Re: [S-R] Basic Reading Reminder

  • John Venham
    Message 1 of 23 , Mar 12, 2008
      What can I say. I lost my trust after I received
      "research" from the Slovak archives saying ... cannot
      continue, not possible, doesn't exist. 80 USD
      Please.

      Then, after I learn Slovak, and go there to do my own
      research, I find out .... it IS possible to continue,
      the books do exist. only 15 crowns please ...

      John Venham

      === message truncated ===

      "The Journey is the Reward"

      Looking for last minute shopping deals?
    • Vladimir Linder
      Message 2 of 23 , Mar 12, 2008
        O, I see BOHNIC IN HOT WATER? WOW GREAT. Well he
        has been stepping on AMERICAN toes for a while.

        What he said he meant, and no excuses here!!

        For comments like this he should be bared
        immediately from this list, wouldn't you agree?

        Shame, shame, shame.

        We should have a wall of shame as they have, at
        the Vancouver Cancer Clinic if you forget your
        appointment card. There you go, pasted to the wall of shame.

        Vladi.

      • Nick Holcz
        Message 3 of 23 , Mar 12, 2008
          Excuse me, I agree with Vladimir.

          Nick
        • Nick Holcz
          Message 4 of 23 , Mar 12, 2008
            No baring allowed on this list.

            Nick
          • Vladimir Linder
            Message 5 of 23 , Mar 12, 2008
              JUST FRESH OFF THE PRESS.

              An agreement may be signed between USA and Slovakia of NO VISA
              REQUIREMENT for Slovak Citizens visiting USA on FRIDAY.

              FIREWORKS ARE IN ORDER!!.

              VLADI
            • Alan Antoska
              Message 6 of 23 , Mar 12, 2008
                Hmmm... just this Friday or visits on any Friday? :-))
                cheers

                --- Vladimir Linder <vlinder49@...> wrote:

                > JUST FRESH OFF THE PRESS.
                >
                > An agreement may be signed between USA and Slovakia of NO
                > VISA
                > REQUIREMENT for Slovak Citizens visiting USA on FRIDAY.
                >
                > FIREWORKS ARE IN ORDER!!.
                >
                > VLADI

                www.yahoo7.com.au/y7mail
              • Marilyn Hertenstein
                Message 7 of 23 , Mar 13, 2008
                  Can you give specific names and birthdates or marriage dates (even if it is
                  just the year), I have done a lot of research in those Markusovce records
                  of St. Michael and have copies of many pages. Perhaps I can help.

                  Marilyn

                  _____

                  Message 8 of 23 , Mar 13, 2008
                    Charles,
                    I thought this all sounded family and I see are not a newbie. You wrote about this family in July of 2007. We discussed what records were available from Markusovce, and I in fact sent you a copy of the birth record for Joseph Grunik born in 1874. I sent you the entry for the marriage of Mathias Grunik and Maria Babcsanik (Joseph's parents). I told you exactly what FHC films had them on, and sent you copies of various pages with names, dates, etc. I also sent you a photo of St. Michael's church. I also sent you the manifest for Joseph, as well as a census with the family name on. Did you lose all this, or did you just not follow up on it, or was this not your relative since the names that appear in the Markusovce records are Grunik not Gurnik? I never heard anything further from you, so I assumed this was what you were looking for or that you had rented the films from the given film numbers. Sorry if I assumed wrong.

                    Marilyn

                    _____

                    > The Mormons have been microfilming historic vital records worldwide
                    > for decades as part of their mission. The Mormons make their
                    > collection available to anyone for viewing at their Family History
                    > Centers (FHC).

                    I knew that, but as yet have not had any success.

                    > When searching for genealogical information, knowing the birth
                    > village is paramount because records are organized by village not
                    > nationally, so it is not possible to search on a national basis. It
                    > is also necessary to know the religion.

                    > LDS has Roman Catholic parish registers of baptisms, marriages,
                    > deaths and confirmations for Markušovce, Slovakia; formerly Márkus-
                    > Csépánfalu, Szepes, Hungary. Includes the affiliated towns of
                    > Èepanovce, Lieskovany, Teplièka, Rudòany, and Porác.

                    Are the records in Hungarian? And I should be searching by the
                    Hungarian desigantion "Márkus-Csépánfalu, Szepes"?

                    And all of the folllowing is in Hungarian also?

                    > Krsty 1697-1698, 1703-1752 Uzavreté manželstvá 1703-1753 Úmrtia 1715-
                    > 1723 - FHL INTL Film [ 1739642 Item 10 ]
                    >
                    > Krsty 1751-1753 Úmrtia 1723-1753 Krsty 1754-1843, 1852 Uzavreté
                    > manželstvá 1754-1843, 1852 Birmovaní 1832, 1816, 1824 Úmrtia 1754-
                    > 1842 Konvertiti 1810, 1840, 1843-1845 Konvertiti 1847, 1849
                    > Miešanyʹch maželstiev 1795, 1797, 1810, 1816 Birmovaní 1804 Úmrtia
                    > 1842-1843, 1852 - FHL INTL Film [ 1739643 Items 1 - 2 ]
                    >
                    > Krsty 1844-1852 Birmovaní 1919 Uzavreté manželstvá 1844-1852 Úmrtia
                    > 1844-1852 Krsty 1852-1868 - FHL INTL Film [ 1739643 Items 3-6 ]
                    >
                    > Krsty 1868-1894 Birmovaní 1852, 1865 Uzavreté manželstvá 1852-1883
                    > Úmrtia 1852-1883 Birmovaní 1878 - FHL INTL Film [ 1739644 ]
                    >
                    > Uzavreté manželstvá 1883-1896 Úmrtia 1883-1896 - FHL INTL Film [
                    > 1739645 Items 1-2 ]
                    >

                    > LOCATE YOUR NEAREST FAMILY HISTORY CENTER AND ORDER FILM

                    I guess I need to bite that bullet to go further :).

