Re: [S-R] ŠIROKMAN from LASTOMÍR / Etymology of a name.

  • gklodzen@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 19, 2008
      In a message dated 3/18/2008 9:50:12 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
      lepus_rex@... writes:

      According to family lore, the name was changed by my great-great-
      grandmother, Erzsébet Kocsan (Elizabeth/Lizzie
      Kochen/Sherohman/Kochen/Sherohman/<WBR>Kuchman) to make it easier for her
      pronounce.

      Interesting, indeed, especially with regard to your g-g grandmother Erzsebet
      KOCSAN. My KLADZAN (also not a very common surname) ancestors from Vinne
      (north of Lastomir in Ung County) immigrated to Bitumen, Pennsylvania in the
      late 1800s. By 1900 the family name had became KLODZEN on the Federal Census.

      My grandmother Anna PIKULA was also born in Lastomir, in 1859. A Catholic,
      the record of her birth/baptism was found in Micholovce church records. Her
      PIKULA family was happily found in the 1869 Hungarian Census of Lastomir.
      Unfortunately that Census is not yet available for village Vinne and my KLADZAN
      ancestors. Perhaps someday...

      Good luck on your research,
      Eugene Klodzen

      Home.

    • Will
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 19, 2008
        Thanks, Eugene. Pretty sure there's no connection, though. My KOCSANs
        are from Jernye/Jarovnice, up in Šariš. And they seem to have been
        there for quite some time: There are Kocsans there back in the 1715
        Urbarial Census[1] (They've mis-labelled the records from Jernye as
        being from Ternye/Teròa, although I've sent in a correction to the
        Hungarian National Archives via Arcanum.) There's even a Kocsány,
        which is interesting for a couple of reasons... Anyways, I haven't
        been able to trace *my* Kocsans back quite that far, yet, and so of
        course can't prove a link. But Kocsans owning land there in 1715
        seems to imply a long presence there, no?

        ---Will Anderson

        1. http://www.arcanum.hu/mol/lpext.dll/1715/393/4b3?
        f=templates&fn=document-frame.htm&q=Kocsan&x=Advanced&2.0

        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, gklodzen@... wrote:

        > In a message dated 3/18/2008 9:50:12 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
        > lepus_rex@... writes:
        >
        > According to family lore, the name was changed by my great-great-
        > grandmother, Erzsébet Kocsan (Elizabeth/Lizzie
        > Kochen/Sherohman/Kochen/Sherohman/<WBR>Kuchman) to make it easier
        for her
        > pronounce.
        >

        > Interesting, indeed, especially with regard to your g-g
        grandmother Erzsebet
        > KOCSAN. My KLADZAN (also not a very common surname) ancestors from
        Vinne
        > (north of Lastomir in Ung County) immigrated to Bitumen,
        Pennsylvania in the
        > late 1800s. By 1900 the family name had became KLODZEN on the
        Federal Census.

        > My grandmother Anna PIKULA was also born in Lastomir, in 1859. A
        Catholic,
        > the record of her birth/baptism was found in Micholovce church
        records. Her
        > PIKULA family was happily found in the 1869 Hungarian Census of
        Lastomir.
        > Unfortunately that Census is not yet available for village Vinne
        and my KLADZAN
        > ancestors. Perhaps someday...
        >
        > Good luck on your research,
        > Eugene Klodzen
        >

        > **************Create a Home Theater Like the Pros. Watch the video
        on AOL
        > Home.
        > (http://home.aol.com/diy/home-improvement-eric-stromer?video=15?
        ncid=aolhom00030000000001)

      • gklodzen@aol.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 20, 2008
          In a message dated 3/19/2008 3:34:42 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
          lepus_rex@... writes:

          Anyways, I haven't
          been able to trace *my* Kocsans back quite that far, yet, and so of
          course can't prove a link. But Kocsans owning land there in 1715
          seems to imply a long presence there, no?

          ---Will Anderson

          Very likely, Will. At least that's the case with my Irish ancestors,
          landowners in Northern Ireland for many years. In addition I have to tell you that
          finding my Slovak ancestors, actually within just the past year and to a large
          extent with the help of numerous members of this Yahoogroups site, has been
          a most rewarding experience. Of course one answer always leads to another
          question, and with luck, another ancestor.

          Enjoy the search,
          Eugene Klodzen

          Home.