RE: [S-R] Americans - Group Mail Rules/Guidelines

    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 13, 2008
      Hello Andrea & All,

      I am not going to censor every mail message that comes through. That is not
      the spirit of a discussion board. These are discussions and collaborations,
      not simply data exchanges.

      Before acceptance, every new member who applies to this group is asked to
      explain their intent and goals prior to joining. This not only screens out
      most (we do fail occasionally) spammers, but those with objectives which are
      vastly tangential to our own.

      Discussion groups are incessantly faced with poorly written, too-quickly
      written or cross-cultural comments that are mis-interpreted. I always give
      each author the opportunity to clarify him/herself when challenged. I often
      ask the author to explain further what is meant by a comment that may be
      misconstrued. This promotes a healthy exchange. I encourage you to do the
      same.

      Agree or disagree, these are my guiding principles for moderation:

      1. Off-group-topics are tolerated for two or three exchanges to see where
      they head. Oftentimes a seemingly off-topic item might have relevance that
      is only revealed later. If the exchange continues, I ask the correspondents
      to continue the dialog elsewhere.

      2. I do not tolerate personal attacks. Grounds for immediate dismissal from
      the list.

      3. We must be welcoming of new researchers. No question is too dumb or
      asked too many times. The person who is asking it for the 265th time is
      probably new to the group.

      4. Destructive behavior is not tolerated. Our goal is to help each other.

      5. I read every message and watch for emerging discussion trends.

      6. Three strikes and you're out. A gentle, private reminder first time. A
      firm private reminder second time. A third offense and you're taken off the
      list. I do not correct members publicly.

      I want this group to be a healthy exchange of ideas. I want to tolerate the
      exchange between the wise, the learning and the new.

      Ron and Joe are co-moderators and follow the same tenets.

      Regards,

      Bill Tarkulich