                    Thanks
                    cvt

                  • charlestintera
                    Message 9 of 23 , Mar 14, 2008
                      Marilyn - you are right that was me and I am not a newbie. In fact I
                      can claim that I was a newbie before Yahoo was.

                      I do not do view this or several other forum on a continuous basis so
                      I do lose track of what I wrote or posted.

                      The message about the LDS microfilms confused me. So I asked if the
                      text (example: Krsty 1751-1753 Úmrtia 1723-1753 Krsty 1754-1843, 1852
                      Uzavreté manželstvá 1754-1843, 1852 Birmovaní 1832, 1816, 1824 Úmrtia
                      1754-) was Hungarian as versus Slovak, or Czech, or Latin, or German, or ?

                      This apparently provoked some comment about what users can expect from
                      the forum. I have observed that before, in other forums, when
                      impatience seemed to strike without warning. If asked I would say
                      that a stiff jolt of libation and a break was in order!

                      No offense meant and none taken.

                      cvt

                      "worthy
                      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Marilyn Hertenstein"
                      <mjhertenstein@...> wrote:

                      > Charles,
                      > I thought this all sounded family and I see are not a newbie. You
                      wrote about this family in July of 2007.

                      > Marilyn
                    • charlestintera
                      Message 10 of 23 , Mar 14, 2008
                        Marilyn you will see my first reply in another post.

                        To expand further - I was looking for comments re: "Could it be that
                        there was a "chapel" or ? that was closer to Dolina where the
                        marriage, birth and baptisms were recorded? When and where were
                        ceremonies recorded? On the precise date (obviously impractical for
                        births)or later dates?"

                        Putting myself into Grammpa and Gramma shoes I have begun to wonder if
                        the assumption that ALL births, deaths, marriages, etc were recorded
                        in the St. Michaels records wasn't, maybe, just a little bit to
                        modern? From the spot that I have identified as Dolina to beautiful,
                        down-town Markosovce (yes I am being cheeky, tongue and all) must be
                        all of two (?) miles but if you had to walk it I can see that
                        recording things might lag the actual event. They (written records)
                        might wait until the recorder (priest?) came to a local chapel.

                        cvt

                        <mjhertenstein@...> wrote:

                        > Can you give specific names and birthdates or marriage dates (even
                        if it is
                        > just the year), I have done a lot of research in those Markusovce
                        records
                        > of St. Michael and have copies of many pages. Perhaps I can help.
                        >
                        > Marilyn
                        >
                        > _____

                      • Marilyn Hertenstein
                        Message 11 of 23 , Mar 14, 2008
                          So cvt, did you ever get to a Family History Center to view the LDS
                          microfilms? Did you rent any of the Markusovce films? They were in Latin
                          and some in Hungarian. The Latin ones were quite easy to read, and for many
                          years the priest or scribe had beautiful handwriting or printing ability.
                          The Hungarian ones were a little harder to read, but nonetheless readable
                          with knowledge of a few key words and knowing the right name to look for
                          (Istvan for Stefan, etc).
                          Update when you can.

                          Good to see you are still researching.
                          Marilyn

                          _____

                          Marilyn - you are right that was me and I am not a newbie. In fact I
                          can claim that I was a newbie before Yahoo was.

                          I do not do view this or several other forum on a continuous basis so
                          I do lose track of what I wrote or posted.

                          The message about the LDS microfilms confused me. So I asked if the
                          text (example: Krsty 1751-1753 �mrtia 1723-1753 Krsty 1754-1843, 1852
                          Uzavret� man�elstv� 1754-1843, 1852 Birmovan� 1832, 1816, 1824 �mrtia

                          <mjhertenstein@...> wrote:

                          > Charles,
                          > I thought this all sounded family and I see are not a newbie. You
                          wrote about this family in July of 2007.

                          > Marilyn

                        • Marilyn Hertenstein
                          Message 12 of 23 , Mar 14, 2008
                            CVT, it's hard to say, and I will wait with interest to see if any other
                            post might answer your questions about a chapel or visiting priest. As for
                            me, I'm still in search of the mysterious Sontagsgrund, a village that
                            appears over and over in the Markusovce records, but is not found on any of
                            the maps. One person suggested it was just an area near the church, sort of
                            a neighborhood, but I'll keep hunting.

                            Happy hunting,
                            Marilyn

                            _____

                            <mjhertenstein@...> wrote:

                            > Can you give specific names and birthdates or marriage dates (even
                            if it is
                            > just the year), I have done a lot of research in those Markusovce
                            records
                            > of St. Michael and have copies of many pages. Perhaps I can help.
                            >
                            > Marilyn
                            >
                            > _____
                            >
                            > From: SLOVAK-ROOTS@ <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com>
                            yahoogroups.com