Re: Next Step?

  • Frank Kurchina
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 12 5:08 AM
      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@egroups.com, SalapaT@a... wrote:
      > Now that I finally have some time to seriously dive into research,
      started
      > by sending for my grandfather's SSN application. That turned out
      be one
      > of the best things that I did, since there was no one alive that
      could give
      > me this info.
      >
      > This is what I found out:
      >
      > My grandfather was John Salapa, his place of birth was Lesne,
      Czechoslovakia.
      > He was born on September 23, 1903 to George and Anna Salapa, and
      his
      > mother's maiden name was Zajac. My father never even heard of this
      name
      > before. It was a new name to begin to search on.
      >
      > My question is, since I will not be going to Slovakia any time
      soon,
      what is
      > the best course of action to start researching the family line over
      there. I
      > know that my grandfather's family stayed over there, only my
      grandfather and
      > his brother came to America. My father said that his Anna died and
      George
      > remarried, and had more kids, all stayed over there.
      >
      > All suggestions are appreciated.
      >
      > Thanks in advance,
      >
      > Tom Salapa

      ahoj Tom Salapa

      Don't know your surnames.
      This is a long reply.
      Perhaps it will assist other new surname researchers.

      This is what I found out :

      Lesné is located 220 miles ENE of Bratislava and
      6 miles west of Michalovce in eastern Slovakia.

      The Slovakia telephone directory lists 3 surname S^alapa
      (Shalapa) under Lesné and 3 surnames under Michalovce,
      Slovakia.
      Directory also lists 8 surname Zajac (Zayac) under Michalovce.

      What was surnames religion ?

      The LDS-Mormons has filmed all the parish church records at six
      of the seven regional Slovak State Archives in Slovakia.

      Family History Center (FHC) worldwide.

      LDS - Mormon FHCs - LOCATIONS

      http://www.lds.org/en/2_How_Do_I_Begin/4_Where_is.html

      Hungarian English
      rk.-RK. római katholikus Roman Catholic
      ag. AG. ágostai Evangelical (Lutheran)
      izr. IZR. izraelita Israelite (Jewish)

      Church records
      http://www.bmi.net/jjaso//

      In Slovak the matriky (parish church records)
      Krstení = Baptisms (Christenings)
      Sobás^ení = Marriages
      Zomrelí = Deaths

      In Hungarian the matriky are titled anyakönyvek.

      Halottak Anyakönyve = Death Records

      In Latin the matriky are titled matricula.
      Matricula Baptisatorum = Baptism Records
      Matricula Copulatorum = Marriage Records
      Matricula Defunctorum = Death Records

      Records are generally written in Hungarian and Latin/Greek.
      Usually cover the period 1750-1895.

      The LDS-Mormons have filmed G.C. parish church records
      (1811-1938) for Lesné.
      Listed under Pusté C^emerné, formerly Márk-Csemernye,
      Zemplén, Megye (county) Hungary.
      Text in Latin, Hungarian, and Church Slavonic*

      *
      http://vax.library.utoronto.ca/www/pjrc/fonts/OC-ALPHA.HTM

      The LDS-Mormons have filmed the R.C. parish church records
      (1790-1922) for Lesné.
      Listed under Niz^ny' Hrus^ov, formerly Alsó-Körtvélyes,
      Zemplén Megye (county), Hungary.
      Text in Latin and Hungarian.

      Happy hunting !