Translation and Location, Please

  • ann greene
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 12, 2000
      Can someone please tell me what this means?

      "1878 -- April 12,--Otec narodeni v Rekfalu, Tips, v Ungvaru."

      I think it is a birthdate and place. Anyone know where this place
      might be? I can't find it. Any help would be appreciated.

      Thanks,
      Ann Greene
    • Joe Armata
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 13, 2000
        "Tips" might be "Zips", the German name for Spis county (Szepes in
        Hungarian). If nobody identifies the modern name of the village of
        Rekfalu by tomorrow, I can check some references and see if it's listed
        there.

        Joe Armata
        joe@...

        > 1897 -- April 12, father was born in Rekfalu, Tips in Hungary
        >
        > apouliot49@... writes:
        >
        > << 1878 -- April 12,--Otec narodeni v Rekfalu, Tips, v Ungvaru." >>
      • John
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 13, 2000
          At 11:23 AM 7/13/00 -0500, you wrote:
          >Rekfalu

          It looks like a part of the name may refer to village. When you use
          ShtetlSeeker, it lists 7 listings for Rek in Slovakia and 2 in
          Hungary. Then on the other hand, I may not know what I'm talking about (It
          would be a first ;-) ). Personally, I'd wait for Joe's input.

          -falu wick

          falu boonies, village

          falucska hamlet

          faluhely boonies

          falusi hayseed, rural, yokel, villager, hick

          falusi ember goop, yokel

          falusi fajankó bumpkin (hey, watch that fajanko business)

          falusi házikó bower

          Janko