Re: [SLOVAK-ROOTS] Translation and Location, Please

  • Andrea Vangor
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 12, 2000
      In my ignorance, I think it says father's birth(day) was in so-and-so on
      that date.Ungvaru -- Ungvara is the place, in eastern Slovakia I think. You
      have to watch out for the inflections. The first names look Hungarian,
      which they would have been at that date. The ending -falu is the Hungarian
      word for town. Try Shtetl Seeker under Slovakia. It's at
      www.jewishgen.org -- somewhere under the resources. That's part of the fun
      here -- the town names are usually given in Hungarian in the late 19th
      century, right up to about 1920.

      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 12, 2000
        1897 -- April 12, father was born in Rekfalu, Tips in Hungary