >

            > Janet

            Bill Tarkulich
            http://www.iabsi.com
          • Paw1776
            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 26 5:46 AM
              Janet:

              I heard somewhere that the Dvorszak Gazeteer was online? Is this true? If so can you provide us with a link?

              Thanks!

              Polly Russinik Walker

              Message 6 of 10 , Mar 26 6:05 AM
                Yes it is.
                If you can read Magyar, start here:
                http://kt.lib.pte.hu/cgi-bin/kt.cgi?konyvtar/kt03110501/0_0_1_pg_1.html

                If you read English, I wrote a general overview and usage guidelines here:
                http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/dvorzsak_gazetteer.htm

                Regards,
                Bill

                On Wed, March 26, 2008 8:46 am, Paw1776 wrote:
                > Janet:
                >
                > I heard somewhere that the Dvorszak Gazeteer was online? Is this true?
                > If so can you provide us with a link?
                >
                > Thanks!
                >
                > Polly Russinik Walker

                Bill Tarkulich
                http://www.iabsi.com
              • Janet Kozlay
                Message 7 of 10 , Mar 26 7:35 AM
                  The Dvorzsak Gazetteer can be accessed at
                  http://kt.lib.pte.hu/cgi-bin/kt.cgi?konyvtar/kt03110501/index.html. It is
                  helpful if you know the jaras (district) as well as the megye (county). You
                  can usually find this at Radix (www.bogardi.com <http://www.bogardi.com/> ).
                  Click on Tartalomjegyz�k and then the megye. Scroll through the pages using
                  k�vetkez� oldal. If you don't find the jaras, it is probably under a
                  different name. In that case you may need to scroll through the entire megye
                  to find your village.

                  Janet

                  _____

                  Message 8 of 10 , Mar 26 6:57 PM
                    Oh, wow, thanks for the responses, everyone. Despite having read
                    Bill's page about using the Dvorzsák Gazetteer at *least* once, I
                    wasn't aware of this particular use for it. Duh. So I never forget,
                    I'm printing out all the pages for Zemplén and Sáros, and having the
                    text tattoed on my forehead. Backwards, of course.

                    So, for now, I'll order the films for both Šamudovce and Lastomír,
                    and hope for the best. I'll report back on what I find, if anyone's
                    interested. You know, some day, when some *other* poor jerk is
                    wondering where all the Greek Catholic records from Lastomír went.

                    Thanks again,

                    ---Will Anderson

                    <bill.tarkulich@...> wrote:

                    > Will, I would defer to Janet's guidance. However, for
                    completeness, you
                    > should have the following info, taken from the "Parish registers in
                    > slovakia from 16th to 19th century" written by the Slovak State
                    Archives.
                    > It's a cross reference and for your village, it indicates:
                    > - Michalovce has Roman Catholic records
                    > - Pozdiscovce has Evangelical records
                    > If the above all turn up dry, it's always possible the ledgers are
                    at the
                    > church.
                    >
                    > Regards,
                    > Bill
                    >
                    > On Wed, March 26, 2008 6:49 am, Janet Kozlay wrote:
                    > > According to the Dvorzsak Gazetteer the Greek Catholic records for
                    > > Lastomir
                    > > should be with those from nearby Samudovce, 1785-1928. Those
                    records
                    > > appear
                    > > to be far more complete. Hope you have better luck finding your
                    family
                    > > there.
                    > >

                    > > Janet

                    > --